2 questions

  • tammster62
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2004
      I have metal mouth really bad. Could this be related to treatments?
      The other question is...is there any problem with taking a Benadryl
      tonight to help me sleep? I need sleep. I know that I should ask the
      doc, but with it being the weekend, that is out and I need to get up
      early this week. No sleeping late anymore :P
      Thanks.
      <><TammieD><>
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
        In a message dated 8/2/2004 3:16:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        t1d1r1d1@... writes:
        I have metal mouth really bad. Could this be related to treatments?
        The other question is...is there any problem with taking a Benadryl
        tonight to help me sleep? I need sleep. I know that I should ask the
        doc, but with it being the weekend, that is out and I need to get up
        early this week. No sleeping late anymore :P
        Thanks.
        Hi Tammie,
        I'm a little late answering. I had metal mouth or mouth rot as I called it.
        I used Altoids to keep from going nuts. It also activated the salavary
        glands......I had AWFUL dry mouth. I use benadryl frequently. I've never had a
        bad reaction to it.
        Hope this helps.

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
          Can't help with the Benadryl...I've never taken any Benadryl.

          But have a suggestion for metal mouth. In health food stores they sell a Xylitol gum and mints (see files section for info on xylitol). Starbucks carries a cinnamin and a peppermint gum that uses xyltol...their other gums do not. The original Dentyne gum also contains xylitol.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
            Dry mouth and that metal taste is a common side effect of treatment. Talk to your dentist about the dry mouth, it can make cavities worse, isn't good for the health of your gums and teeth, as you need the saliva to fight bacteria. Just drinking more water won't help with that.

            If you are not taking any other medications except the interferon and ribavirin, there shouldn't be a problem with benadryl. However, the problem comes when people mix meds that contain other antihistimines (OTC sleep meds, cold meds, etc), antihistimine prescription meds like Zyrtec or Allegra, or mix with meds that don't work with antihistimines.

            Best thing to do is consult your doc if you are on other medication. Usually just reading the meds fine print will tell you all you need to know. What other meds do you take? Have you ever taken Benadryl before?

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
              Yes, the 'metal mouth' is due to treatment. Not much you can really
              do - brush your teeth often, mints, etc.

              Yes, you can take Benedryl. It is often prescribed by doctors to help
              with sleep while on treatment. It is the ingrediant in Tylenol PM
              that makes you drowsy. Buy generic and save money! You would have to
              check with your doctor on the dose though. I think standard is 25mg,
              but I know it is prescribed at higher amounts to help with sleep
              during treatment.

              --- tammster62 <t1d1r1d1@...> wrote:

              > I have metal mouth really bad. Could this be related to treatments?
              > The other question is...is there any problem with taking a Benadryl
              >
              > tonight to help me sleep? I need sleep. I know that I should ask
              > the
              > doc, but with it being the weekend, that is out and I need to get
              > up
              > early this week. No sleeping late anymore :P
              > Thanks.
              > <><TammieD><>

            • tammster62
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
                Yes I have taken it with no problems. I am on the pegasys, copeg,
                neupogen, eupogen, and celebrex. I just took a child's dosage. I just
                want to get little sleepy. I get tired, but just cannot sleep.
                I am going to have to call my doc tomorrow and ask him for something
                for pain. I cannot hardly use my hands anymore.
                It was a REAL trick getting the child prove lid off of the
                antihistamine LOLOL.
                Oh, and just a reminder...I also have rheumatiod arthritis, which is
                made worse by the treatments from what I understand :(
                It seems to have settled in my knees and hands...but to every cloud
                there is a silver lining...it is NOT in my feet. That would be
                horrible.
                Anyway, thanks for listening.
                <><TammieD><>
                ps. Only 16 more shots until they test to see if this is working. 2
                months down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

                --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, "Shshonee" <shshonee@c...>

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                  Tammi...

                  Try MSM for you rheumatoid arthrititis. Taking all these over the counter and prescription meds are really taxing your liver. MSM is the natural sulfer our bodies produce. There is some research on it in the files section and it's well documented for rheumatoid arthritis.

                  Sleep...try switching your antidepressant to amitriptyline. Besides being an antidepressant, it promotes stage 4 sleep. Claudine recommended it when I was having problems sleeping and it worked for me.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                    In a message dated 8/2/2004 11:56:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    t1d1r1d1@... writes:
                    Oh, and just a reminder...I also have rheumatiod arthritis, which is
                    made worse by the treatments from what I understand :(
                    It seems to have settled in my knees and hands...but to every cloud
                    there is a silver lining...it is NOT in my feet. That would be
                    horrible.
                    Anyway, thanks for listening.
                    <><TammieD><>
                    ps. Only 16 more shots until they test to see if this is working. 2
                    months down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
                    Dear Tammie,
                    I, too have arthritis. Mine is predominately osteo, but it doesn't seem to
                    make a difference which type you have, treatment does worsen the symptoms.
                    Hang in there. The time goes by faster than you think.
                    My biggest problem with treatment was and will be that I'm mildly allergic to
                    albumen.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                      In a message dated 8/3/2004 9:03:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      tatezi@... writes:
                      Try MSM for you rheumatoid arthrititis. Taking all these over the counter and
                      prescription meds are really taxing your liver. MSM is the natural sulfer our
                      bodies produce. There is some research on it in the files section and it's
                      well documented for rheumatoid arthritis.
                      Tatezi's right. I thought we'd already suggested that. In addition to the
                      MSM you might want to add samE and chondrotin with glucosamine. I'm only
                      taking the MSM 1000 right now. It DOES make a big difference. Anne

                    • tammster62
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                        I am not on an antidepressant. Since I am taking the neupogen and
                        epogen, I have had no need for it. I did get down when my counts were
                        down, but since I have that straightened up, I have had no need for
                        those......so far.
                        I am trying desperately hard to stay off of anything that I don't
                        HAVE to take.
                        <><TammieD><>
                        ps. I took a child's dosage of antihistamine last night and it worked
                        wonderfully. I think I may pick up some chewables, the liquid is
                        horrible LOLOL.

                        --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, "Tatezi" <tatezi@s...>
                        wrote:
                        Sleep...try switching your antidepressant to amitriptyline.
                      • Shshonee
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                          I don't recomend switching an antidepressant to Elavil (amitryptiline sp), but your doctor may add it, as mine did. Elavil is an older "tricyclic" antidepressant and one of the big sides is sleepiness. It won't always work well as an antidepressant, but is often given in conjunction with other anti'd's. Many people take SSRI's or other anti d's and take Elavil for sleep.

                          However, always check with doc. Your doctor will know what Elavil is and what it is used for nowadays and what it should or should not be used with. It should not be used with any other sleep agent unless your doctor says to, even with Benadryl and other antihistimines, because it will increase the drowsiness a lot and might have certain reactions.

                          Doxipin is also used for sleeping as well as Trazadone. I'm sure there are others.

                          I like the sleep Elavil gives me but ya know what? Gives me hives. arg!

                        • Shshonee
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                            Be careful with SamE. It made me very depressed and sad. I would not add any meds to your list without consulting your doc. Know which med you use, try one at a time, and see how it reacts so that if there is a bad reaction, you will be able to identify the culprit easily.

                            Just wanted to slip that in there real quick like :)

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                              Thanks, Anne...I think that sometimes people think I'm weird with some of my suggestions. But I never suggest things that I haven't thoroughly researched and am generally using them myself.

                              Tatezi

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                                It is highly recommended that you start antidepressants when starting treatment. By the 3rd month the ribavarinn has destroyed your neurotransmitters and then the depression and crankiness sets in. It takes a month for antidepressents to kick in so you want them doing their thing before it's too late. You can confirm this with Claudine or with the nurse at Pegassist so you don't have to take my word for it.

                                Epogen is for your anemia but I don't know the other drug. Course, you need to do what is right for you.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
                                  In a message dated 8/3/2004 11:13:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  tatezi@... writes:
                                  Thanks, Anne...I think that sometimes people think I'm weird with some of my
                                  suggestions. But I never suggest things that I haven't thoroughly researched
                                  and am generally using them myself.
                                  Your welcome, Tatezi.