Fwd: NATAP: Pot Blocks IFN Suppression of HCV

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2005
      NATAP http://natap.org/
      CANNABINOIDS BLOCK INTERFERON-MEDIATED
      SUPPRESSION OF HEPATITIS C VIRUS (HCV) REPLICATION

      Reported by Jules Levin
      http://www.natap.org
      from AASLD
      Nov 11, 2005, San Francisco

      Seela Ramesh, Faridodin Mirshahi, Jayanta Choudhury, Arun Sanyal, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA

      Background: Many patients with HCV infection use cannabinoids. Cannabinoid receptor activation has both direct effects on hepatocytes and T-cell function. These could affect the virologic response to HCV treatment. The potential effects of cannabinoids on interferon-mediated suppression of viral replication were not
      known.

      Specific Aims: To define the effects of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and methanandamide (MA) a CB receptor agonist on interferonmediated suppression of HCV replication in hepatocytes.

      Methods: HCV virus replication was measured by negative strand quantitative PCR in a commercially available HCV replicon system (APATH). The effects of increasing doses of MA (0-3 uM) and THC (0-1.5 uM) on HCV replication was first measured.

      Next, the effect of MA and THC on a-interferon mediated suppression of HCV replication was measured. The specificity of these effects were tested by pharmacologic blockade of CB1 and CB2 receptors.

      Next, the effects of MA on interferon-mediated increased on protein kinase R (PKR) and interferon response factor (IRF) mRNA (measured by qPCR), and protein (measured by Western blot) were measured.

      Results: Compared to controls, MA and THC produced a 40-62% decrease in HCV replication. These effects were most marked after 12 hours of exposure. As expected, IFN (5000 IU/ml) produced a 90% inhibition of HCV replication.

      MA as well as THC blocked the IFN-mediated inhibition of HCV replication. These effects could be blocked by the CB1 receptor antagonist SR 141716 but not by a CB2 antagonist SR144528. MA and THC also blocked the interferon-mediated increase in PKR and IRF mRNA and protein.

      Conclusions: THC and other CB1 receptor agonists can block the IFN-mediated suppression of HCV replication in a replicon system by inhibiting IFN-induction of IRF and PKR. The clinical relevance of these data should be assessed by correlation of cannabinoid use with virologic response to IFN therapy.

    • avansi7465
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2005
        Gee am I ever glad I'm allergic to pot. If I am around the smoke or inhale, I have a massive asthma attack....emergency room style. God sometimes blesses in strange ways. Somewhere I have an article that states, based on autopsy reports that pot smoking is four times worse for the liver than is alcohol consumption.
        Thanks for the info, Claudine. Anne

      • alleypat@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2005
          Does that mean it blocks only those on interferon? It's talking about "interferon-mediated suppression " Not sure that follows through for people not on interferon? or who are negative due to treatment?

          "Compared to controls, MA and THC produced a 40-62% decrease in HCV replication. These effects were most marked after 12 hours of exposure. As expected, IFN (5000 IU/ml) produced a 90% inhibition of HCV replication. "

          Seems to be saying MA & THC inhibit HCV replication to some degree?

          I didn't see anything about affecting the liver in the article. But I only scanned thru it.

          Alley
          www.geocities.com/dfwhcv