Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Prozac

    Message 1 of 10 , May 26, 2004
      Alley,
      You're right. I asked my authority on that sort of drug. Prozac was under
      fire and somewhat weakened or maybe reformulated. Zoloft has never been taken
      off the market. So, my appologies. Since the only ant D I've ever had a
      script for is Paxel, which didn't make the slightest bit of difference one way or
      the other; I'm ignorant of most of this, except for what I've researched
      relative to my concern for others.

    • Patricia (Alley)
      Message 2 of 10 , May 26, 2004
        Anne we learn as we go. None of the SSRI's work for me so phooey on em but for some they work miracles, I wouldn't take that away from them, and Wellbutrin is like a miracle drug for me, I'd be a bag of sand wihtout em lol. We as patients gotta be more vigilant with meds we take, and more responsible for what we ingest, I think.

        Things like SAMe and St. John's Wort are big no no's for me, make me moody and depressed just like SSRI's so that doesn't work. Kava kava that helps others sleep, gives me racing heart and palpatations, doc says bad bad reaction don't take anymore. So we learn as we go, sometimes too late unfortunately but there are things we just can't predict.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 26, 2004
          --- "Patricia (Alley)" <alleypat@...> wrote:
          > Things like SAMe and St. John's Wort are big no no's for me, make
          > me moody and depressed just like SSRI's so that doesn't work. Kava
          > kava that helps others sleep, gives me racing heart and
          > palpatations, doc says bad bad reaction don't take anymore.

          Kava kava is bad for your liver anyway!

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 10 , May 27, 2004
            Hi Anne

            I'm taking effexor cuz my doc says I'm depressed and I said huh? Truthfully it does make me feel better, I notice a difference if I only take one pill instead of the 2 a day....it gives me some energy, otherwise I'd just sleep my life away....which I seem to be doing anyway....LOL.

            You're right. I asked my authority on that sort of drug. Prozac was under
            fire and somewhat weakened or maybe reformulated. Zoloft has never been taken
            off the market. So, my appologies. Since the only ant D I've ever had a
            script for is Paxel, which didn't make the slightest bit of difference one way or
            the other; I'm ignorant of most of this, except for what I've researched
            relative to my concern for others.

          • Mark Middle Mountain
            Message 5 of 10 , May 28, 2004
              Regardless of whatever someone decides to do about AntiDs, please bear this
              in mind - if you are on one now, DO NOT STOP ABRUPTLY, do so under the care
              of a physician, and usually it is done incrementally.

              Long story short, my(then) teenaged daughter had a fairly innocuos teenage
              "stalker" on AntiDs who some probably well meaning person advised to stop
              taking them and he did and the rebound effect sent him over the top. He
              showed up at my house one morning after I had left for work but before the
              school bus had come. He was carrying an axe, and when my terrified younger
              son answered the door and told him to not come in he went around to a back
              door and went right into the house to my daughter's room who appropriately
              locked her door. He then went outside and started chopping down a 30 inch
              diameter tree in my front yard, when the bus came he tried to board it,
              quite the scenario. My family was all terrified.

              As it turned out, he probably wasn't violent, had some delusion that if he
              chopped up enough firewood (we heat with wood) for my daughter he could
              finally win her heart, but at first glance it was difficult to know that.
              The deputy sheriff who arrived and arrested him, told my wife it was a good
              thing I wasn't there because the guy would most likely been dead (the deputy
              knew me :-).

              So don't stop abruptly.

              Second, take some freshly ground flaxseed everyday. It is high in omega 3s
              which is a natural antidepressent, it has certainly helped me and a search
              of medline will yield more than one supporting study.

              Excercise is also an anti depressent.
            • Patricia (Alley)
              Message 6 of 10 , May 28, 2004
                <<if you are on one now, DO NOT STOP ABRUPTLY>>

                Excellent advice! There are quite a few meds that must be weaned from. Check with your doctor or pharmacist first.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 28, 2004
                  In a message dated 5/26/2004 6:32:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  alleypat@... writes:
                  Things like SAMe and St. John's Wort are big no no's for me, make me moody
                  and depressed just like SSRI's so that doesn't work.
                  Alley
                  I, too, am one of those unlucky people who will, usually, be either
                  non-responsive, respond by worsening (which is how I reacted to the ribavirin in the
                  combo), or have a weird allergic reaction to most drugs. I do well with
                  antibiotics, but I don't make a habit of taking them. We, as patients, don't always
                  know what will work for us. So, you're right it is a learn as you go venture.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 28, 2004
                    In a message dated 5/28/2004 9:44:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    gourdmad@... writes:
                    Second, take some freshly ground flaxseed everyday. It is high in omega 3s
                    which is a natural antidepressent, it has certainly helped me and a search
                    of medline will yield more than one supporting study.
                    No one should be abruptly taken off anti-depressents. That must have been a
                    frightening experience.

                  • jtwagers7@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 29, 2004
                      Wow -- yes, that kind of stuff does happen with AntiD's. When I look back
                      at my behavior while I was on AntiD's (the feeling of exhaustion, the
                      insomnia combined with it, and the bouts of agitation and rage at times), I think it
                      was because I was stopping one and starting another; stopping one and
                      starting another (this went on for years). And when I stopped Lexapro suddenly ? ?
                      ? It was awful -- no fun at all not to mention it was just plain dangerous
                      physiologically to do so. I knew I shouldn't stop something suddenly, but I
                      just didn't care, I guess.

                      I've always been an "animated-type" person (was diagnosed hyperactive as a
                      kid), and I think as an adult (40ish when they started me on AntiD's), that
                      it was the AntiD's that served to enhance the times I felt (and got) so angry.
                      I look at the way I feel and behave now compared to the way I felt and
                      behaved while taking then, and I was one who felt and acted like a lunatic
                      (delusional) while on them.

                      I'm glad you all were OK through that and that nothing tragic happened due to
                      his delusional state. I've got a friend who -- yesterday -- told me he had
                      stopped his Depakote suddenly. He's been on Prozac, Wellbutrin, Depakote,
                      three blood pressure medicines for five years (and more recently they've
                      prescribed Percocet and Ativan). He is tired of "all these da** pills", as he puts
                      it, and he talked to the VA docs a few months ago about getting off some of
                      the "head meds". (he's talked to them in years passed about getting off some
                      of them because he thinks they aren't helping). They told him he was on such
                      a low of Depakote that he didn't need liver function tests done, and that his
                      liver would be just fine (he doesn't have Hep C) . I saw him for the first
                      time yesterday (hadn't seen him in a few months), and he said he got angry at
                      all the meds he's been on, and that he "just stopped the damn things himself"
                      (the depakote). I told him to watch out on stopping anything suddenly and
                      to not DARE stop anything else suddenly and to call his doc about having
                      stopped the Depakote suddenly. He said "screw 'em -- they aren't going to listen to
                      what I have to say or want to do". And they really haven't listened to him,
                      not to mention he's now strung out on Ativan and Percocet that shouldn't have
                      been prescribed to the extent it was. In his case, the docs did him a HUGE
                      disservice to have EVER prescribed him (an admitted alcoholic who had relapsed
                      after 17 yrs of sobriety), Ativan AND Percocet. Granted, he may have needed
                      the Ativan while getting off the alcohol (he fessed up to the docs he had
                      fallen off the wagon and that he wanted to stop drinking). They offered rehab
                      or -- if he promised to stop drinking -- Ativan. He refused rehab and took the
                      Ativan. As far as the Percoet, he may have needed it for a few weeks for
                      pain, but it's been four months now, and they are STILL prescribing the Ativan
                      and the Percocet hand over fist, not to mention he's not stopped drinking. And
                      now? He has stopped the Depakote suddenly. I'm truly concerned for him.
                      This kind of "poly pharmacy" happens, and I don't think he's "ever coming
                      back". He's out there now -- drunk, strung out, Percocetted up, and it's just a
                      shame.

                      Let me stop rambling - lol !

                      You all have a great day.

                      Julie

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 31, 2004
                        In a message dated 5/29/2004 9:45:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        jtwagers7@... writes:
                        and the Percocet hand over fist, not to mention he's not stopped drinking.
                        And
                        now? He has stopped the Depakote suddenly. I'm truly concerned for him.
                        This kind of "poly pharmacy" happens, and I don't think he's "ever coming
                        back". He's out there now -- drunk, strung out, Percocetted up, and it's
                        just a
                        Julie,
                        Im horrified. What are they trying to do take him from alcoholism to drug
                        addiction? Dr.'s, admittedly, do not have time to study every aspect of every
                        field of medicene, but checking a physician's desk reference once in awhile
                        might be an idea.