Hepatitis Vets to March on DC, June 15-16

  • Rocco ARTURO
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005
      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:23:45 -0500
      From: "Daniel Cedusky" <ColonelDan@...<mailto:ColonelDan@...>>
      Subject: Hepatitis Vets to March on DC, June 15-16

      <http://www.march-on-dc.com/<http://www.march-on-dc.com/>> http://www.march-on-dc.com/<http://www.march-on-dc.com/>

      Why We March on DC for Awareness

      Hepatitis C (HCV) is labeled the "Silent Killer" because many have no
      recognizable symptoms for years. HCV is also listed as one of the top five
      diseases missed by medical professionals. Of middle aged adults, 2.3% of
      the population is infected with this virus. Of these patients, up to 30%
      will develop cirrhosis, leading to liver cancer.
      <http://www.march-on-dc.com/#1.__#1<http://www.march-on-dc.com/#1.__#1>.__> (1)

      In the early stages of infection, most patients usually report a history of
      fatigue and malaise although the liver and other body systems/organs begin
      to fail. HCV is usually diagnosed only when irreversible liver damage
      (cirrhosis) is established. Yet, the best outcomes for HCV patients depend
      upon early recognition of the infection.

      HCV infects all races, genders, and across all socioeconomic backgrounds.
      Young women, average age 24 years old, are the fastest growing segment
      currently being diagnosed with HCV. This is not all due to drug use, but due
      to lack of understanding the transmission methods for this virus.
      <http://www.march-on-dc.com/#2._#2<http://www.march-on-dc.com/#2._#2>._> (2)

      At least one-third and up to a half of infected children acquired infection
      during the pregnancy from positive mothers.(3)
      <http://www.march-on-dc.com/#3.#3<http://www.march-on-dc.com/#3.#3>.>

      Though the infection rate is at epidemic proportions, only a mere 20% are
      aware of their HCV positive status. Unlike Hepatitis A and B, there is
      currently no vaccine for the prevention of the Hepatitis C Virus, the most
      deadly of the Hepatitis family. (4) <http://www.march-on-dc.com/#4.#4<http://www.march-on-dc.com/#4.#4>.>

      Current treatment options are difficult to tolerate and success rates
      average 40% or so, for most people. Military veterans, attending Veterans
      Administration Clinics, are helped only 17.2% of the time. (5)
      <http://www.march-on-dc.com/#5.#5<http://www.march-on-dc.com/#5.#5>.>

      These are shameful statistics for our defenders of freedom.

      Contact:

      Hepatitis C Movement for Awareness

      110 Glover Circle

      Staunton, VA 24401

      Phone: 540/248-7324

      E-mail: HMAwareness@...<mailto:HMAwareness@...>

      Wednesday & Thursday, June 15-16
      Join our members from your state, help educate legislator on Hepatitis C
      patient issues.

      _____

      Thursday, June 16- 7:00 p.m. - Kick Off Rally Meet old, and new friends,
      from the Hepatitis C community! Open registration & purchase t-shirts for
      the march. In addition, participate in our Chinese auction to benefit
      awareness. Please bring a "new" gift donation, as a contribution for our
      auction tables.

      _____

      Friday, June 17- 11:00 a.m. - Rally on the National Mall, located at 3rd
      Street across from the Capitol - where our march will commence.

      * 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. Guest Speakers from the Hepatitis C Community.

      * 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Dinner and Raffle Each guest is responsible for
      their own meal.

      _____

      Saturday, June 18- National Testing Day

      * 10:00 a.m. - HCV Awareness tables, Volunteers will man Awareness
      Tables set up at the Capitol Mall. We will offer information to the public
      on Hepatitis C Awareness and Testing. People with Military backgrounds are
      encouraged to visit the informational on service related transmission
      methods and Veterans Administration claims.

      * 8:00 p.m. - Candlelight Vigil Participants will light candles and
      read names in remembrance of all those that passed from this devastating
      disease. Feel free to bring photos of loved ones.

      _____

      The International Quilts will be
      on display all three days

      _____

      To All Member Organizations, Forum Hosts/Hostesses and Support Group
      Leaders:
      Your forum, or support organization, can be represented on a banner at this
      year's HMA March on DC, 2005!

      Rather than be a purely self promoting, we would like to see the banners
      support awareness, ie:
      "ABC Liver Forum Supports Hepatitis C Awareness", and include your URL to
      your site.

      Groups are responsible for ordering the banners and all costs associated
      with it. All funds to print the banner should come from private sources, or
      individual forum fundraisers. The banners are used to promote awareness, and
      cannot advertise commercial or pharmaceutical products.

      Here is the link, to the company that produced the banner for us
      h <http://onlinesigns.biz/orderbanner.htm<http://onlinesigns.biz/orderbanner.htm>>
      <http://onlinesigns.biz/orderbanner.htm<http://onlinesigns.biz/orderbanner.htm>>
      ttp://onlinesigns.biz/orderbanner.htm

      They offer low prices and good service, and all can be ordered online.

      Signs 4 Less
      Route 3 Box 96
      Williamstown, WV 26187