strange question

  • tammster62
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30 8:22 PM
      Does anyone know of grants or scholarships that are available to help
      your kid out when they go to college? After a year of treatment, money
      is tight and we are trying to get our oldest into college next year. I
      am looking anywhere to try to get some money to help. Has anyone ever
      heard of anything?
      <><TammieD><>
    • Mzgee1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2005
        Hi Tammie...yes...we have 1 in college and another going next year. You MUST
        apply first for FAFSA...that's the fed's financila aid thingy....they will
        either give u some help or nothing. That can be done online...jsut make sure to
        ahve ur tax info handy & Social Sec. #'s. You will first be asked to get an
        ID....after getting the ID # for your child, you can then proceed to do the
        form...about 15 pages or so, maybe anhour of ur time. Getting the ID takes a
        few days - a week to get..that's also done online at FAFSA. Last year they gave
        us nothing..this year, however, with 2 being in college 2205/2006 they gave
        us 4,000 for 1 and 3,000 for the other.....so that helps some. After u either
        get $$$ or not from them, u can then apply for student loans, which are done
        thru the school itself. Not a big deal, but alot of phone calls and online
        stuff. But u really should do ALL of that ASAP. You will not be able to apply
        for Student Loans unless u have done the FAFSA. Most schools have a few banks
        and also the Federal Student Loan. The easiest is to go thru the Feds on that
        one too. Good luck. Haven't participated in the emails in a long time but
        still get them and read them so if there's anything else u want to ask just
        email..Gail