Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] OT-Squirrels

  • jtwagers7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2004
      Hi Tatezi. Yes.. this place is quite entertaining with all the "creatures"
      (we live in the woods, the "sticks" - lol, and mother nature is the best
      entertainment I know of. And yes... I have beautiful sunflowers that come up
      under my bird feeders that I intentionally do not mow (I call it "the garden my
      birds planted). The seeds fall to the ground, and they root. Right now,
      their about 2 inches high, but by June, they will be about 7 feet tall (I have
      to stake them) and the heads of these sunflowers are as big as pie pans.
      They're HUGE and beautiful. Then the birds will eat the sunflowers from the
      real flower heads, and that's neat to watch. The yellow finch (or gold finch
      as some call it) hangs from the heads of the flowers to eat the seeds, and
      it's unbelievable how well camoflauged this yellow and black bird is when on
      that flower, eating. Mother nature at its best. The cardinals (red birds)
      also enjoy the flowers, and the sharp contrast (yellow / red) is also
      beautiful. At the end of the season when the sunflowers are past their peak and have
      fallen down (but are still good), I will cut the big flower heads off and
      then wrap them together and hang them from a tree so the birds can continue to
      enjoy. That's usually when the squirrels wind up stealing them! I've seen
      the squirrels run off with great big sunflower heads in their mouths. Ah....
      they gotta eat too! You should see em burying pecans. Now that makes me
      mad -- when they start stealing pecans from my trees, but..... then again, how
      many pecans can one use?? The neatest thing (in the bird world) that I
      enjoy is when the Cedar Waxwings come through (once a year) by the 1000's and
      strip the holly berries from the trees. They do it within a few hours, and
      then they're gone. But that's a beautiful bird, and to watch them come in
      when they KNOW the wild berries are "ripe" and "good for the getting" is, again
      -- mother nature at its best! If you plant flowers in pots, you should have
      some good luck attracting butterflies! Lantana (which would have to go in
      a BIG pot) will attract the butterflies like crazy. What kind of climate
      do you have? I'm in eastern NC.

      Well......gotta go. Hope you have a great day. I've finished my a.m.
      coffee and have to go tend to doggie greetings (poop) in the halllway. What a way
      to start the day, eh?

      Have a good one!

      Julie

      In a message dated 5/3/2004 7:00:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      tatezi@... writes:

      > Well, personally I think that sounds like wonderful entertainment...but it
      > does have it's drawbacks...do you have a lot of sunflowers growing around
      > your house now?
      >
      > My friends bought a type of feeders that if a creature weighs over a certain
      > amount, the door shuts and there is no food for them. Seems to work...they
      > don't have a squirrel problem.

    • Gail Samples
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2004
        From: jtwagers7@... [mailto:jtwagers7@...]
        I've finished my a.m.
        coffee and have to go tend to doggie greetings (poop) in the halllway.
        What a way
        to start the day, eh?

        Have a good one!

        Julie

        Julie-

        At least the dog didn't do it by the bed for you to step in as you got up
        this AM!

        gail
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2004
          In a message dated 5/3/2004 9:11:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          jtwagers7@... writes:
          Sometimes they slide too fast, and when they hit the top of the feeder
          they just fall off and hit the ground, but they will not give up! They climb
          back up the tree, access the situation again, and it's actually very funny to
          watch them "plan" their approach. Some go down head first; others go
          down butt first. They are one "bound and determined" creature.

          Y'all have a good day. Hope you outsmart those squirrels and have beautiful
          potted plants!

          Julie
          Well, Julie,
          At least they were entertaining. What can we say?

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2004
            Only cats seem to do that...they vomit right where you put your feet when swinging out of the bed......