question about meds

  • tammster62
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11 1:57 PM
      My insurance has just changed and I feel sure that I am going to have
      some problems getting my last batch of meds. I have enough to take my
      45th shot out of 48 treatments, but there is NO way I will be able to
      put out that much cash until the insurance can repay me (I also take
      Neupogen and Epogen shots too...about $6000 total). What I am wondering
      is how bad it will be if I don't get my last 3 shots? Will I be
      competely messing things up if I miss them?
      <><Tammie><>
      ps. I really need some good news :)
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11 2:32 PM
        Tammie,

        I think you really need to take ALL your meds. Who changed your insurance? Is this a group policy from an employer? Is there a person in charge of the insurance/human resources that you can go and talk to? They may be able to find a way to get your meds for you. There is usually some type of provision for people with ongoing medical treatments when a company changes insurance companies. Don't let them brush you off. I can't say for sure, but this may be covered under HIPAA requirements.

        Good luck,
        Claudine

        >>>tammster62 <t1d1r1d1@...> wrote:
        My insurance has just changed and I feel sure that I am going to have
        some problems getting my last batch of meds. I have enough to take my
        45th shot out of 48 treatments,...

      • Shshonee (Alley)
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11 3:34 PM
          Tammie, ideally you want to take the entire treatment, but missing the last 2 or so probably isn't a biggy. Talk to your doc about it. And do what Claudine says.

          Good luck!

        • tammster62
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11 7:52 PM
            My husband changed jobs and we are getting set up with Cobra insurance
            for the in-between time. They say it will take 30-60 days to get things
            set up and then it will be retro active to the time our old insurance
            stopped, but I can't wait that long to get money back. I will
            definitely call and see what I can do before I give up, but I don't
            know how far I am going to get with these people. They really have this
            thing set up so that you will mess your payments up and they can drop
            you. It is a very tricky deal right now. I am afraid if my insurance
            ever drops, I won't get any coverage again. The company that I have to
            deal with to get the meds is always getting things messed up. At least
            half of the time I have dealt with them, there has been a problem that
            I have had to call about to get cleared up. It is a mess and now that I
            have changed over to the Cobra, I figure it will be a thousand times
            worse. BUT, I will see if there is anything that I can do before I give
            up. Thanks for the input.
            <><Tammie><>

            --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, claudine intexas
            <claudineintexas@y...> wrote:

            > I think you really need to take ALL your meds. Who changed your
            insurance? Is this a group policy from an employer? Is there a person
            in charge of the insurance/human resources that you can go and talk to?
            They may be able to find a way to get your meds for you. There is
            usually some type of provision for people with ongoing medical
            treatments when a company changes insurance companies. Don't let them
            brush you off. I can't say for sure, but this may be covered under
            HIPAA requirements.
          • wim landstra
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12 2:23 AM
              HI.I don.t think missing the last three shots will make much
              difference.However it would be better for yr own mind if y finish the
              treatment.You could phone(or better write with a note from yr Docter) the
              drug-company and explain the situation.I.am pritty sure they will supply you
              with the last three shots free of charge.The good news is that y will get a
              SVR because it has been a long time since somebody on the group sustained
              one.Simply a matter of statistics.You lucky girl.Willem.
              > My insurance has just changed and I feel sure that I am going to have
              > some problems getting my last batch of meds. I have enough to take my
              > 45th shot out of 48 treatments, but there is NO way I will be able to
              > put out that much cash until the insurance can repay me (I also take
              > Neupogen and Epogen shots too...about $6000 total). What I am wondering
              > is how bad it will be if I don't get my last 3 shots? Will I be
              > competely messing things up if I miss them?
              > <><Tammie><>
              > ps. I really need some good news :)

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mark Middle Mountain
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12 6:21 AM
                You might ask your nurse if s/he has any extra medicine on hand. After the
                first 3 shots i took , my WBC had continued to drop so the doc said cut it
                to 3/4 dose. I hadn't brought my pegasys with me, and the nurse wanted to be
                sure I understood how to adjust the dose, so she pulled out a coupleof pre
                loaded syringes and gave them to me. They were almost out of date anyway. I
                figure when I am finished, I will give her any extra I have left over.

                A possibility.
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12 8:20 AM
                  In a message dated 4/11/2005 5:35:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  claudineintexas@... writes:

                  I think you really need to take ALL your meds. Who changed your insurance?
                  Is this a group policy from an employer? Is there a person in charge of the
                  insurance/human resources that you can go and talk to? They may be able to
                  find a way to get your meds for you. There is usually some type of provision for
                  people with ongoing medical treatments when a company changes insurance
                  companies. Don't let them brush you off. I can't say for sure, but this may be
                  covered under HIPAA requirements.

                  Dear Tammie,

                  I think that you should take all your meds, too. Especially in light of the
                  fact that they are working.

                  Even with the insurance change, the doc and or pharmacy still has to bill
                  the insurance company, which takes awhile, then you get to stall, and they
                  rebill, then you get to stall, again. By that time you will have had time to
                  take the issue to whoever at the new insurance has five firing brain cells that
                  work at the same time, and resolve your issues with them. They cannot, by
                  law, interrupt your treatment, but they can carry on a 6 month battle trying to
                  do just that. They may pay without quibbling, ya never know. If it sounds
                  like I've been there and done that, it's because I have. In the middle of
                  mine, the gov't. decided to not renew their contract with Humana and award it to
                  Health Net Fed, which is/was one of their worst mistakes of late. Health Net
                  Fed has somehow decided that Champus doesn't exist and therefore we have no
                  primary insurance. This too shall be resolved. In the meantime, I continue
                  on as before, MCV screams at them, I scream at them; I write my congressmen;
                  MCV screams some more; I scream some more; and eventually, they get paid.
                  Took almost a year, but it got done. So do not discontinue your treatment.
                  Now, I get to fight to get the docs paid. One battle at a time. I started
                  with the highest bill and am now down to the lesser ones. The ones they think
                  I'll pay, if they keep refusing. I pay my co-pay, period the end. Your docs,
                  etc. are used to dealing with snarly insurance companies, they'll
                  understand.

                  Hang in there,

                • Shshonee (Alley)
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 12 7:53 PM
                    I actually traded doses with a lady in my area. I got 3 mo at a time in the mail and she changed insurance in the middle was was gonna miss a few weeks of shots in the middle of her treatment so I fronted her some and she returned it when she got hers. Work thru your doctor and your local hep support groups. Things can be worked around if it's just a couple.

                    No, it's not legal and I am not advocating doing that haha