cymbalta

  • Shshonee (Alley)
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2005
      Hey, has anyone taken Cymbalta for neuropathic type pain?

      I did my shrink visit last week and got a refill of the Provigil for energy and he gave me Cymbalta for pain. We're trying to manage my pain without pain pills, though I'm always suspicious of any pill LOL. I took my first one today, the Cymbalta and it gave me a queasy stomach for a while then put me to sleep for a few hours. But when I woke up, I am in less pain. That could be from the nap, but probably not, as even lying down doesn't offer relief to some of my pains.

      I knew better than to start it during the week. It works on serotonin and norepinephrine. I'm always suspicious of serotonin stuff because anti-d's that work on that (SSRI's) make me sleepy and groggy. That's why I had to use Wellbutrin instead. I hate the thot of taking another pill. But if it works, what the hey.

      The website says Cymbalta is for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain. But neuropathy occurs in more than diabetics. Anyway, here's what it said:

      In DPNP, the nervous system becomes damaged and overly sensitive. Even very light touch or the slightest movement may trigger pain. While DPNP can occur at any time, the most likely to develop it are those who have had diabetes for a long time. People who have had problems controlling their blood sugar levels, have high blood pressure, are overweight, or are over the age of 40 also may have a greater risk of developing diabetes-related nerve damage.

      You may think of pain as "all in your head" but feeling pain is actually a physical process. For example, if you feel pain in your foot, a pain signal has traveled up the spinal cord and into the brain.

      An important part of the pain signaling system involves two naturally occurring chemical messengers, or neurotransmitters, serotonin and norepinephrine. These chemicals exist in the brain and spinal cord and are thought to help dampen or "turn down" the feelings of pain.

      Alley
      www.alleypat.com
      www.alleypat.com/blog
      Not used for purpose used for

      "The artistic representation of history is a more serious pursuit than the exact writing of history, for the art of letters goes to the heart of things."
      Aristotle