Novel HCV medications (I know, Iknow, this idiot brain fogged)

  • Mark Middle Mountain
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2004
      Sorry, trying to send a simple email, and I don't even know why, or even if,
      multiple copies of nothing went out. this time I am doing it very slowly and
      carefully and hopefully will get it right.

      One reason I am now opting for treatment instead of waiting longer, is
      because of the problems with the novel medications in the pipeline.

      One of those problems, for instance, is not the drug per se, but how to get
      it to the target. In some cases, the delivery systems are provoking immune
      system reactions that give bad side effects or destroy the drug. Or the half
      life of the drug is so short by the time it arives it is ineffective. Just a
      couple of examples of difficulties researchers cope with. Tantalizingly
      close, but still beyond reach.

      The animals who get severe reactions (blindness, death, whatever) are
      usually getting the drugs at 2 or more times greater strengths or twice the
      length of treatment that a patient would get them, but they have to cover
      their asses because of lawsuits so they stop the trials before humans get
      them.