Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Life is so Hard...was thyroid problems

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 21, 2004
      Hi Dawn....

      We are so hard on ourselves sometimes...I've never figured out why when we get depressed, we take it out on ourselves. It's a vicious cycle...and hard to break free from. But then that's why we are all here...to prop one another up when it's needed.

      And often we do it to ourselves...we aren't allowed to have any weaknesses...can't have a bad day...shame on us if we can't always be up, strong and taking care of business. Funny, my boss who is my soul mate and I were just discussing this a few hours ago when she sent me home to have a day for myself. I've been very angry for the last day or so. Not at any person...just angry. This seems to be my curse with treatment...

      Most middle aged wimmin become hypothyroid...guess it's the price we pay for being the better sex. <g> But it's not so bad to have to take a pill a day for the rest of our lives if it makes us feel better...and to my knowledge there aren't any bad sides from synthroid. And being hypothyroid also feeds into our depression...thethyroid is the engine that runs our bodies so when it isn't working, not much else can work. It seems like since my thyroid blew out with my first round of treatment, it's a constant battle to keep it at a level where I feel best. And I've had to fight doctors to keep it as low as I feel good at...they don't seem to understand that wimmin tend to feel better at the lower end of normal.

      I've given up before too...nothing wrong with that. We have to remember that we are only humyn...sometimes everything in our lives just overwhelms us and we don't have it in us to fight any more. It's okay to feel miserable...it's okay to take time out of the struggle to feel sorry for ourselves. That's a lesson I've learned through all of this...we can't be towers of strength all the time and if we can accept that and allow ourselves a pity day/week/month, that's okay. It's healthy to be who we are...and when all is said and done, we do pull ourselves up and keep going...that too is why we are the better sex. <g>

      Hang in there, Dawn. As Willem reminds me each time I bottom out, this too will pass. And it does pass...don't ever think it will when I'm caught up in it, but it does.

      Blessings

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 21, 2004
        Tat said <<Most middle aged wimmin become hypothyroid>>

        I'd rather be hypersexed.

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 21, 2004
          Sorry...no such luck <g>

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 21, 2004
            LOL

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 22, 2004
              In a message dated 4/21/2004 11:20:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, csean@...
              writes:
              I'd rather be hypersexed.
              Well, now there's a thought; and a far more pleasant one at that :-)

            • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 26, 2004
                Thanks Tatezi..
                I re read what i posted and know that was an especially down day... It is not
                like that all the time.. i hate sitting on the "pitty pot" .. like that
                sounded... most times people think i am a very up person.. .. I am having problems
                with water retention in my feet of late.. but am loving the signs of spring
                showing up here .. finally .. in Minnesota.. the cold country.. but the most
                beautiful place to live.. I love the 4 seasons and have learned even more since
                the diagnosis in 99 .. to appreciate all the little things in life.. i love a
                boat ride and fishing on the lakes here.. like to watch each sunset and
                sometimes.. even see the sunrise.. LOL... anyway .. this msg board is the only thing
                keeping me online.. at least once a week.. it sure does help.. i may not
                always contribute...like many of you.. but i read and learn and am upbuilt...

                Love the simple things,
                Dawn

              • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 26, 2004
                  LOL.. alley!!

                  hypersexed.. even just a partner.. would be nice.. he he..

                  joking
                  Dawn

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 26, 2004
                    We all have down days, Dawn. But it's the down days that make the up days so special.

                    We just keep plugging along and counting those days until treatment is over.

                    BTW, are you taking milk thistle?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 26, 2004
                      I'll go for the partner, and I'm not joking! <grin>

                      Treatment and prozac have laid waste to my libido. Off the prozac about 5
                      months now, and libido is beginning to return.

                      Sally

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 26, 2004
                        Tatezi.. i am not on treatment.. been there twice.. and am on milk thistle..
                        big believer.. have upped it.. how much is suggested?

                        goal oriented today,
                        Dawn

                      • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 27, 2004
                          LOL.... i agree Tat...

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 28, 2004
                            In a message dated 4/26/2004 1:37:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            shines@... writes:
                            Treatment and prozac have laid waste to my libido. Off the prozac about 5
                            months now, and libido is beginning to return.
                            Anti-depressants have a tendency to do that. To me, it's not worth it. I'd
                            rather watch the garden grow and enjoy Spring. By the way, pulling up weeds
                            is a productive way of getting around riba rage, provided you have the energy
                            to have the rage or move, in the first place.

                            Hang in there, a better day is coming.

                          • alleypat@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 28, 2004
                              <<Treatment and prozac have laid waste to my libido. Off the prozac about 5
                              months now, and libido is beginning to return.
                              Anti-depressants have a tendency to do that.>>

                              I haven't had that problem with Wellbutrin. Thank goodness! Maybe because it works on dopamine instead of seratonin.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 28, 2004
                                Yeah, treatment and antidepressants do a number on your libido. I'm sure glad I'm past that time in my life where my libido had a top prioritity.

                                Gardening....I used to do a lot of gardening...container gardening on the back porch of my apartment. I love to have my hands in the dirt...planting watching new life begin, weeding, etc. Flowers close to my door, a rose scented geranium and some lavendar closest to the door. The tomatos and peppers get planted further down the porch.

                                But I don't know what will happen this year. They got busted by the city for an unsafe porch and have torn it down and are rebuilding...but they also redesigned it and have the stairs almost right outside my back door. I'm not going to have much space to work with and may just have to do with one or two hanging plants...and my bird bath for my pigeons. <g>

                                Tatezi

                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 29, 2004
                                  In a message dated 4/28/2004 9:23:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  tatezi@... writes:
                                  But I don't know what will happen this year. They got busted by the city for
                                  an unsafe porch and have torn it down and are rebuilding...but they also
                                  redesigned it and have the stairs almost right outside my back door. I'm not going
                                  to have much space to work with and may just have to do with one or two
                                  hanging plants...and my bird bath for my pigeons. <g>
                                  If your window sills will hold them, try window flower pots. They have metal
                                  brackets at Lowe's that you can loop over the edges of the window, put a box
                                  in, and go for it. You can close the window. If you have storm windows this
                                  won't work well. It will work with a screen. They are sturdy unless you
                                  really have high winds. We grew zucchini squash in ours last year. I didn't get
                                  enough to freeze, but we had plenty for the summer.
                                  Pidgeons........speaking of birds. We have a mother robin who lost her sense
                                  of direction. She buildt her nest on top of the front porch light fixture.
                                  So we promptly put a sign at the foot of the stairs for visitors and a note on
                                  the inside of the front door reminding us that we couldn't disturb her. She
                                  sits happily on her nest and I hope to see little heads peeping out soon.
                                  Bear in mind that we have a bird house that is empty. And innumerable trees for
                                  her to find a happy home in. In addition to that Mother we have another in our
                                  weeping cherry tree. She is Mrs. Cardinal and the cats have been politely
                                  guarding and watching. Shadow has no claws and Brandy only has her back ones,
                                  so they are no danger to her plus they both hate Blue Jays. All this makes for
                                  an interesting Spring. If I remember correctly, your Spring is about 6 weeks
                                  behind ours. I consider Spring the point at which I will leave windows open
                                  during the day, but not at night.
                                  Happy Gardening,

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 30, 2004
                                    Thanks for the tip on window boxes. I have one outside my kitchen window which has become the birdbath while the porch is down and they can't have their big birdbath. But the other windows in my house are difficult to get to (I out grew this apartment years ago) and not conducive to window boxes.

                                    Love the stories about your birds. Robins seem to like to be around lights..must be the warmth. My friend had a pair last year and they are back this year. Babies flew away in about 3-4 weeks and their pair had two sets of babies.
                                    If your window sills will hold them, try window flower pots. ...We have a mother robin who lost her sense of direction. She buildt her nest on top of the front porch light fixture. So we promptly put a sign at the foot of the stairs for visitors and a note on the inside of the front door reminding us that we couldn't disturb her.

                                  • jtwagers7@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 30, 2004
                                      OMG! Who''s the bird enthusiast here? LOL. Loved the story about
                                      protecting the robin nest! I've got feeders and nesters everywhere and have been
                                      a bird enthusiast forever. My bluebirds are feeding their babies now.
                                      They'll usually do two nests per year in the same box. They almost got chased
                                      out by Chickadees this spring, but the blue birds finally WON! My wrens roost
                                      and nest in my hanging ferns every year (they'll nest anywhere, and I'll go
                                      out to protect the nest - lol!). I'll spend my last dime on black oil
                                      sunflower seed and thistle! The hummers are here now, and so it's sugar water
                                      making time, too. We're sitting here in the den this a.m., commenting on how
                                      many birds and hummers are feeding this morning. Love dem birdies AND flowers!
                                      Good medicine.

                                      Julie

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 30, 2004
                                        In a message dated 4/30/2004 8:45:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        tatezi@... writes:
                                        I have one outside my kitchen window which has become the birdbath while the
                                        porch is down and they can't have their big birdbath. But the other windows in
                                        my house are difficult to get to (I out grew this apartment years ago) and
                                        not conducive to window boxes
                                        Glad you enjoyed the bird stories. I'll keep you posted on their goings on.
                                        I didn't think about it, but David opened the pool, hope they don't fall in
                                        and drowned. Our neighbors have a Canadian Goose Mother who has her nest on the
                                        bank. Last year her eggs were broken with only one left. I seriously
                                        considered trying to save it, since she had obviously deserted the nest.. It was too
                                        late, and how would I teach a Canadian Goose how to fly. We have goose and
                                        duck crossings in the neighborhood. The good news is that all the turtles in
                                        the pond are box, so no snappers to eat baby geese or ducks......mallards.
                                        Somewhere over by the river we had an Ospreys nest. The hurricane may have undone
                                        that. I forgot to check and see if the tree is still there, or not.
                                        Keep your bird bath. They probably need the water.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 30, 2004
                                          Bird watching does bring us pleasure and it sounds like you live in a great location. At my apartment in the city I'm limited to pigeons, sparrows and starlings. But my friends who have a house with yard a couple blocks away have a virtual wildlife sanctuary in their yard. But I feed the guys I have....although most people call pigeons flying rats, I've learned they are pretty intelligent birds and have a great survival instict. Lots to be learned from watch our wildlife.

                                          And it's Anne that has the robins nesting right now.......

                                          Tatezi
                                          Who''s the bird enthusiast here? LOL.. Love dem birdies AND flowers!
                                          Good medicine.

                                          Julie

                                        • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 4 10:43 PM
                                            I feel sorry for you folks.. I always say.. it is the best to live in the
                                            country... all the animals and plants you want.. wish i could retire there.. did
                                            grow up there.. just maybe.. will have to move back to my folks farm in South
                                            Dakota.. proud of the country there...

                                            Smiling today,
                                            Dawn

                                          • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 4 10:49 PM
                                              hey , read up on Canadian Geese.... they mate for a lifetime i believe... my
                                              folks have a pair that come back every year to their stock dam... i love to
                                              watch the geese move north and south each year.. !!

                                              love all God's animals and plants,
                                              Dawn