RE: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Pigeons

  • Gail Samples
    Message 1 of 25 , May 3, 2004
      From: Tatezi [mailto:tatezi@...]

      Interesting how our wildlife affects our opinions of them depending where we
      live. I've stopped feeding the squirrels....the would dig up my pots
      continually in the spring and I'd have a terrible time getting my garden to
      survive.

      Tatezi-

      I have the same problem with squirrels digging up the potted plants,
      sprinkling a cheap brand of black pepper in the pots will take care of the
      problem. But you have to do it several times every year until the new batch
      of youngsters (and forgetful oldsters) learns that digging in the pots isn't
      very pleasant.

      gail
    • Gail Samples
      Message 2 of 25 , May 3, 2004
        From: GWhel@... [mailto:GWhel@...]

        My biggest problem is rabbits. I have a hundred and some perennials they
        love
        to chew on each Spring.

        Gene-

        Perhaps little garden of walking iris would satisfy them. They seem to love
        them and have wiped all mine out except for a couple of plants, and I used
        to have a whole bed of them!

        gail
      • cable mom
        Message 3 of 25 , May 5, 2004
          Tatezi,
          Your comment about not knowing that pigeons lived out of the cities made me
          think of Leonard Cohen's book "Beautiful Losers" which we were passing
          around in the '60s (along with viruses). One of the things I remember is
          several descriptions of huge flocks of pigeons, maybe passenger pigeons,
          which are extinct now. They lived in the forests of this beautiful country
          before the Europeans moved in and cut them down. Native Americans included
          them in a diet of wild game!

          Maybe the cities are the reservations for the pigeons.

          Pam in Maine

          Message 4 of 25 , May 5, 2004
            Maybe cities are refuges for pigeons, but I sorta remember reading that it was the europeans who brought the rock dove (which is what a pigeon really is) to this country.

            I also remember in more recent times (but haven't heard of it recently through my animal protection organizations) that the Boy Scout organization would trap pigeons in city and every year would take them to PA (don't remember where in PA) and release them and have a pigeon shoot...and it was the kids who did the shooting.

            No one seems to care about the pigeons and it continues to baffle me. They were homing pigeons during the wars delivering messages to our side. And they can teach us much. They are survivors, they are excellent parents and mate for life, if you ever notice a bunch of pigeons sitting out on wires or edges of buildings they are always separated by enough space that they can turn around without invading their neighbor's space, etc.

            Oh well, humyns will not change...the general humyn species considers itself to be superior to all other creatures which is why we have so many extinct and endangered creatures.

          • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , May 5, 2004
              YES>. pigeons live in the country.. LOL.. they love barns.. we had a barnful
              of them as i grew up... that and swallows and sparrows.. love farm life , i
              believe.. i want to study birds more in the after life.. He he.. when i have
              more time , i mean.. he he...
              Squirrels and rabbits here where i live now, in a city.. silly creatures..
              where my folks live .. have beautiful deer that come into the backyard.. fox ..
              coyote... umm quail.. pheasant, etc... anyway.. i am a country gal ...

              like all the wildlife talk..
              Dawn

            • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , May 5, 2004
                Hey , Gene,
                But the midwest is good.. right? .. would you ever consider moving.. what
                part of the midwest.. may i ask...

                curious,
                Dawn

              • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , May 5, 2004
                  No no no.. pigeons .. are abundant in farming country too... i can testify ..
                  to the ummm droppings.. in the barns.. LOL

                  still laughing,
                  Dawn

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 5, 2004
                    Speaking of barns (wow, my typeface is huge on my end even though it's set to 12 point...let me know how it comes through there because even your typing is huge...this happened once before and it ended up being a patch I'd downloaded from MS)

                    Anyway, speaking of barns, did you know that a family of barn owls will eat approximate 1500 mice in a week. Thought that was an interesting tidbit...learned it when I attended some seminars with a wild bird sanctuary. And when they fly they are completely silent...they have little hairs like eyelashes on the edges of their wings to break the wind so there is no sound when they fly. They flew them in the room at this seminar and you couldn't hear a thing but felt the air move as they flew over your head.

                    Just one of those probably worthless tidbits of info we sometimes store in our heads <g>
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 6, 2004
                      WOW on the 1500 mice in a week!! hoo hoo hoo hoooooo ! ! I just LOVE
                      owls! And yes -- they are remarkable (and highly accurate). I don't know
                      they're accuracy rate, but I can bet it's almost 100% with what they're equipped
                      with to hunt. You guys are just killing me (in a good good way) talking
                      about birds, animals, cats, dogs, wildlife, etc. (I'm huge fan of all of them
                      and in fact I consider them my "antidepressants" - lol - (I think as Dawn put
                      it). The Barn owl, though (dummy Julie) doesn't "hoot". lol. We have,
                      among many other kinds of owls, the Barred owl here, and this time of year
                      (mating season) they sound like a bunch of howling monkeys in a jungle talking
                      back and forth. The sound (if one has never heard them "chime up") can sound
                      scary. My Aunt came for a visit this Spring, and when she heard them "doing
                      their thing" (they were just about right over our heads) her eyes got real
                      big, her mouth dropped opened, and she exclaimed "what in the H*** is that!".

                      LOL -- Good way to begin my day (talking about wildlife). It's refreshing to
                      get my mind off Hep C and its problems, so.... y'all excuse me if I get a bit
                      "enthusiastic" over this OT (off topic).

                      Hope everyone has good day. :) .

                      Julie

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 6, 2004
                        It's nice that even though we are all fighting this dragon, that we can find pleasure in our 4 legged, winged ones, etc. brothers and sisters.

                        And just because we are all here to help support one another through living with HCV, doesn't mean that we can't talk about other things...just because we have this dragon in common, our lives and the things that give us pleasure are a part of our lives.

                        We just need to always remember to use a subject line so those who don't care to participate in sharing the other side of our lives, know to hit the delete key...and I try (sometimes I forget...imagine that <g>) to always delete as much of the previous message as we can while leaving enough of the thread so we know what we are talking about. I remember being on dial up...and the times I've been on digest the challenge of going through long threads in one message.

                        And barn owls eyes can rotate almost a full 360 degrees which accounts for it's accuracy. I learned some wonderful things at the wild bird sanctuary sessions. I didn't know that the barn own didn't hoot though.

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 6, 2004
                          I think they make a sound that's more of a screech ...... not like the "hoo
                          hoo hoo" of a great horned or barred owl. And thoroughbreds? I grew up
                          with horses, and finally -- (my love for them was so intense), I went to KY
                          when I was 17 and worked as an exercise rider. Up at 3 a.m., off by 7 a.m.
                          lol. Hard hard work. Worked at The Kentucky Horse Park and Keenland, too.
                          I miss "My Old Kentucky Home". Smarty Jones is a good-looking horse, and
                          I hope we have a triple crown winner this year. It's about time!

                          Julie

                          Message 12 of 25 , May 6, 2004
                            In a message dated 5/6/2004 2:49:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            tatezi@... writes:
                            Anyway, speaking of barns, did you know that a family of barn owls will eat
                            approximate 1500 mice in a week. Thought that was an interesting
                            tidbit...learned it when I attended some seminars with a wild bird sanctuary. And when they
                            fly they are completely silent...they have little hairs like eyelashes on the
                            edges of their wings to break the wind so there is no sound when they fly.
                            They flew them in the room at this seminar and you couldn't hear a thing but felt
                            the air move as they flew over your head.

                            Just one of those probably worthless tidbits of info we sometimes store in
                            our heads <g>
                            Another tidbit on the same order. Martins eat 10 times their weight in
                            mosquitoes daily. Good enough reason to invest in a martin house. Bats do the
                            same thing, however, I prefer the martins :-). Anne

                            Message 13 of 25 , May 6, 2004
                              In a message dated 5/6/2004 8:53:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              jtwagers7@... writes:
                              LOL -- Good way to begin my day (talking about wildlife). It's refreshing to
                              get my mind off Hep C and its problems, so.... y'all excuse me if I get a bit
                              "enthusiastic" over this OT (off topic).
                              We all need a break from HCV sometimes. That's what keeps the endorphins
                              going. Laughter really is the best medicine.

                              Message 14 of 25 , May 6, 2004
                                My friends who live a few blocks from me in a real neighborhood...grass, trees, etc. had bats flying around the street light in the alley one year. So they went out and bought a bat house...10 years later and no one moved in. Same with their purple martin house...no one moved in. But they get an incredible variety of birds and critters. And in the city we have a fair amount of kestrels and peregrines....they introduced them to the city for pigeon control. Someone didn't do their research too well because kestrels (sparrow hawks) are too small for pigeons although you can often see them snatching up sparrows. But the peregrines have made it...and they do feed on the pigeons.
                                Just one of those probably worthless tidbits of info we sometimes store in our heads <g>Another tidbit on the same order. Martins eat 10 times their weight in

                                Message 15 of 25 , May 6, 2004
                                  Julie..
                                  I dont consider it off topic.. LOL... as what ever stimulates ya... stress is
                                  the evil one.. we all have to fight against.. and what the heck.. love
                                  animals and plants.. altho.. I DO not have a green thumb.. LOL .. my ex once gave
                                  away a poinsetta i won.. somehow.. cuz he knew i would kill it..

                                  night all,.
                                  DAwn

                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 7, 2004
                                    In a message dated 5/6/2004 8:38:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    tatezi@... writes:
                                    10 years later and no one moved in. Same with their purple martin house...no
                                    one moved in.
                                    Tell them not to give up hope. It took a few years for the birds to find our
                                    bird house.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 7, 2004
                                      They've been waiting for years...and they've given up hope...

                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 8, 2004
                                        I didn't know piegeons also mated for life. They turn up in the darndest
                                        places. Truly survivors. I went under a narrow underpass in Watervile ME
                                        and one flew into my side window. Bad timing for him. I turned around to
                                        was clear that under the bridge was a whole pigeon colony, including a
                                        graveyard. Just driving by you had no idea they were there.

                                        Dawn, I've suffered from depression most of my life. For about 10 years I
                                        wasn't diagnosed. Just thought it was me being a schmuck. I wish I had
                                        some good advice - I don't. I've tried different anti-depressants, gained
                                        weight because of it and still have trouble understanding exactly what part
                                        is depression and what isn't. Talking does help. I guess all I can say is
                                        we are listening and understand.

                                        Pam in Maine

                                      • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 15, 2004
                                          In a message dated 5/8/2004 8:36:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                          parend53@... writes:

                                          > Dawn, I've suffered from depression most of my life. For about 10 years I
                                          > wasn't diagnosed. Just thought it was me being a schmuck. I wish I had
                                          > some good advice - I don't. I've tried different anti-depressants, gained
                                          > weight because of it and still have trouble understanding exactly what part
                                          > is depression and what isn't. Talking does help. I guess all I can say is
                                          > we are listening and understand.
                                          >
                                          > Pam in Maine

                                          thanks, Pam.... I have the ups and downs with depression.. funny.. i was
                                          never depressed all my life til this came.. when i was diagnosed .. docs said I
                                          had probably had it for about 20 years.... so at the beginning of my marriage..
                                          think maybe came at the birth of my first child.... very dirty rural hosp...
                                          had infection in my stitches even and had to have minor surgery on them..
                                          couldnt sit for some weeks.. LOL... loved that donut thing for the bath... called
                                          it a sits bath then.. LOL... memories.. do a lot of remembering of late ..
                                          comes with age i guess.. fought idea that i am older for some time but.. is
                                          finally sneaking in .. when it takes me a few minutes to get up from sitting..
                                          LOL...Yes, Pam, talking is so good.. and esp on here and at my support group..
                                          altho better here cuz most in my support group dont seem to have problems i do..
                                          as yet.. no one with cirrhosis.. sorry .. running at the mouth.. been a long
                                          week... and going to sleep in tmr.. or should say this morning... later all..

                                          not so down this week,
                                          Dawn

                                        • Alleypat
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 15, 2004
                                            Well at least you know it didn't come from the infection from your stitches :)