50% of patients

  • Paul Sita
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2004
      I was in a small group, only 15. 7 quit, because of side effects of the drug. 3 were put out because they failed to respond enough. They were responding, but not undetectable. Five finished including myself. I was undetectable at 3 months post treatment, and viral load was higher than ever at 6 months post treatment. At three months there were three of us who were undetectable, and six months one. To me, that is not anywhere near 50% response rate, no matter how you look at it. The numbers can be deceiving, and don't really mean anything. The only thing that does matter is if you can beat the dragon or not. I think the responders are few, and the things they are left to live with not pleasant. I hope that those of you on treatment have better luck than I. Unfortunately it is the only thing we have to try to beat it, and I felt I had to do it, but I am not doing it again. It literally almost killed me. My prayers for all. Terry

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2004
        In a message dated 9/10/2004 10:32:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        psita@... writes:
        Unfortunately it is the only thing we have to try to beat it, and I felt I
        had to do it, but I am not doing it again. It literally almost killed me. My
        prayers for all. Terry
        Dear Terry,

        Thank you. Somewhere I lost a thread. Was your treatment a-Interferon or
        peg? I developed hemalytic anemia, which is why I got pulled off
        treatment......actually I took myself off treatment 3 days before the doc called and said
        DON'T. Sometimes your body and your brain work faster than the lab results get
        to the doc. I'm hoping that with the addition of Procrit, I'll get through
        this with something that looks like a low, but not deadly platelet count. Mine
        is only 191 now. Prior to treatment it was over 390 or better.

        Take care,