Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] blood test

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
      Tammie...

      I don't remember your genotype, but it used to be that 1s (whether 'a' or 'b') didn't have an RNA (viral load) run until 6 months into treatment. That might have changed because I'm a 1b, just did treatment through the County hospital and they ran an RNA around 2 months into treatment. Now that could just have been the way County does it...I don't know. I did Pegasys with Ribavarinn and probably had there not been a significant drop in my viral load, they would have pulled me from treatment. Fortunately I was undetectable and ended up doing 49 weeks of treatment.

      The first treatment I did was Rebetron (a combo treatment before the pegs were developed) and although my viral load dropped considerably during treatment, I didn't respond.

      I'm 2 months post treatment and when I went for my one month post treatment RNA results this week, it was discovered that either the lab lost my blood or the results since they weren't in the system. So another blood pull and another month to wait for the results.

      As far as your LFTs, those could very well have dropped because you are on treatment. Even if we don't respond to treatment, the time we spend on treatment are known to help our livers. Claudine can probably explain this better...I don't pay much attention to studies and stats like I used to, I don't even remember the normal counts like I used to...I'm a bit jaded with all that stuff and just live a healthy life and don't worry about my hep c.

      And some people don't ever have elevated LFTs...I never have.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
        From: tammster62

        Anyway, the nurse told me that my liver counts are back down into the
        normal range. I took this as a good sign. Please tell me that it is
        actually a good sign LOL.
        <><TammieD><>

        Yes, that is a good sign! :)

      • tammster62
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
          --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, "Tatezi" <tatezi@s...>
          wrote:
          > Tammie...
          >
          > I don't remember your genotype,
          I am a 1b.

          >they ran an RNA around 2 months into treatment.
          They said they will not run it until the 6th month.

          > As far as your LFTs, those could very well have dropped because you
          are on treatment.
          Drat!!! I was hoping that this was a good sign.
          Oh, well, anything that helps my liver is a good sign. Thanks for the
          info.
          <><TammieD><>
        • tammster62
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
            --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, claudine intexas
            <claudineintexas@y...> wrote:
            > Yes, that is a good sign! :)
            Ya'll are such a good group. Thank you all for the encouragment.
            <><TammieD><>
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
              Treatment always helps you liver...it gives it a break and allows it some time to heal itself.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
                In a message dated 9/1/2004 8:23:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                claudineintexas@... writes:
                Anyway, the nurse told me that my liver counts are back down into the
                normal range. I took this as a good sign. Please tell me that it is
                actually a good sign LOL.
                <><TammieD><>
                Yes, that is a good sign!!!!!!!!!!! What that means is that "de drugs" are
                working and your liver is able to function without over working itself.
                Frequently, when genotype 1 a or b patients go on treatment there liver functions
                shoot through the ceiling. Nobody knows exactly why this is. I suspect that
                it's because the liver has been chugging along trying to function under protest
                and duress and suddenly gets help and goes into overdrive. Then things settle
                down and the liver goes back to something that looks closer to normal values
                as it allows the medication to do it's work. That's me speaking, not anything
                the docs say.
                Rejoice!