[GIWorld-Hepatitis] Prescription for mouth sores ???

  • msnblk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2004
      Of course my stored emails aren't coming up with what I need now !!! There
      is a prescription for (I think) some sort of mouthwash that helps with the
      sores that come as a side effect of HCV treatment. Any recommendations ????

      Thanks.

      Nancy

    • jtwagers7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2004
        Hi Nancy - I didn't have the mouth sores from treatment, but when my wbcs
        dropped and I developed the peridontal infection, the doc prescribed Magic Mouth
        Wash (has Nystatin and Benadryl in it to help with the pain and infection).
        It is frequently prescribed to immunosuppressed patients who develop mouth
        sores.

        He also prescribed Lidocaine mouth wash (it numbs, so it helped greatly with
        the pain).

        There's also a "Mycelex troche", (a chewable tablet) that's Rxed for mouth
        sores.

        Biotene was also suggested, (over the counter -- comes in toothpaste,
        mouthwash, gel, gum), and helps keep the mouth more moist (which helps minimize
        sores). It's about 8.00 a tube, and I think it was worth it.

        Good luck!

        Julie

        -In a message dated 6/22/2004 12:24:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2004
          --- msnblk@... wrote:

          > Of course my stored emails aren't coming up with what I need now
          > !!! There
          > is a prescription for (I think) some sort of mouthwash that helps
          > with the
          > sores that come as a side effect of HCV treatment. Any
          > recommendations ????

          I had this in my files. I think Biotene also makes a mouthwash.
          Additonal B6 may help too.

          Subject: Re: Magic Mouthwash for mouth sores and ulcers???

          These are the two recipes I have:

          1/3 Maalox
          1/3 liquid Benadryl
          1/3 lidocain viscous 2% soloution

          Here's the second

          1/3 liquid Prednisone syrup 5mg/5ml
          1/3 liquid Benadryl
          1/3 liquid Nystatin

          You'll need a prescription for the prednisone and nystatin in the
          second
          recipe.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2004
            Claudine...

            Prednisone....steriods/cortisones that suppress our immune system...they can create a breeding ground for hcv. Even if you are only washing your mouth out, some of that prednisone has to be absorbed by one's system. Is the amount in this recipe too little to result in that?

            I found alum powder helped the sores I got...they were like canker sores. It was something I carried through life from my grandmother's teachings.

            You'll need a prescription for the prednisone and nystatin in the second recipe.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2004
              --- Tatezi <tatezi@...> wrote:
              > Claudine...
              >
              > Prednisone....steriods/cortisones that suppress our immune
              > system...they can create a breeding ground for hcv. Even if you are
              > only washing your mouth out, some of that prednisone has to be
              > absorbed by one's system. Is the amount in this recipe too little
              > to result in that?

              I have no idea.