OT-Interesting astronomical event on the 8th....

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4, 2004
      Thought I'd share this with the group...nothing to do with Hep C, but I've always found that with astronomical phenomenia, weird things happen...

      On Tuesday, June 8th, the planet Venus will glide directly across the face
      of the Sun. No one alive today has seen Venus "transit" the Sun -- it last
      happened in 1882 -- and astronomers around the world are eagerly awaiting
      the event. Only one other transit of Venus will occur this century, eight
      years from now on June 6, 2012.

      During this 6-hour-long event, Venus will appear as a perfectly round
      black dot slowly moving across the Sun's face....

      http://SkyandTelescope.com/observing/objects/article_1258_1.asp

      As an FYI, this is similar to an eclipse of the sun...do not look directly at the sun...always use a viewer box....it can burn your eyes...

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
        Tat,
        Are you sure your not late with that? I thought that happened in May? I
        missed it, so I hope you're right.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
          I copied it from my weekly Sky and Telescope newsletter...and for about a month I've had a big circle around Tuesday on my calendar.

          So you didn't miss it...

          Are you sure your not late with that? I thought that happened in May? I missed it, so I hope you're right.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
            In a message dated 6/5/2004 11:59:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            tatezi@... writes:
            I copied it from my weekly Sky and Telescope newsletter...and for about a
            month I've had a big circle around Tuesday on my calendar.

            So you didn't miss it...
            Thanks. I will watch. Maybe AOL skywatch missed the month. Anne

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
              From what I've heard, AOL misses alot ... <g>

              But remember not to look at the sun...this can burn your eyes the way an eclipse does....got to use one of those pinhole boxes...

              Thanks. I will watch. Maybe AOL skywatch missed the month. Anne

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2004
                In a message dated 6/7/2004 8:40:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                tatezi@... writes:
                From what I've heard, AOL misses alot ... <g>

                But remember not to look at the sun...this can burn your eyes the way an
                eclipse does....got to use one of those pinhole boxes...
                Okay, I didn't miss. You're talking sun, I was talking moon. Sorry for the
                confusion.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2004
                  Did you see it? It was pretty fascinating....

                  Okay, I didn't miss. You're talking sun, I was talking moon. Sorry for the
                  confusion.

                • cable mom
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 9, 2004
                    Viewing was supposed to be pretty good in the north east. Of course the
                    entire state of Maine was fogged in or overcast for the whole 2 hours and 18
                    minutes!

                    >From: "Tatezi" <tatezi@...>
                    >To: <GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] OT-Interesting astronomical event on the
                    >8th....
                    >Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:48:20 -0500
                    >
                    >Did you see it? It was pretty fascinating....
                    >

                    >Okay, I didn't miss. You're talking sun, I was talking moon. Sorry for
                    >the
                    >confusion.

                    MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE!
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 9, 2004
                      Don't you hate it when it does that?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                        In a message dated 6/9/2004 8:10:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        tatezi@... writes:
                        Viewing was supposed to be pretty good in the north east. Of course the
                        entire state of Maine was fogged in or overcast for the whole 2 hours and 18
                        minutes!
                        David andI were in the ER, so missed that. Venus crossing the moon last
                        month, was neat, though.