Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Anne...HIPPA

  • Arkhepcgal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2004
      I'll get on my soap box for just a few minutes about HIPAA

      In all of my years of seeing doctors in different states, I have always had
      to sign a release with/for them if there was a chance that my medical info was
      needed. I'm sure in a few isolated cases that this has not been so and
      someone's medical records have been released to the wrong party.

      But for whatever reason, our 'national leaders' in the mid-nineties decided
      we needed more protection...so here comes HIPAA.

      It has cost every medical office a lot of money, and my company well over a
      million dollars! For what? Even though there are security guards on duty at
      night, and the main lights are out, every single piece of paper must be tossed
      in a locked recycle bin or locked up in a file cabinet, etc. In fact, some
      departments had to have their 'pod' walls raised to over 8' to insure that no
      one would look over their wall and see something on the computer or on their
      desk that pertains to an individual...doesn't even have to be medical! Some have
      to have special badges to wear...if you don't have one, you are not allowed
      in the area that is clearly marked off, even though every person works for the
      same company. If I leave my computer for even just a few seconds or minutes,
      even if I stay in the same room, I have to lock the computer and have to make
      sure that every paper is turned over so that no name shows.

      Ridiculous you say? It sure is! It's gone way too far! Even someone who
      transferred out of the department is not allowed to come in to give a hand if
      needed.

      Without saying it further, I'm sure you get how I feel about the "HIPAA"
      program.

      Betty in Arkansas