Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] question about meds

  • Mark Middle Mountain
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
      You might ask your nurse if s/he has any extra medicine on hand. After the
      first 3 shots i took , my WBC had continued to drop so the doc said cut it
      to 3/4 dose. I hadn't brought my pegasys with me, and the nurse wanted to be
      sure I understood how to adjust the dose, so she pulled out a coupleof pre
      loaded syringes and gave them to me. They were almost out of date anyway. I
      figure when I am finished, I will give her any extra I have left over.

      A possibility.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
        In a message dated 4/11/2005 5:35:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        claudineintexas@... writes:

        I think you really need to take ALL your meds. Who changed your insurance?
        Is this a group policy from an employer? Is there a person in charge of the
        insurance/human resources that you can go and talk to? They may be able to
        find a way to get your meds for you. There is usually some type of provision for
        people with ongoing medical treatments when a company changes insurance
        companies. Don't let them brush you off. I can't say for sure, but this may be
        covered under HIPAA requirements.

        Dear Tammie,

        I think that you should take all your meds, too. Especially in light of the
        fact that they are working.

        Even with the insurance change, the doc and or pharmacy still has to bill
        the insurance company, which takes awhile, then you get to stall, and they
        rebill, then you get to stall, again. By that time you will have had time to
        take the issue to whoever at the new insurance has five firing brain cells that
        work at the same time, and resolve your issues with them. They cannot, by
        law, interrupt your treatment, but they can carry on a 6 month battle trying to
        do just that. They may pay without quibbling, ya never know. If it sounds
        like I've been there and done that, it's because I have. In the middle of
        mine, the gov't. decided to not renew their contract with Humana and award it to
        Health Net Fed, which is/was one of their worst mistakes of late. Health Net
        Fed has somehow decided that Champus doesn't exist and therefore we have no
        primary insurance. This too shall be resolved. In the meantime, I continue
        on as before, MCV screams at them, I scream at them; I write my congressmen;
        MCV screams some more; I scream some more; and eventually, they get paid.
        Took almost a year, but it got done. So do not discontinue your treatment.
        Now, I get to fight to get the docs paid. One battle at a time. I started
        with the highest bill and am now down to the lesser ones. The ones they think
        I'll pay, if they keep refusing. I pay my co-pay, period the end. Your docs,
        etc. are used to dealing with snarly insurance companies, they'll
        understand.

        Hang in there,

      • Shshonee (Alley)
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
          I actually traded doses with a lady in my area. I got 3 mo at a time in the mail and she changed insurance in the middle was was gonna miss a few weeks of shots in the middle of her treatment so I fronted her some and she returned it when she got hers. Work thru your doctor and your local hep support groups. Things can be worked around if it's just a couple.

          No, it's not legal and I am not advocating doing that haha