Question on upcoming stomach surgery

  • Arkhepcgal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2005
      Hi Doc,

      I had a gastric resection with Bill Roth 1 in 1984, and have had several side
      effects since then.

      Last summer, I was diagnosed with H-pylori infection with ulcers. Contents
      of the stomach could not empty because of the swelling and I lost over 25
      pounds in a period of about 3 months. Active treatment for the infection lasted
      quite a while.

      Last fall, I had another test, geez, can't remember the name, down the throat
      and esophagus to look into the stomach. It showed the opening going from the
      stomach into the intestine.

      Since I had been having problems for years, the gastric doc consulted with
      the surgeon who then met with other surgeons and decided that a type of
      resection needed to get done. I can't pronounce or remember the name of that surgery
      except that it had the word "loop" in it. It would involve making a new
      opening about half way up my stomach and connecting the intestine at that point.
      My understanding is that a gastric bypass would be too serious for my current
      state of heath, but would ideally the best surgery.

      I also had a incisional hernia repaired in Februay of 2003 that has come
      loose, I can feel a staple, and that would get fixed at that time.

      I did not think to ask the doc what would happen to the bottom part of my
      stomach, so I'm hoping you may have an idea what would happen and what the name
      of the surgery might be>

      Thank you,
      Betty in Arkansas