Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] werkin gurl/Bextra

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005
      "Shshonee (Alley)" <shshonee@...> wrote:

      >>Also he advised me to take CLA, anyone know anything about that? I can't tell if it's doing anything.<<

      CLA = conjugated linoleic acid I really know nothing about it. I have to admit I'm getting a little gun-shy with "supplements". It seems that so frequently down the road they find side-effects, draw-backs, etc. Of course, here in the US we seem to think that if a little bit of something is good, A LOT must be better! Unfortunately, it's just not true!!! You might check out this site:

      http://www.lef.org/prod_hp/abstracts/php-ab153.html

      >>I take Bextra, not daily but a few days a week, but I dread when I run out. Vioxx and Celebrex do nothing for me. Naproxen works well but upsets my gastric system after a while.<<
      Bad news - Bextra got pulled from the market on April 7th! Here is an article on it:

      Medscape Alert
      Bextra Withdrawn From Market

      April 7, 2005 � At the request of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Pfizer, Inc, has agreed to suspend sales and marketing of valdecoxib (Bextra) pending further discussions with the agency. The FDA claims that the drug's overall risks outweigh the potential benefits, according to an alert sent today from MedWatch, the FDA's safety information and adverse event reporting program.

      The decision follows a joint public meeting of the FDA�s Arthritis Drugs/Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory committees, held in February to review safety data compiled from clinical trials and postmarketing reports.

      According to the FDA, the request was based on a lack of adequate data regarding the cardiovascular (CV) safety of long-term valdecoxib use and the increased risk of adverse CV events observed in trials of valdecoxib in coronary artery bypass postsurgical patients that may be relevant to chronic use.

      In addition, the FDA has received reports of serious and potentially life-threatening skin reactions causing some fatalities in patients receiving valdecoxib therapy. The risk of these reactions is considered unpredictable; the reactions have occurred with both short- and long-term use and in patients with and without a history of sulfa allergy.

      Patients receiving valdecoxib therapy are advised to contact their healthcare providers to arrange for alternative therapy. The FDA notes that valdecoxib has not been associated with any advantages compared with other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

      As a result of the meeting, the FDA has also asked manufacturers to revise the labeling for all prescription NSAIDs, including celecoxib (Celebrex, made by Pfizer, Inc), to include stronger warnings on the increased risk of CV events and potentially life-threatening gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding associated with their use. Medication guides are to be dispensed with each prescription to inform patients of the potential CV and GI risks and to advise on safe use of the drug.

      Labels for over-the-counter NSAIDs will also include more specific information concerning CV and GI risks, and they will warn of potential skin reactions. The labeling revisions do not apply to aspirin because it has been shown in clinical trials to reduce the risk of serious adverse CV events in certain populations.

      Additional information, including a list of affected NSAIDs, is available on the FDA's Web site at http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/cox2/default.htm. Information can also be obtained by calling 1-888-INFO-FDA (888-463-6332).

      Adverse events related to use of valdecoxib and other NSAIDs can be reported to the FDA's MedWatch program by phone at 1-800-FDA-1088, by fax at 1-800-FDA-0178, online at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch, or by mail to 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20852-9787.

      Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD

      You have my sympathy! I took Vioxx, maximum dose, for something like 2 years, and the lower dose for about 3 years prior to that! Funny thing happened about 2 months after I quit taking it - my borderline, almost high blood pressure dropped way down to very good levels! So, even though my joints and muscles hurt, at least my cardiovascular system is better off. My doc tried me on 'Arthrotec', which is diclofenac with Cytotec in it to help with the GI symptoms (as in ulcer-type stuff). It worked GREAT for the pain. However, the GI side effects of the Cytotec itself are horrible, and I have quit taking it entirely. Not sure what I will do. I seem to be surviving on ibuprofen for now. Ironically, I think the best thing I have done for my back and neck problems was to change vehicles! My chiropractor told me a long time ago to quit driving a standard.

      >>But hey, I'll feel better on payday! :) <<

      Hold that thought!!!!!

    • Shshonee (Alley)
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 13, 2005
        Claudine,

        Thanks for the info. I know Bextra got pulled, fortunately, I have an almost
        full prescription. You know if they studied aspirin like that, it'd get
        pulled off the shelves too. Yes, I'm being farfetched, but you know what I
        mean. I understand their concerns, but I also know it works for me and I
        don't meet the criteria for the problem areas, so I think the benefits for
        me outweigh the risks.

        Regardless, it means finding another medication to get rid of the fibro pain
        so I can work. I had to do a drug test before accepting this job, the first
        time for a drug test for me in all my 49 years lol, and I told them I take
        vicoprofen and showed them the bottle and thot well, there goes this job,
        but I got it anyway, so maybe they do know the difference between a
        prescription and a drug dealer with a prescription LOL (just kidding, sort
        of :).

        But I was thinkin it was Murphy's Law - if I was going to get screwed, this
        would do it haha.

        Well, I'll work as long as I can stand it. I know what you mean Claudine,
        those darn pills. I am curious to see what my doc will put me on now.

        Good morning yall! I'm up before 5am, my new routine. I'll be exhausted by
        noon but that's life haha.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 14, 2005
          In a message dated 4/13/2005 12:26:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          claudineintexas@... writes:

          My chiropractor told me a long time ago to quit driving a standard.

          Claudine, did your chiropractor give you a reason for that? Anne

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 14, 2005
            >claudineintexas@... writes:

            >My chiropractor told me a long time ago to quit driving a >standard.

            Claudine, did your chiropractor give you a reason for that?
            Yes. I have back problems. Mostly my neck, but my lower back and especially the left sacroiliac joint/hip area ache and will flare up now and again. He said having to push the clutch in over and over was aggravating my lower back. I started driving a Jeep Liberty last November, and it is automatic and the seat also has great lumbar support. My lower back began to feel better almost immediately, but very gradually my neck has gotten better too. I never expected that, but since it's all connected I guess it makes sense!

          • Mark Middle Mountain
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
              > >My chiropractor told me a long time ago to quit driving a >standard.
              >

              > Claudine, did your chiropractor give you a reason for that?
              > Yes. I have back problems.

              I thought it was because you popped the clutch in his parking lot and
              broadsided him while backing out :-)
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
                In a message dated 4/15/2005 1:02:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                claudineintexas@... writes:

                Yes. I have back problems. Mostly my neck, but my lower back and especially
                the left sacroiliac joint/hip area ache and will flare up now and again. He
                said having to push the clutch in over and over was aggravating my lower back.
                I started driving a Jeep Liberty last November, and it is automatic and the
                seat also has great lumbar support. My lower back began to feel better almost
                immediately, but very gradually my neck has gotten better too. I never
                expected that, but since it's all connected I guess it makes sense

                Okay, that does make sense. I'm delighted for you. My mine is right side,
                which is probably why know one has suggested that to me. We bought an
                automatic, but I hate it. It's the first one I've owned in years and it is taking
                me forever to get used to it. I have some exercises that my orthopedic
                surgeon gave me, if you'd like for me to pass them on. Anything that lessens one
                problem is a good thing.
                Thanks,

              • Shshonee (Alley)
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005
                  And I got PAID!!!!!

                  Makes all the aches and pain worth it................. sort of haha. :)

                  Some days I wondered how I'd make it. But it's coming along. My feet and
                  legs hurt like mad tho, even when I'm not working. Anyone use those leg wrap
                  things that massage? I had one in the hospital when I had surgery.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005
                    In a message dated 4/16/2005 12:03:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    shshonee@... writes:

                    Some days I wondered how I'd make it. But it's coming along. My feet and
                    legs hurt like mad tho, even when I'm not working. Anyone use those leg wrap
                    things that massage? I had one in the hospital when I had surgery

                    Ask your doc about a Tenz unit? they work miracles! Anne

                  • Shshonee (Alley)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005
                      Isn't that what chiropractors use? I hate them. lol things like that just irritate the *** out of me :)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005
                        In a message dated 4/16/2005 3:37:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        shshonee@... writes:

                        Isn't that what chiropractors use? I hate them. lol things like that just
                        irritate the *** out of me :)

                        My orthopedic surgeon gave me mine at the same time he told me that my
                        injuries made me a VERY poor candidate for surgery. Bear in mind that he did not
                        know that I had HCV at that point. However, had he suggested surgeon, that
                        information would have been the next sentence out of my mouth.
                        Oh well, just a thought.