Re: Help from Cuba to New Orleans

  • micky
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
      Thanks for your reply Sally. What always comes to my mind is how the
      Americans are nationalists and very proud of their country - something
      lacking in our country!! And eventhough people are helping, the help
      is not enough and when other countries offer their help, they deny it.
      I know Cuba is not America's "best friend" but the solidarity in cases
      like this is essential.

      Anyhow, I hope New Orleans is re-built and people are looked after.
      New Orleans is the berth of soul music, it is a post card to America
      and it should get all the attention as well as Mississipi with all the
      oil platforms and the beuatiful river rides. Shame....

      Micky
    • avansi7465
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
        Dear Micky,

        Thank you for your sympathies. Although we weren't hit this time, we have been before and in all likelihood, will be again. Over the years, I've lost a home and had others damaged. Hurricanes are something you prepare for or run from, depending on their strenth. The blessing is that we now have the technology to be forewarned, which saves multiple lives.

        I would like to be able to give you an intelligent answer to your question, but I wasn't aware that Cuba had made such an offer. There is an organization called "Doctors without Borders" and another called "Operation Smile", which my husband has done volunteer work for in Haiti. I have called those that I know, but have yet to receive answers. When I do, I'll pass them on to you.

        Although I can't speak for "Doctors without Borders", I do know that "Operation Smile" has offered to go to Cuba with the benefit (from the US Navy) of using GTMO as a staging area and been summarily refused. These physicians are some of the best plastic and reconstructive surgeons and oncologist in the "business". They have been to Russia, Czechloslavikia, to name a few. Castro turned them down flat.

        I agree with you. When faced with a calamity such as Katrina or the tsunami in Indonesia, human life and health care should know no borders. But be reminded that when the doctors were begging for help, there was no physical way to get anybody into New Orleans that wasn't already there.

        I watched Princeville (Freedom Hill) and Franklin pull themselves out of the muck of flooding with very little help in the beginning. This, of course, is a much bigger and more catastrophic situation, but the same rules apply. We have to band together.

        Please do not let New Orleans be the only "picture postcard" you keep in mind when you think of America. I love New Orleans and have visited many times, as I have friends who live (excuse me-used to live there-and are welcome here, until the house fills up), but it isn't a city that I would hold up as a model of what an American City is made up of.

        I do agree with Sally that the better organization to donate to is the Salvation Army. As a Methodist, our church is networking with other churches in that district to send whatever they ask for that we can find and ship.

        Still on dry land, but the season "ain't" over 'til she's over,

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
          HI.There could also be a outbreak of Hep.A.The incubation periode is 3 weeks and with all the contaminated water it.s most likely.People who also Have HepC. could prove 90% fatal.There must be a significant number of people in New Orleans who hve HepC.,being poor,drug abuse etc..The people who hve been in the Superdome,broken down toilets etc.should be closely monitored.Let.s hope the administration will take care of them.Willem.
[...]

          Hepatitis c new treatment Hepatitis c testing Hepatitis c virus

        • Sally Hines
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
            Willem,

            I hope for the same. But my hopes are weak. The immediate treatment of all
            leaving the hurricane affected areas that flooded should be HVA immunization
            and HCV testing. And then careful watching for any symptoms not only with
            the individual person, but within the groups, as the HVA virus is readily
            spread among groups living together.

            I believe, unfortunately, that the realistic occurrence of this is slim.

            Sally

[...]

            Service.

          • avansi7465
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
              Amen! Officials seem to be having a very difficult time getting the die-hards to leave. After Floyd, we were without water for two weeks, but we had a generator and a neighbor had a well. So we boiled water, first on the grill and then on the gass stoves. I wouldn't want to live like that forever, but it is managable, if you prepare. Once we got water, we still couldn't use it for anything but flushing comodes. Somewhere in that time frame, I considered building an outhouse........even offered up the shed. The good news is we had very little sewage back up, but our water still isn't right. We were lucky, unlike the people in Princeville who's town virtually disappeared. Their levy broke. The townspeople sandbagged prior to the storm and during.....to no avail.

              I have a friend who is a physician in New Orleans. He's a professor at Tulane. I'm forwarding your e-mail to him as a reminder, although I'm sure someone has already had that thought. The refugees here are already being tested for Hep A and other things........especially the children entering our school system. More later, Anne