Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] question

    Message 1 of 110 , Oct 4, 2004
      There are many medications that can kill if injected into a vein. A few medications can be directly injected into a vein, but most, when used in that manner, are diluted with some solution, like saline or ringers lactate, before going into the vein. However, this should NOT be a problem with the subcutaneous injections of interferon. The needles used are too small to reach a vein in the approved injection areas. If you remember, the interferon 'pens' didn't even have a plunger to draw back - it was just stick and click. I think the teaching of the correct way to inject is good, but more of a 'cover-your-ass' type of thing. They couldn't hardly say "never mind pulling back the plunger - it doesn't matter." If they did say that and someone ever gave themselves an injection of something where it did matter, and it went into a vein, they could expect a lawsuit.

      Tatezi <tatezi@...> wrote:
      Anne...I've not ever heard this before...where did you learn it? Interferon and Ribavarinn are both used in chemo and is injected directly into the vein.

      Tatezi

      It very well could kill you. The purpose for drawing the plunger back is to
      be sure that blood doesn't come into the syringe, because that would signify
      that you had stuck yourself in a vein rather than subcutaneously.

    • Shshonee
      Message 110 of 110 , Oct 7, 2004
        The longer you do treatment the more tired you get, that's pretty normal. The meds build up in your system over time and your body gets plum tuckered out.

        My hair thinned a lot on treatment, but it came back. I just whacked it all off. Was almost to my waist and I was too tired to mess with it on treatment so I cut it off to an inch or two all around and died it red and spiked it up punk (I was dark blonde lol). Talk about going wild! (for me that is wild, my husband nearly freaked). But it was fun :). I knew I couldn't maintain that long mess and had to cut it, why not have fun with it? Now I'm growing it out. It's down to my shoulders, about where I'll keep it now. I'm too lazy to mess with hair much anymore.

        I ordered groceries online (albertsons.com in my area delivers for $10.00 and it was worth the price cuz I was pooped), got a maid every other month to clean the toilets, and made sure the groceries were nukable and made the family cook for themselves while I hogged the remote and propped my feet up.

        Don't hesitate to take advantage of this time of your life. Look on the good side! You be sick. Make THEM work!! Their (the family) is good for something, we hope anyway. And if they don't, shame their lazy butts into it. lol I babysat my daughter's two preschoolers on treatment and they kept me busy and focused on other things so I really didn't get to lie around much, but they were good kids and daughter kept house for me on her day off. If hubby didn't do laundry, hubby had no clean clothes. If hubby didn't do dishes, hubby had no clean dishes. It's as simple as that. :)

        Nothing wrong with accepting you don't feel good, cuz you DON"T. And don't let nobody tell you no different. Most people don't feel peachy keen on treatment. Family don't like it, tell family to do treatment lol. Remind them that if it were cancer, they wouldn't be ignoring the situation. Tell them to substitute "cancer" for "hep C" and "chemo" for "treatment" and there ya go. They'd be all 'oh honey what can I do to help you, you poor thang'. Wouldn't they?

        My advice, use it. :) Take advantage of it best ya can.

        Don't feel guilty.

        It doesn't last forever.

        Relax.

        Take a deep breath.

        Get a big stick.

        Hit anybody who gives you a hard time up side the head and tell God they died (an old saying in my family, don't really do it, I'd be liable :).