started treatment today

  • Mark Middle Mountain
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 24, 2005
      Went in and had the nurse show me how to do the shots and had the first one
      today. Took a bunch of blood tests, including HCV RNA Quantitative, which
      will be redone in 10 weeks and if not having a 2 log reduction will cease
      the treatment.

      Got the results of the liver biopsy they did in Jan, shows I have
      compensated cirrhosis.

      Took a long time to get started, a lot of it dancing with the bureaucrats to
      get the coverage, the Pegassist and all that. Been almost a year since I
      decide to take the treatment. Then the high alpha fetoprotein thing which
      lead to a gastroscopy, an ultrasound, first one MRI which showed no cancer
      but then a 3 month wait and another one which still showed nothing, then the
      biopsy.

      I was so stressed i only slept about 2 hours last night, which is worse than
      my usual sleep struggle but by now I know the nurse and doctor pretty well
      so we were joking around a lot at today's(morning) appointment so that was
      almost like a relief after all the anticipation. It's been about 7 hours and
      no side effects yet, at least nothing I would have noticed except for being
      hyper alert to any little thing. Stuff which on a normal day I would
      routinuely ignore.

      Of course, I haven't taken the Copegesus yet, but will wait another few
      hours until supper to take that. Maybe that will make it worse, maybe it
      will be worse tomorrow, but so far, 1/1,152nd of a potential 48 weeks has
      past and no problem.

      They did warn me that some people don't get their sides until after a few
      shots so I am expecting some character building (or destroying) suffering
      yet.

      Really, I am mostly feeling a sense of relief that a.)it has started after
      all these years and b.)I am not thrashing around on the floor humilitaing my
      self with wimp like behavior :-)
    • Shshonee (Alley)
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 24, 2005
        hey Mark!

        Congratulations on getting started with treatment. I don't advocate it for everone but that old cirrhosis kinda calls for it. I'm sorry you have to do it though.

        You know I was so nervous my first shot. I did it on a Friday nite so I could have my husband home on the weekend to take care of me. I laid down to watch a hockey game after the shot, fell asleep, forgot I did the shot the next morning.

        I didn't have any symptoms until about my 6th month. Fatigue set in then, later some migraines.

        Everyone reacts differently. Be sure you have plenty of backup meds you might need for any sides, like pain pills, muscle relaxers, sleeping pills, or whatever. Don't be afraid to ask for them. Are you on a good antidepressant?

        Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

        Alley
        Grand Prairie, Tx
        www.alleypat.com

      • tammster62
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 24, 2005
          This brought back my first shot to me LOL. I was scared to death and
          nothing came of it LOL.
          I did start noticing that it did effect me quite a lot and the first
          5 months for me were rather hard. NOT unbearable, but not comfortable
          either. I am on the 48 week treatment and only have 11 weeks left. I
          must say that most of the time I feel better than I have felt in
          years!!!!!!! This was a wonderful decision for me. I hope that the
          same goes for you too.
          I take 5 shots a week which was depressing at first, but it works so
          wonderfully that I don't mind anymore. One is the Pegasys and the
          others are for red and white blood counts. So if they put you on
          extra stuff, take it knowing that it will help in the long run.
          Just hang in there one week at a time. Maybe you will be one of the
          lucky ones and will breeze through this :)
          Good luck.
          <><TammieD><>

          --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Middle Mountain"
          <gourdmad@o...> wrote:

          > I was so stressed i only slept about 2 hours last night, which is
          worse than
          > my usual sleep struggle but by now I know the nurse and doctor
          pretty well
          > so we were joking around a lot at today's(morning) appointment so
          that was
          > almost like a relief after all the anticipation. It's been about 7
          hours and
          > no side effects yet, at least nothing I would have noticed except
          for being
          > hyper alert to any little thing. Stuff which on a normal day I would
          > routinuely ignore.
          >
          > Of course, I haven't taken the Copegesus yet, but will wait another
          few
          > hours until supper to take that. Maybe that will make it worse,
          maybe it
          > will be worse tomorrow, but so far, 1/1,152nd of a potential 48
          weeks has
          > past and no problem.
          >
          > They did warn me that some people don't get their sides until after
          a few
          > shots so I am expecting some character building (or destroying)
          suffering
          > yet.
          >
          > Really, I am mostly feeling a sense of relief that a.)it has
          started after
          > all these years and b.)I am not thrashing around on the floor
          humilitaing my
          > self with wimp like behavior :-)
        • gofriend8
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 25, 2005
            > Are you on a good antidepressant?

            Not really. Try to take freshly ground flaxseed regularly and always
            feel better when I do. Will try be more consistent with it now.

            right after I wrote my previous email, I went out like a light and
            slept for a couple of hours. Of course, my competitive nature messed
            me up a bit. My original plan had been since I took the shot just
            before noon, that I was only going to have some fruit in the evening.
            But when I was still feeling good, (even better than normal perhaps
            buoyed by the relief of startign and als o that the shot was so easy
            I knew I wasn't ging to be too uch of a wimp to do it to myself, that
            26 gauge needle is like nothing after the elephant bore ones they use
            for blood samples), I only took one instead of the two ibuprofins
            they recommended and ate a full supper with potatoes and tempeh in a
            vegetarian gravy and stuffed myself. Sort of thumbing my nose at the
            meds, saying "bring it".

            Woke up two hours later because my heart was racing and had the
            chills. My wife took temperature and pulse, and it was 99+ degrees
            and a booming 88 beats per minute, over my usual 72 or lower resting
            rate. That lasted a couple of hours and then mostly abated. I was
            drinking a lot of water.

            The whole take the shot and go to bed thing seems very nice, makes
            sense after what I went thru last night, but for the next two weeks I
            have to do it at the doc's office with the nurse. Next week I will do
            the whole dose of ibu and do the light evening meal thing, see if
            that helps.

            There was some aches and pains but if I hadn't been watching for
            them, would have been the kind of stuff I would routinuely ignore if
            I was busy.

            Feel better this morning so not taking any ibu, will see how that
            goes. I assume it will get worse before it gets better, but so far it
            is relatively no big deal.
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2005
              In a message dated 2/24/2005 5:37:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              gourdmad@... writes:

              Went in and had the nurse show me how to do the shots and had the first one
              today. Took a bunch of blood tests, including HCV RNA Quantitative, which
              will be redone in 10 weeks and if not having a 2 log reduction will cease
              the treatment.

              My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Congrats on getting through the
              bureaucracy. Feel free to vent without notice. We all do.
              Slay those DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            • micky
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2005
                Wish you all the luck in the world!! when and if you get side
                effects, I think you must so prepared that they won't be bad ( after
                all the information we gather from other hpeers, whillst waiting for
                our turn!!)

                But don't keep waiting for things to hapen, just go out and live
                your life as much as you can.

                Wishing you strength, faith and good results!
                Micky in Brazil
              • wim landtra
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2005
                  HI.Side-effects with the Peg or Roche pegasys varies from individual to
                  individual but it.s much less then the old combo.Go for it and ignore the
                  side-effects,it.s part of the game and as a football player you know you
                  cannot change the rules .This game will be tafter then ordinary but you.re
                  going to win,homerun all the way.Willem.
                  > Wish you all the luck in the world!! when and if you get side
                  > effects, I think you must so prepared that they won't be bad ( after
                  > all the information we gather from other hpeers, whillst waiting for
                  > our turn!!)
                  >
                  > But don't keep waiting for things to hapen, just go out and live
                  > your life as much as you can.
                  >
                  > Wishing you strength, faith and good results!
                  > Micky in Brazil

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Mark Middle Mountain
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 28, 2005
                    TX guys. It really hasn't been too bad so far, maybe it will get worse but
                    until then....

                    I did do a clean out before startign, I don't know if that made a
                    difference. Ate only fruit and fruit juices for 4 days, then 2 days water
                    with 1 tablespoon fresh lemone juice, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 1/4
                    teaspoon gound cayenne in a each glass. Then 2 more days furit and juices
                    and 2 days slowly returning to regular diet. I felt better after doing that
                    and my theory is that by cleaning out the sides would be easier. Maybe it is
                    just psychological.

                    I'll have to see but not intimidated yet :-) Of course, with cirhossis, my
                    normal life is pretty low key already so no great cultural shock to go thru.
                    Will see how I feel in May when the summer soccer season starts, that will
                    be the real barometer. I am emotionally coaching myself I may not be able to
                    play so if I can't I won't be too disappointed, and if I can, yeeha !
                  • Shshonee (Alley)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1 6:34 AM
                      When I was on the high dose interferon for the skin cancer, I got some hellacious shakes and chills. I took Ativan to calm that and sleep.

                      Why do you have to take the shots in the doctor's office? I'm curious. Not that it's a bad thing. I never took any of the treatment shots in my doc's office. Even the cancer interferon, except for the IV treatments.

                      Sounds like you're doing great! Good luck.

                      Alley
                      www.alleypat.com
                      www.geocities.com/dfwhcv

                    • Mark Middle Mountain
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1 8:00 AM
                        > Why do you have to take the shots in the doctor's office?

                        Just the first three. The first week they take baseline blood tests and the
                        nurse showed me how to take the shot. She does it a little different than in
                        the Pegasys video. This next week I have to do it myself, and show her I
                        learned, plus more blood tests. The third week also have to go in and get
                        more tests, by then maybe I won't have to take the shot in office. I was
                        sent the pharmceuticals directly, so have to bring them in.

                        The doc wants both me and my wife in for the first 3 weeks, then every other
                        week if things seem to be going right, for the first two months. Part of it
                        is to get feedback from my wife on my emotional state, or as he put it "I
                        need to know if he is sitting out in the garage with his gun." (he may not
                        use that exact wording with every patient:-) I assured him that I have no
                        intention of suicide, but if I ever get really depressed, pity the fool who
                        tries to mug me, because I either get to keep my money or it will be death
                        by mugger. (only half kidding).

                        Once I get past the first shots, they will all be at home.
                      • wim landtra
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 1 8:01 AM
                          HI.Mark is a footballplayer,they.re raft,taft people and mabye the Doc.
                          thought that he would simply jab the needle in and do some damage to the
                          underlying tissues or veins.Or mabye the Doc. has a nice nurse- assistant
                          and Mark thought.......Liefs Willem.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 1 8:54 AM
                            In a message dated 3/1/2005 11:07:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            gourdmad@... writes:

                            "I
                            need to know if he is sitting out in the garage with his gun." (he may not
                            use that exact wording with every patient:-) I assured him that I have no

                            I like your doctor..........that's pretty close to what Nemec said to me.
                            "I'm writing you a script for Paxel. It takes awhile for antidepressants to
                            kick in and knowing you, you probably own a gun." At that point in history,
                            it the gun in question was a shotgun and I assured him that I wouldn't NOT
                            leave that kind of mess for David to clean up. We both got a chuckle out of it.
                            I didn't take the Paxel and wasn't depressed other than the normal...."I
                            feel like death warmed over-depressed." The mugger did win, but I didn't have
                            my shotgun with me, either.
                            :-)))))))))))) Anne

                          • tammster62
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 1 12:20 PM
                              <gourdmad@o...> wrote:

                              > The doc wants both me and my wife in for the first 3 weeks, then
                              every other
                              > week if things seem to be going right, for the first two months.

                              WOW!!! The nurse gave me the sample box and sent me home to watch the
                              video. I have never seen the doc since and I only have 10 weeks left.
                              I have a blood test when I feel that something isn't right, but other
                              than that, there is no contact. BUT, I have had no real problems
                              either.
                              <><Tammie><>
                            • Shshonee (Alley)
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 1 7:43 PM
                                Well word of warning, not all antidepressants are the same. All serontonin anti d's make me depressed. Go figure. And I didn't know it till my GI prescribed them. so be aware and you'll be fine :)

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 2 7:28 PM
                                  In a message dated 3/1/2005 3:34:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  t1d1r1d1@... writes:

                                  WOW!!! The nurse gave me the sample box and sent me home to watch the
                                  video. I have never seen the doc since and I only have 10 weeks left.
                                  I have a blood test when I feel that something isn't right, but other
                                  than that, there is no contact. BUT, I have had no real problems
                                  either.

                                  Tammie,
                                  You should be having labs done at least every two weeks........Gee it's a
                                  good thing your not anemic, etc.
                                  Thank God you've weathered this okay.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 2 7:35 PM
                                    In a message dated 3/1/2005 11:12:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                    shshonee@... writes:

                                    Well word of warning, not all antidepressants are the same. All serontonin
                                    anti d's make me depressed. Go figure. And I didn't know it till my GI
                                    prescribed them. so be aware and you'll be fine :)

                                    Isn't it wonderful when the "cure" makes you worse off than no cure at
                                    all...............

                                  • tammster62
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 3 5:31 PM
                                      I did do the blood tests regular at the beginning of all of this, but
                                      never saw the doc. I have been on Epogen almost the whole time for
                                      anemia, and I have been off and on Neupogen for low white count. I
                                      have had absolutely no problem with depression and only slight
                                      nausea. I have lost a lot of my hair (no bald spots, but very thin)
                                      and I have lost about 35 pounds (huge grin).
                                      Yes, God has blessed me through this.
                                      <><TammieD><>

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 4 1:07 PM
                                        In a message dated 3/3/2005 8:38:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                        t1d1r1d1@... writes:

                                        Yes, God has blessed me through this.

                                        As he has us all. Anne