Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] OT-Squirrels

    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2004
      And the black pepper won't affect the plants that will go into the pots? That's a wonderful idea and if they ever finish rebuilding our porch, I'll give it a try...if I still have room for a garden out there.

      Tatezi-

      I have the same problem with squirrels digging up the potted plants,
      sprinkling a cheap brand of black pepper in the pots will take care of the
      problem. But you have to do it several times every year until the new batch
      of youngsters (and forgetful oldsters) learns that digging in the pots isn't
      very pleasant.

      gail

    • Gail Samples
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2004
        It hasn't yet!

        gail

        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2004
          LOL on squirrels and black pepper! I have SO many squirrels, it's
          pathetic. There's two hanging upside down on my sunflower feeder right now, just
          eating away, and they are soaking wet because it's pouring rain outside. Since
          I couldn't seem to ever outsmart them, I bought them a squirrel feeder one
          year (the kind that has 4 twirly arms for corn to hang on, and the squirrel
          gets on and turns round and round). It was entertaining to say the least
          (very), but they began planting corn in my flower beds, and field corn began
          coming up everywhere in the yard and garden, and so I had to take it down. I've
          watched them slide down monofilament line that my sunflower feeders are
          hanging from, from WAY UP HIGH, as if they're fire fighters going down the station
          pole. Sometimes they slide too fast, and when they hit the top of the feeder
          they just fall off and hit the ground, but they will not give up! They climb
          back up the tree, access the situation again, and it's actually very funny to
          watch them "plan" their approach. Some go down head first; others go
          down butt first. They are one "bound and determined" creature.

          Y'all have a good day. Hope you outsmart those squirrels and have beautiful
          potted plants!

          Julie

          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2004
            Well, personally I think that sounds like wonderful entertainment...but it does have it's drawbacks...do you have a lot of sunflowers growing around your house now?

            My friends bought a type of feeders that if a creature weighs over a certain amount, the door shuts and there is no food for them. Seems to work...they don't have a squirrel problem.
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2004
              Hi Tatezi. Yes.. this place is quite entertaining with all the "creatures"
              (we live in the woods, the "sticks" - lol, and mother nature is the best
              entertainment I know of. And yes... I have beautiful sunflowers that come up
              under my bird feeders that I intentionally do not mow (I call it "the garden my
              birds planted). The seeds fall to the ground, and they root. Right now,
              their about 2 inches high, but by June, they will be about 7 feet tall (I have
              to stake them) and the heads of these sunflowers are as big as pie pans.
              They're HUGE and beautiful. Then the birds will eat the sunflowers from the
              real flower heads, and that's neat to watch. The yellow finch (or gold finch
              as some call it) hangs from the heads of the flowers to eat the seeds, and
              it's unbelievable how well camoflauged this yellow and black bird is when on
              that flower, eating. Mother nature at its best. The cardinals (red birds)
              also enjoy the flowers, and the sharp contrast (yellow / red) is also
              beautiful. At the end of the season when the sunflowers are past their peak and have
              fallen down (but are still good), I will cut the big flower heads off and
              then wrap them together and hang them from a tree so the birds can continue to
              enjoy. That's usually when the squirrels wind up stealing them! I've seen
              the squirrels run off with great big sunflower heads in their mouths. Ah....
              they gotta eat too! You should see em burying pecans. Now that makes me
              mad -- when they start stealing pecans from my trees, but..... then again, how
              many pecans can one use?? The neatest thing (in the bird world) that I
              enjoy is when the Cedar Waxwings come through (once a year) by the 1000's and
              strip the holly berries from the trees. They do it within a few hours, and
              then they're gone. But that's a beautiful bird, and to watch them come in
              when they KNOW the wild berries are "ripe" and "good for the getting" is, again
              -- mother nature at its best! If you plant flowers in pots, you should have
              some good luck attracting butterflies! Lantana (which would have to go in
              a BIG pot) will attract the butterflies like crazy. What kind of climate
              do you have? I'm in eastern NC.

              Well......gotta go. Hope you have a great day. I've finished my a.m.
              coffee and have to go tend to doggie greetings (poop) in the halllway. What a way
              to start the day, eh?

              Have a good one!

              Julie

              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2004
                From: jtwagers7@... [mailto:jtwagers7@...]
                I've finished my a.m.
                coffee and have to go tend to doggie greetings (poop) in the halllway.
                What a way
                to start the day, eh?

                Have a good one!

                Julie

                Julie-

                At least the dog didn't do it by the bed for you to step in as you got up
                this AM!

                gail
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2004
                  In a message dated 5/3/2004 9:11:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  jtwagers7@... writes:
                  Sometimes they slide too fast, and when they hit the top of the feeder
                  they just fall off and hit the ground, but they will not give up! They climb
                  back up the tree, access the situation again, and it's actually very funny to
                  watch them "plan" their approach. Some go down head first; others go
                  down butt first. They are one "bound and determined" creature.

                  Y'all have a good day. Hope you outsmart those squirrels and have beautiful
                  potted plants!

                  Julie
                  Well, Julie,
                  At least they were entertaining. What can we say?

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2004
                    Only cats seem to do that...they vomit right where you put your feet when swinging out of the bed......