Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Coffee--more feedback please

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2004
      In a message dated 11/7/2004 12:15:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      tatezi@... writes:

      I've not read anything on coffee lowering enzymes except in that one article
      that was posted. Rule of thumb if you are going to live 100% liver safe, you
      avoid caffeine, sugar, meat, etc. However, I believe that if everything we do
      to help our livers decreases the quality of our lives, than to me, it's not
      worth it.

      And never forget that as long as it's in moderation, it can't do all that
      much harm. It excesses that cause the harm.

      As I sit here drinking my third Sunday cup of coffee, I agree. My comment
      would be watch PHillip's blood pressure. It apparantly has no effect on either
      mine or David's, but caffeine does tend to bother some people. I have read
      several articles on how much caffeine, or coffee is good for asthmatics. I
      guess it acts like a mild antihistomine.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
        In a message dated 11/5/2004 1:28:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        goddesspv@... writes:

        I posted a while back after the article on caffeine and coffee lowering
        liver enzymes and asked for feedback re. is there other research etc. about
        whether or not to drink coffee. I only got 2 responses and was hoping to
        get more feedback so we can make a decision. I got my husband, Philip (who
        has Hep C and early stage chirhosis) to stop drinking coffee because I
        thought it would stress his liver. He loves coffee and would love to drink
        1 cup every morning (is willing to buy organic) but doesn't want to stress
        his liver. Please share any info. that would help us in making this
        decision. Thanks,

        One thought I will add to the caffeine debate. When I was on treatment the
        oil in the coffee upset my stomach to the point that I quit drinking it. I can
        drink it now as long as I don't drink a lot of it and I have some sort of
        breakfast on my stomach first. Bear in mind, that prior to, my first act upon
        getting out of bed was to plug the pot in.

      • Shshonee (Alley)
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
          Maybe that's what it is about coffee that bothers me too. I can't drink much of it, tho sometimes I really like it, especially when it's reeeally cold out, but I don't care for American coffee at all (which probably means Columbian, though I've not had the good stuff, the stuff they only sell in Columbia and won't ship to the U.S.). I love Douwe Egberts, from The Netherlands, and Senseo, which is a DE product. www.senseo.com I like the Senseo machine because it makes one or two cups, small cups, 4 ounces, and that's enough for me. In the mornings, hubby drinks a pot, which means 6 cups worth. Now, tea on the other hand, is my drug of choice. Vitamin T lol. with or without sugar. Tho I prefer it with, that's how we do it in the South, I drink it without most of the time cuz I have enough weight has it is and don't need any help in that dept. lol. The hep symptoms keep me too sedentary as does my occupation.

          Let us know what his doc says.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
            In a message dated 11/8/2004 2:18:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            shshonee@... writes:

            Maybe that's what it is about coffee that bothers me too. I can't drink much
            of it, tho sometimes I really like it, especially when it's reeeally cold
            out, but I don't care for American coffee at all (which probably means Columbian,
            though I've not had the good stuff, the stuff they only sell in Columbia and
            won't ship to the U.S.).

            As an alternative to the coffee, if that bothers the stomach, I have a fairly
            decent recipe for "Russian" (which probably originated in South America) tea,
            if anybody is interested. It's not an easy task, but it makes a lot and
            keeps well.

          • Shshonee (Alley)
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
              Anne that sounds interesting. I'd love to know more about Russian tea.