Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] question about meds

  • Shshonee (Alley)
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2005
      Tammie, ideally you want to take the entire treatment, but missing the last 2 or so probably isn't a biggy. Talk to your doc about it. And do what Claudine says.

      Good luck!

    • tammster62
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2005
        My husband changed jobs and we are getting set up with Cobra insurance
        for the in-between time. They say it will take 30-60 days to get things
        set up and then it will be retro active to the time our old insurance
        stopped, but I can't wait that long to get money back. I will
        definitely call and see what I can do before I give up, but I don't
        know how far I am going to get with these people. They really have this
        thing set up so that you will mess your payments up and they can drop
        you. It is a very tricky deal right now. I am afraid if my insurance
        ever drops, I won't get any coverage again. The company that I have to
        deal with to get the meds is always getting things messed up. At least
        half of the time I have dealt with them, there has been a problem that
        I have had to call about to get cleared up. It is a mess and now that I
        have changed over to the Cobra, I figure it will be a thousand times
        worse. BUT, I will see if there is anything that I can do before I give
        up. Thanks for the input.
        <><Tammie><>

        --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, claudine intexas
        <claudineintexas@y...> wrote:

        > I think you really need to take ALL your meds. Who changed your
        insurance? Is this a group policy from an employer? Is there a person
        in charge of the insurance/human resources that you can go and talk to?
        They may be able to find a way to get your meds for you. There is
        usually some type of provision for people with ongoing medical
        treatments when a company changes insurance companies. Don't let them
        brush you off. I can't say for sure, but this may be covered under
        HIPAA requirements.
      • wim landstra
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
          HI.I don.t think missing the last three shots will make much
          difference.However it would be better for yr own mind if y finish the
          treatment.You could phone(or better write with a note from yr Docter) the
          drug-company and explain the situation.I.am pritty sure they will supply you
          with the last three shots free of charge.The good news is that y will get a
          SVR because it has been a long time since somebody on the group sustained
          one.Simply a matter of statistics.You lucky girl.Willem.
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
            You might ask your nurse if s/he has any extra medicine on hand. After the
            first 3 shots i took , my WBC had continued to drop so the doc said cut it
            to 3/4 dose. I hadn't brought my pegasys with me, and the nurse wanted to be
            sure I understood how to adjust the dose, so she pulled out a coupleof pre
            loaded syringes and gave them to me. They were almost out of date anyway. I
            figure when I am finished, I will give her any extra I have left over.

            A possibility.
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
              In a message dated 4/11/2005 5:35:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              claudineintexas@... writes:

              I think you really need to take ALL your meds. Who changed your insurance?
              Is this a group policy from an employer? Is there a person in charge of the
              insurance/human resources that you can go and talk to? They may be able to
              find a way to get your meds for you. There is usually some type of provision for
              people with ongoing medical treatments when a company changes insurance
              companies. Don't let them brush you off. I can't say for sure, but this may be
              covered under HIPAA requirements.

              Dear Tammie,

              I think that you should take all your meds, too. Especially in light of the
              fact that they are working.

              Even with the insurance change, the doc and or pharmacy still has to bill
              the insurance company, which takes awhile, then you get to stall, and they
              rebill, then you get to stall, again. By that time you will have had time to
              take the issue to whoever at the new insurance has five firing brain cells that
              work at the same time, and resolve your issues with them. They cannot, by
              law, interrupt your treatment, but they can carry on a 6 month battle trying to
              do just that. They may pay without quibbling, ya never know. If it sounds
              like I've been there and done that, it's because I have. In the middle of
              mine, the gov't. decided to not renew their contract with Humana and award it to
              Health Net Fed, which is/was one of their worst mistakes of late. Health Net
              Fed has somehow decided that Champus doesn't exist and therefore we have no
              primary insurance. This too shall be resolved. In the meantime, I continue
              on as before, MCV screams at them, I scream at them; I write my congressmen;
              MCV screams some more; I scream some more; and eventually, they get paid.
              Took almost a year, but it got done. So do not discontinue your treatment.
              Now, I get to fight to get the docs paid. One battle at a time. I started
              with the highest bill and am now down to the lesser ones. The ones they think
              I'll pay, if they keep refusing. I pay my co-pay, period the end. Your docs,
              etc. are used to dealing with snarly insurance companies, they'll
              understand.

              Hang in there,

            • Shshonee (Alley)
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
                I actually traded doses with a lady in my area. I got 3 mo at a time in the mail and she changed insurance in the middle was was gonna miss a few weeks of shots in the middle of her treatment so I fronted her some and she returned it when she got hers. Work thru your doctor and your local hep support groups. Things can be worked around if it's just a couple.

                No, it's not legal and I am not advocating doing that haha