blood test

  • tammster62
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
      Well, my blood test came back yesterday and the white counts are
      still down a little, but not low enough to bother with (sigh). I was
      thrilled about that. I hate those shots.
      Anyway, the nurse told me that my liver counts are back down into the
      normal range. I took this as a good sign. Please tell me that it is
      actually a good sign LOL.
      <><TammieD><>
      ps. I will not have the test for viral load (am I using that phrase
      right?) for another 3 months.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
        Tammie...

        I don't remember your genotype, but it used to be that 1s (whether 'a' or 'b') didn't have an RNA (viral load) run until 6 months into treatment. That might have changed because I'm a 1b, just did treatment through the County hospital and they ran an RNA around 2 months into treatment. Now that could just have been the way County does it...I don't know. I did Pegasys with Ribavarinn and probably had there not been a significant drop in my viral load, they would have pulled me from treatment. Fortunately I was undetectable and ended up doing 49 weeks of treatment.

        The first treatment I did was Rebetron (a combo treatment before the pegs were developed) and although my viral load dropped considerably during treatment, I didn't respond.

        I'm 2 months post treatment and when I went for my one month post treatment RNA results this week, it was discovered that either the lab lost my blood or the results since they weren't in the system. So another blood pull and another month to wait for the results.

        As far as your LFTs, those could very well have dropped because you are on treatment. Even if we don't respond to treatment, the time we spend on treatment are known to help our livers. Claudine can probably explain this better...I don't pay much attention to studies and stats like I used to, I don't even remember the normal counts like I used to...I'm a bit jaded with all that stuff and just live a healthy life and don't worry about my hep c.

        And some people don't ever have elevated LFTs...I never have.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
          From: tammster62

          Anyway, the nurse told me that my liver counts are back down into the
          normal range. I took this as a good sign. Please tell me that it is
          actually a good sign LOL.
          <><TammieD><>

          Yes, that is a good sign! :)

        • tammster62
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
            --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, "Tatezi" <tatezi@s...>
            wrote:
            > Tammie...
            >
            > I don't remember your genotype,
            I am a 1b.

            >they ran an RNA around 2 months into treatment.
            They said they will not run it until the 6th month.

            > As far as your LFTs, those could very well have dropped because you
            are on treatment.
            Drat!!! I was hoping that this was a good sign.
            Oh, well, anything that helps my liver is a good sign. Thanks for the
            info.
            <><TammieD><>
          • tammster62
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
              --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, claudine intexas
              <claudineintexas@y...> wrote:
              > Yes, that is a good sign! :)
              Ya'll are such a good group. Thank you all for the encouragment.
              <><TammieD><>
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
                Treatment always helps you liver...it gives it a break and allows it some time to heal itself.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
                  In a message dated 9/1/2004 8:23:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  claudineintexas@... writes:
                  Anyway, the nurse told me that my liver counts are back down into the
                  normal range. I took this as a good sign. Please tell me that it is
                  actually a good sign LOL.
                  <><TammieD><>
                  Yes, that is a good sign!!!!!!!!!!! What that means is that "de drugs" are
                  working and your liver is able to function without over working itself.
                  Frequently, when genotype 1 a or b patients go on treatment there liver functions
                  shoot through the ceiling. Nobody knows exactly why this is. I suspect that
                  it's because the liver has been chugging along trying to function under protest
                  and duress and suddenly gets help and goes into overdrive. Then things settle
                  down and the liver goes back to something that looks closer to normal values
                  as it allows the medication to do it's work. That's me speaking, not anything
                  the docs say.
                  Rejoice!