i'm not pregnant

  • Mark Middle Mountain
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2004
      While going thru screening prior to commencing treatment, besides my liver
      enzymes being 4 times normal, my alpha fetaprotein was high. When I met with
      the doctor, he very seriously informed me that that is a marker for liver
      cancer. reading the lab report upside, I noticed that it said "..or
      pregnant." so i said, "No, I thnk it means I'm pregnant", which,
      considering my obvious maleness, I had some difficulty getting him to
      accept. so he ordered an ultrasound, which I immediately pointed out to him
      would be what you would do for someone who was pregnant. He still wouldn't
      accept my interpretation.

      Anyway, turns out the ultrasound showed nothing, and a later MRI also showed
      no tumors, so liver cancer has been ruled out, tho I haven't had an
      appointment with the doctor yet, I just went directly to the hospital and
      signed out the results for myself, since I didn't feel like waiting for the
      next appointment.

      I am a bit disappointed I was pregnant, since being the first male to bear a
      child would have been perhaps my best shot at getting on Oprah.

      Turns out after a bit of research that while high alpha protein is a good
      marker for liver cancer in normal livers, and even in HCV cirrhotic livers,
      for someone with active chronic noncirrhotic HCV, it is only 70% accurate.
      Lucky me.

      Anyway, unfortunately for you all, when I need to vent you may be the
      sounding board, and sometimes that takes the form of bad poetry so brace
      yourself. The following isn't meant to be literal, but was inspired by my
      past few weeks(and i know, I know, the logical critique is that itis prose
      with line breaks):

      Maybe Death

      Maybe death is like driving on a two lane highway
      and coming to a roadblock with blinding flashing lights
      but your accelerator sticks and the brakes go soft
      so you have to throw it into a sideways slide to stop.

      The kind of stop you practiced on snowy streets
      in a small town with a slow snow removal budget
      so the streets were slick and there was nothing else to do,
      nowhere to go with your freshly printed driver's license.

      A uniformed man with blank insignia and sunglasses
      seems to suppress sneering more than anger
      as he asks for your now plastic license and registration
      then walks away without an explanation.

      You try to explain about the brakes and, over his shoulder,
      he says pop the hood and stay in the car so you do,
      until you smell gasoline and get out anyway,
      seeing a blue working clothesed man with frightened eyes

      sucking out the last of your gas with a vacuum pump
      thru your fuel line where the filter is disconnected
      and you know you are powerless to move, tank empty,
      and the twilight is already noticeable darker.

      Maybe death isn't what you thought it would be,
      not in full stride or stroke amid blurred action
      and lots of noise and suddenness and confusion,
      then brief harsh pain and collapse in laced boots.

      Instead, maybe death is a few visits to a doctor
      where blood work is ordered, more each time,
      then ultrasound, CAT scan, MRI, biopsy and in a flash
      a tenth of your yearly income vanishes to pay for them.

      Knowing that the big stack of really cool T shirts
      that's been growing on your closet shelf for decades,
      saved for special days and occasions, is what
      you'll be wearing every day now.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2004
        In a message dated 9/7/2004 12:29:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        gourdmad@... writes:
        the doctor, he very seriously informed me that that is a marker for liver
        cancer. reading the lab report upside, I noticed that it said "..or
        pregnant." so i said, "No, I thnk it means I'm pregnant", which,
        considering my obvious maleness, I had some difficulty getting him to
        accept. so he ordered an ultrasound, which I immediately pointed out to him
        would be what you would do for someone who was pregnant. He still wouldn't
        accept my interpretation.
        You will laugh, when I tell you that one of the residents asked me if I was
        pregnant (in defense-that was without knowing that I had HCV). I am however,
        female. "Well, since I haven't had a period since I started taking Ribavirin, I
        would say probably not, but then I'm not a doctor, so what do I know?"
        Wouldn't have gotten me on Oprah, but it certainly would have flipped me out, not
        to mention my husband. Some of these doctors have no sense of humor. I didn't
        even get a smile.
        We all vent. It's part of it.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2004
          I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing you aren't pregnant...you could make a lot of money being the first man to bear child. <g>

            Glad you're not preggers lol. My AFP (is that what you are talking about?) was high after tx ended too. They keep checking mine.

          • Mark Middle Mountain
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2004
              > My AFP (is that what you are talking about?) was high after tx ended too.<

              Yes, AFP = alpha fetoprotein.