Help from Cuba to New Orleans

  • Micky Woolf
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
      Hello,

      First of all, I would like to send my sympathy to all our friends and relatives in the affected areas. It is sad and disgraceful to watch what is happening there.

      I have a question that is bugging me and please don't take me wrong: why on Earth doesn't the US accept the help offered by Cuban's doctors without borders group? They offered 1536 doctors and medications for people in those affected areas and the US hasn't replied yet (as far as we, in Brazil, know).
      People are needing medical assistance urgently as per a doctor in CNN yesterday, they do not have enough staff to attend all those people - wouldn't it be good if those 1536 doctors went there to help?
      I am sorry to make this comment, but I can't find a decent answer to that.
      Leave the political issues aside, we are talking of human lives, for G-d sake!

      love
      Micky

    • Sally Hines
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
        Micky,

        Thank you for your sympathies. I send mine also. I'm not in the affected
        area, but I *am* a US citizen. And why the US doesn't answer or accept?
        Well, because the gummint is a bunch of jerks? Heck, they can't even talk to
        each other, even within their own departments. And that's on many levels.

        A second reason is that they seem to want to put the ARC (American Red
        Cross) up as a quasi governmental department of its own. Personally, having
        worked with and seen the bureaucracy of the ARC I'd rather have the
        ineffectual FEMA and Homeland Security departments of the Feds take the
        money and run. But that's my own political bias. I had the misfortune of
        living in the area of the US Capitol and witnessed the mess that exists in
        the ARC home office there. The policy seems to be "take the money and run".
        I'd give my assistance and money (if I had any) to Salvation Army or St.
        Vincent de Paul, who are both very strong, and lacking the central rigid
        structure that plagues the gummint and the ARC and makes them ineffective in
        a situation such as this.

        Sally (not a libertarian)

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
          Thanks for your reply Sally. What always comes to my mind is how the
          Americans are nationalists and very proud of their country - something
          lacking in our country!! And eventhough people are helping, the help
          is not enough and when other countries offer their help, they deny it.
          I know Cuba is not America's "best friend" but the solidarity in cases
          like this is essential.

          Anyhow, I hope New Orleans is re-built and people are looked after.
          New Orleans is the berth of soul music, it is a post card to America
          and it should get all the attention as well as Mississipi with all the
          oil platforms and the beuatiful river rides. Shame....

          Micky
        • avansi7465
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
            Dear Micky,

            Thank you for your sympathies. Although we weren't hit this time, we have been before and in all likelihood, will be again. Over the years, I've lost a home and had others damaged. Hurricanes are something you prepare for or run from, depending on their strenth. The blessing is that we now have the technology to be forewarned, which saves multiple lives.

            I would like to be able to give you an intelligent answer to your question, but I wasn't aware that Cuba had made such an offer. There is an organization called "Doctors without Borders" and another called "Operation Smile", which my husband has done volunteer work for in Haiti. I have called those that I know, but have yet to receive answers. When I do, I'll pass them on to you.

            Although I can't speak for "Doctors without Borders", I do know that "Operation Smile" has offered to go to Cuba with the benefit (from the US Navy) of using GTMO as a staging area and been summarily refused. These physicians are some of the best plastic and reconstructive surgeons and oncologist in the "business". They have been to Russia, Czechloslavikia, to name a few. Castro turned them down flat.

            I agree with you. When faced with a calamity such as Katrina or the tsunami in Indonesia, human life and health care should know no borders. But be reminded that when the doctors were begging for help, there was no physical way to get anybody into New Orleans that wasn't already there.

            I watched Princeville (Freedom Hill) and Franklin pull themselves out of the muck of flooding with very little help in the beginning. This, of course, is a much bigger and more catastrophic situation, but the same rules apply. We have to band together.

            Please do not let New Orleans be the only "picture postcard" you keep in mind when you think of America. I love New Orleans and have visited many times, as I have friends who live (excuse me-used to live there-and are welcome here, until the house fills up), but it isn't a city that I would hold up as a model of what an American City is made up of.

            I do agree with Sally that the better organization to donate to is the Salvation Army. As a Methodist, our church is networking with other churches in that district to send whatever they ask for that we can find and ship.

            Still on dry land, but the season "ain't" over 'til she's over,

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
              HI.There could also be a outbreak of Hep.A.The incubation periode is 3 weeks and with all the contaminated water it.s most likely.People who also Have HepC. could prove 90% fatal.There must be a significant number of people in New Orleans who hve HepC.,being poor,drug abuse etc..The people who hve been in the Superdome,broken down toilets etc.should be closely monitored.Let.s hope the administration will take care of them.Willem.
[...]

              Hepatitis c new treatment Hepatitis c testing Hepatitis c virus

            • Sally Hines
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
                Willem,

                I hope for the same. But my hopes are weak. The immediate treatment of all
                leaving the hurricane affected areas that flooded should be HVA immunization
                and HCV testing. And then careful watching for any symptoms not only with
                the individual person, but within the groups, as the HVA virus is readily
                spread among groups living together.

                I believe, unfortunately, that the realistic occurrence of this is slim.

                Sally

[...]

                Service.

              • avansi7465
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
                  Amen! Officials seem to be having a very difficult time getting the die-hards to leave. After Floyd, we were without water for two weeks, but we had a generator and a neighbor had a well. So we boiled water, first on the grill and then on the gass stoves. I wouldn't want to live like that forever, but it is managable, if you prepare. Once we got water, we still couldn't use it for anything but flushing comodes. Somewhere in that time frame, I considered building an outhouse........even offered up the shed. The good news is we had very little sewage back up, but our water still isn't right. We were lucky, unlike the people in Princeville who's town virtually disappeared. Their levy broke. The townspeople sandbagged prior to the storm and during.....to no avail.

                  I have a friend who is a physician in New Orleans. He's a professor at Tulane. I'm forwarding your e-mail to him as a reminder, although I'm sure someone has already had that thought. The refugees here are already being tested for Hep A and other things........especially the children entering our school system. More later, Anne