RE: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] OT-Squirrels

  • Gail Samples
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3 5:56 AM
      It hasn't yet!

      gail

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Tatezi [mailto:tatezi@...]
      Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 8:45 AM
      To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] OT-Squirrels

      And the black pepper won't affect the plants that will go into the pots?
    • jtwagers7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3 6:10 AM
        LOL on squirrels and black pepper! I have SO many squirrels, it's
        pathetic. There's two hanging upside down on my sunflower feeder right now, just
        eating away, and they are soaking wet because it's pouring rain outside. Since
        I couldn't seem to ever outsmart them, I bought them a squirrel feeder one
        year (the kind that has 4 twirly arms for corn to hang on, and the squirrel
        gets on and turns round and round). It was entertaining to say the least
        (very), but they began planting corn in my flower beds, and field corn began
        coming up everywhere in the yard and garden, and so I had to take it down. I've
        watched them slide down monofilament line that my sunflower feeders are
        hanging from, from WAY UP HIGH, as if they're fire fighters going down the station
        pole. Sometimes they slide too fast, and when they hit the top of the feeder
        they just fall off and hit the ground, but they will not give up! They climb
        back up the tree, access the situation again, and it's actually very funny to
        watch them "plan" their approach. Some go down head first; others go
        down butt first. They are one "bound and determined" creature.

        Y'all have a good day. Hope you outsmart those squirrels and have beautiful
        potted plants!

        Julie

        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 3:59 PM
          Well, personally I think that sounds like wonderful entertainment...but it does have it's drawbacks...do you have a lot of sunflowers growing around your house now?

          My friends bought a type of feeders that if a creature weighs over a certain amount, the door shuts and there is no food for them. Seems to work...they don't have a squirrel problem.
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4 5:32 AM
            Hi Tatezi. Yes.. this place is quite entertaining with all the "creatures"
            (we live in the woods, the "sticks" - lol, and mother nature is the best
            entertainment I know of. And yes... I have beautiful sunflowers that come up
            under my bird feeders that I intentionally do not mow (I call it "the garden my
            birds planted). The seeds fall to the ground, and they root. Right now,
            their about 2 inches high, but by June, they will be about 7 feet tall (I have
            to stake them) and the heads of these sunflowers are as big as pie pans.
            They're HUGE and beautiful. Then the birds will eat the sunflowers from the
            real flower heads, and that's neat to watch. The yellow finch (or gold finch
            as some call it) hangs from the heads of the flowers to eat the seeds, and
            it's unbelievable how well camoflauged this yellow and black bird is when on
            that flower, eating. Mother nature at its best. The cardinals (red birds)
            also enjoy the flowers, and the sharp contrast (yellow / red) is also
            beautiful. At the end of the season when the sunflowers are past their peak and have
            fallen down (but are still good), I will cut the big flower heads off and
            then wrap them together and hang them from a tree so the birds can continue to
            enjoy. That's usually when the squirrels wind up stealing them! I've seen
            the squirrels run off with great big sunflower heads in their mouths. Ah....
            they gotta eat too! You should see em burying pecans. Now that makes me
            mad -- when they start stealing pecans from my trees, but..... then again, how
            many pecans can one use?? The neatest thing (in the bird world) that I
            enjoy is when the Cedar Waxwings come through (once a year) by the 1000's and
            strip the holly berries from the trees. They do it within a few hours, and
            then they're gone. But that's a beautiful bird, and to watch them come in
            when they KNOW the wild berries are "ripe" and "good for the getting" is, again
            -- mother nature at its best! If you plant flowers in pots, you should have
            some good luck attracting butterflies! Lantana (which would have to go in
            a BIG pot) will attract the butterflies like crazy. What kind of climate
            do you have? I'm in eastern NC.

            Well......gotta go. Hope you have a great day. I've finished my a.m.
            coffee and have to go tend to doggie greetings (poop) in the halllway. What a way
            to start the day, eh?

            Have a good one!

            Julie

            Message 5 of 8 , May 4 6:01 AM
              From: jtwagers7@... [mailto:jtwagers7@...]
              I've finished my a.m.
              coffee and have to go tend to doggie greetings (poop) in the halllway.
              What a way
              to start the day, eh?

              Have a good one!

              Julie

              Julie-

              At least the dog didn't do it by the bed for you to step in as you got up
              this AM!

              gail
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4 1:50 PM
                In a message dated 5/3/2004 9:11:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                jtwagers7@... writes:
                Sometimes they slide too fast, and when they hit the top of the feeder
                they just fall off and hit the ground, but they will not give up! They climb
                back up the tree, access the situation again, and it's actually very funny to
                watch them "plan" their approach. Some go down head first; others go
                down butt first. They are one "bound and determined" creature.

                Y'all have a good day. Hope you outsmart those squirrels and have beautiful
                potted plants!

                Julie
                Well, Julie,
                At least they were entertaining. What can we say?

                Message 7 of 8 , May 4 5:31 PM
                  Only cats seem to do that...they vomit right where you put your feet when swinging out of the bed......