My hemoglobin

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11 9:34 AM
      Thanks for everyone's feedback...rather than respond to each message I'm just going to send this one. My little trip to breakfast with my friends really wore me down.

      Claundine, I agree with Carol...I don't know what we would do without your knowledge.

      And yes, you are right...you don't see doctors at the County facility, you get interns. But they supposedly go to consult with the staff doctor before sending you home. The more research I do and the more you guys post, I realize how serious this is....and I'm angry that I wasn't treated properly....let alone informed to limit physical activity.

      Medical professionals infuriate me when they keep secret your state of health. Guess that's why I value my real doc even though without insurance I can't go see him.

      Since I have the lab order for next week, I'm going in to get my blood pulled tomorrow instead of next week. How's this for incompetency...he was supposed to order my TSH and marked the form for a thyroid panel, totally ignoring the check box under it for TSH. Obviously he doesn't know that the TSH is a separate test from a thyroid panel. I checked the box for the TSH test and hope it slides through.

      I've increased my B Complex, C, E and folic acid and am doing as little as possible. And Claudine, you are probably right about the smoking...hard to smoke when you can't catch your breath. Guess that's why without any thought I decided to not smoke for a day....and now it's been 12 days.

      And I do sleep a lot...and type of activity sends me to bed for a nap. I'm not doing anything that doesn't have to be done so that leaves cat care and laundry. I have no energy, walking from one end of my apartment to the other end leaves me gasping for air and my heart pounding.

      But now that I'm armed with knowledge, I'll get action if my hemoglobin is still low...All I need is to know what is necessary and then I can fight. I'll also call Pegassist today and discuss this with them and get armed with more information.

      Let me tell you, the feeling of your heartbeat racing and gasping for air is not a pleasant experience. Some times I think my lungs will explode. This is very debilitating and I am not pleased about not being told the facts so that I could learn what to do and what to avoid.

      Thank you everyone for being here for one another...this is a perfect example of why we have to stay informed because if we aren't we are at the mercy of "doctors" who are not informed.

      Blessings to all

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11 10:46 AM
        In a message dated 4/11/2004 12:34:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        tatezi@... writes:
        Thank you everyone for being here for one another...this is a perfect example
        of why we have to stay informed because if we aren't we are at the mercy of
        "doctors" who are not informed.
        I'm going to make one more suggestion for future reference. Have the intern
        write you a script for Albuterol. Now, before you hit the roof at that idea,
        let me say that you need to ignore the "inhale 2times, 4 times a day"
        recommended dosage, but if this ever happens again, you'll have it as back up. DO NOT
        forget to shake it before you inhale. It's fairly mild, and it will ease the
        "breath with a wheeze problem". PLEASE be careful, just for us.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11 3:09 PM
          Hi Anne....

          They gave me Albuterol and Atrovent...along with what I equate with a pipe. I told them I can't handle that shit...gives me a sore throat and I lose my voice. They said this extender thing would help with that problem.

          Don't know if it's helping...both say 2 puffs, 4x daily. I doubt that I've done that much. I'm annoyed by it because it gives me a taste in my mouth worth than the metal mouth from treatment. Drink plenty of water after doing a couple shots of this stuff...but the taste remains.

          Another thing that helps to get oxygen to the lungs is to take a deep breath from a jar of pickles and fill your lungs with it. It's an old aviator's trick from the days before they were allowed to use oxygen (gotta love those old timers who were around for WW2). And actually, it seems to do more good than this other shit.

          You mentioned the "breath with a wheeze problem". Is this part of the anemia? Geeze, I was thinking it was from smoking.

          Tatezi (I need some sweet potato muffins <g>)

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11 3:15 PM
            Hi Tat

            Sorry to hear about your anemia. I got pretty anemic during treatment as well
            and my doctor offered procrit and something else , cant' remember now what.
            But he said, some of his patients experienced very bad bone pain from Procrit
            and would rather deal with the weakness and breathlessness then the bone pain.
            Its probably like most things different side effects with everyone.

            I finished treatment in mid Dec 03. No sign of the virus from blood tests at
            end of treatment, Had another yest in Jan 04 and then again in April and
            still undetectable. Will have another test in August and if it still has not come
            back then I should be ok according to what they know about this stuff.

            I still feel breathless like I got asthma or something from the treatment and
            some joint aches and muscle aches. It may be from being inactive for so long.
            But I am glad I did the treatment. My liver function tests are normal now and
            they have not been for the past 8 years at least that I know of. I was also
            getting very tired from the virus before.

            I feel very positive about your clearing this on this time around. My doctor
            mentioned that he sees more success with type 1s on Pegasys and your trying
            that now right?

            I agree with William on the work though, if you can take time off, thats the
            way to go til you finish.

            Good luck
            Sharon

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11 3:45 PM
              Thanks, Sharon...

              I'm not sure what I'm going to do about work...but I am sure that I will be a County at 7am when they open to get my labs pulled and an appointment set up for tomorrow instead of a week from tomorrow.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 12 5:50 AM
                  In a message dated 4/11/2004 6:38:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  tatezi@... writes:
                  Another thing that helps to get oxygen to the lungs is to take a deep breath
                  from a jar of pickles and fill your lungs with it. It's an old aviator's trick
                  from the days before they were allowed to use oxygen (gotta love those old
                  timers who were around for WW2). And actually, it seems to do more good than
                  this other shit.

                  You mentioned the "breath with a wheeze problem". Is this part of the
                  anemia? Geeze, I was thinking it was from smoking.
                  Which kind, sweet or dill........wonder if that's the spices of the
                  vinegar???????? I'm very fond of some of those aviators myself.....some I'm not, but
                  there's no point in getting into personal histories here.

                  Could be either, but if you weren't wheezing with smoking prior to the
                  anemia. It's the anemia.

                  I know the taste is awful, never mind your breath. I found that sucking on
                  Altoids helped. I prefer cinnamon.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 12 1:48 PM
                    Well, I find this to be the best news I've heard so far....that means I can have my cigs back when this is all over.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 12 1:49 PM
                      That's right....I'd forgotten that many pregnant people get cravings for pickles <g>
                      HI.I took a breath of a jar of pickles and people asked me if I was pregnant.Willem.