Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Hi all...with an update

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 9, 2004
      Tatezi!

      Did I miss something? Let me get this straight - your hemoglobin is
      ** 4% **??!! Any person who presented to a hospital/ER with a
      hemoglobin that low would be receiving a blood transfusion! I can't
      believe they have let it get this low. You should be on Procrit or
      Epogen. Dropping one riba capsule (if I'm reading this right) will
      probably not make the difference that needs to be made as fast as it
      needs to be made. With a Hgb of 4 I'm surprised you can drag yourself
      out of bed and up to a computer to type anything. If you get to
      feeling worse, please go to an ER. An Hgb of only 4 is dangerous.

      Claudine

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
        In a message dated 4/9/2004 10:16:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, csean@...
        writes:
        Well Tatezi....please rest as much as possible until you can get back to
        normal....I know it can't be easy with work and home life but dust bunnies can be
        our friends too ;-) At least it works for me LOL.
        Dust bunnies have been my friends for over 48 years................and will
        continue to be. I'm rather fond have cat hair, too.........:-)

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
          Claudine....

          I'm in pretty awful shape...I will admit that. Don't like admitting it, but sometimes I have to be realistic. Been sleeping a whole lot (we were off yesterday). The intern I saw this week at County actually gave me his pager number and said if I felt worse to page him and get to the emergency room. So I knew it was serious....county interns do not give out their pager numbers. But of course they wouldn't tell a mere mortal anything about what was happening to me. That's why I posted my update...I needed you guys and your knowledge.

          And you are right about the dragging myself places. I live on the second floor and after a few steps I have to sit down to not only catch my breath but to slow down my heartrate. I've been leaving an half hour early for work because it's the same thing with the stairs on the elevated. This has been going on for a month now...and they've been running weekly CBCs tracking my platelettes...guess they didn't pay attention to anything else. I looked back to my last lab and my hemoglobin was at 6...surely that would have rung some warning bells to a real doctor.

          I was unaware of the danger I was in until I came home from County and did some research...damn, you can die from severe anemia. My skin has no color to it...my face is actually a pasty white. And once I get up and move to a different location...I stay there as long as possible.

          A friend drove 100 miles to come to the city to take me out to do my errands yesterday...apparently he knew the danger I was in. But those interns at County should have informed me of what to avoid...they never mentioned that if I overextended myself I could have a heart attack. All they said was that if it gets worse to page them and go to the emergency room. They didn't even warn me to watch for chest pains.

          Why they didn't prescribe procrit or epogen...I don't know. But if it does get worse, I will go to a hospital....even though I don't have insurance, I will go to a real hospital because I sure would not trust County with a blood transfusion...especially now that I know how dangerous this is.

          My doc (my doc of years and years who has been working with me all this time of no insurance) was on vacation last week...I did call him to discuss this and ask him to prescribe procrit or something for me. Darn, he's always there for me in a crisis and this time he's on vacation.

          So this is what I'm doing...maybe you can tell me if I can hold off until Monday when my doc is back. With my friend to drive me around yesterday I got my errands done. I had a major pigeon rescue this morning so went to breakfast with my friends who helped in the rescue. I don't plan on leaving the house all weekend. The only chores I will do are laundry...no cleaning house. I try to stay in one location...but even sitting here typing I am breathless. They gave me non-steroid inhalers to help with the breathlessness. Have to admit, I'm not doing them as often as they prescribed...the back of my throat is so sore and my voice is gone...man, they are nasty. I've taken the cardboard from a roll of paper towels, lined it with foil on the inside and taped the inhaler to the end so hopefully the air will help dilute what I'm inhaling (us old hippies still remember little tricks like that <g>). And other than staying still as much as possible that's my game plan until I can talk to my real doc on Monday.

          Anything else I should avoid to make it through the weekend?

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
            In a message dated 4/10/2004 12:15:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            tatezi@... writes:
            I'm in pretty awful shape...I will admit that. Don't like admitting it, but
            sometimes I have to be realistic. Been sleeping a whole lot (we were off
            yesterday). The intern I saw this week at County actually gave me his pager number
            and said if I felt worse to page him and get to the emergency room. So I knew
            it was serious....county interns do not give out their pager numbers. But of
            course they wouldn't tell a mere mortal anything about what was happening to me.
            That's why I posted my update...I needed you guys and your knowledge.
            Yea gads and little fishes, Tat, If they gave you an inhaler, then they
            should have hospitalized you then.......and all they told you to do was lower your
            ribavirin level.......
            Well, since it's Sat. I guess you can wait until Monday, but for heaven's
            sake stay put, do nothing, and keep the phone in your hand. Not to sound
            frightening, but if I were there you'd be in the hospital. I forgot about your
            thyroid problem or I wouldn't have suggested the iron.
            Please be careful and call county intern on pager if
            necessary...........don't hesitate........
            and that's a friendly order.

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
              Tatezi, I am worried about your rapid heartbeat too.....I had that when I tried the old combo....in fact, I still have it and am going to a cardiologist after having an ECG. That's one of the many reasons I quit the treatment....my heart was racing so fast I couldn't take my pulse and then I started getting chest pains. I think it's from the riba rather than the interferon....which could be why they told you to drop a pill. But that's not acceptable in your case. Try to sleep as much as you can this weekend and go to the hospital immediately if you get chest pains or your heart is racing. I don't know the numbers like Claudine does but you're way too low for hemoglobin. I'll feel better knowing you can get ahold of your doc on Monday....please, do nothing physical ok?

              Huggggs

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
                Well, I finally got your ORIGINAL post. Late.

                I'm wondering if that 4% hgb could be a lab error. It does sound like
                (from your symptoms) that anemia could be a problem, but that is a
                HUGE drop in only two weeks, and especially for it to occur this late
                into treatment is odd. That is the sort of thing that usually happens
                in the first 4 weeks. I hope it is a mistake since an hgb of 4 is
                very bad.

                It's a very good thing you're not smoking. Your body must have been
                telling you something. You really don't have any O2 to waste on cigs
                right now. Hopefully you will decide to make it a permanent change. I
                smoked for many years and quitting was the hardest thing I've ever
                done. Once before I quit, then thought I could just smoke the
                occasional one. Nope, it was right back to a pack a day immediately.
                Good luck, and keep us posted.

                Claudine

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
                  --- Tatezi <tatezi@...> wrote:

                  > I've not done any iron...I going to see what happens by dropping
                  > that extra ribavarinn once a day. I'm sure I will know if that is
                  > working because I've discovered anemia to be almost debilitating.

                  While at this point a little iron probably wouldn't hurt, it really
                  won't help much since this is not iron-deficency anemia, it's
                  hemolytic anemia - red cells being destroyed and an inability to
                  replace them. Factors that can help in the production of blood cells
                  may help some. (Epogen or Procrit would be the best!) Lots of good
                  quality protein (I'd shoot for at least 80 gm per day), extra
                  B-complex vitamins with C and E, and water. You might also try some
                  liquid chlorophyll which is essentially plant blood, and has just
                  about every single ingredient in it which is necessary for your body
                  to efficiently build up it's red cells again. It does contain some
                  iron, but not enough to be harmful, and maybe just enough to be
                  helpful. Also drink lots of water, and don't let anyone put off
                  checking your thyroid since the thyroid hormones seem to affect
                  EVERYTHING in your body in one way or another.

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
                    --- Tatezi <tatezi@...> wrote:
                    > looked back to my last lab and my hemoglobin was at 6...surely that
                    > would have rung some warning bells to a real doctor.
                    Yes, that should have rung LOTS of bells! You must not have a real
                    doctor!

                    > I was unaware of the danger I was in until I came home from County
                    > and did some research...damn, you can die from severe anemia.

                    Yes, you can. This is serious.

                    All they said was that if it gets worse to
                    > page them and go to the emergency room. They didn't even warn me to
                    > watch for chest pains.

                    You have even the slightest twinge GO to the ER ASAP. If your pulse
                    gets over 120 I would go if I were you.

                    > Why they didn't prescribe procrit or epogen...I don't know.

                    Well, #1 is probably that these are very expensive drugs. However,
                    all recent studies say to prescribe one of them before resorting to
                    stopping ribavirin completely. #2 is that it doesn't sound like you
                    have a real doctor! Maybe he doesn't know about those drugs. Really.

                    I think I'd page that doctor and ask him to prescribe either Epogen
                    or Procrit ASAP. Your other doctor could prescribe it but then who
                    will have to pay for it?

                    > Anything else I should avoid to make it through the weekend?

                    Everything that is not necessary! Eat, sleep, rest. Or go to the ER.

                    Keep us posted.

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
                      --- Carol <csean@...> wrote:
                      > Tatezi, I am worried about your rapid heartbeat too.....I had that
                      > when I tried the old combo....in fact, I still have it and am going
                      > to a cardiologist after having an ECG. That's one of the many
                      > reasons I quit the treatment....my heart was racing so fast I
                      > couldn't take my pulse and then I started getting chest pains. I
                      > think it's from the riba rather than the interferon...

                      The elevated pulse is a side effect of anemia. The heart is
                      compensating, having to work harder to move what little oxygen is in
                      the blood supply around the body. It's NOT good.

                      And just for the record, I agree with Anne. I think you really should
                      be in a hospital.

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 10, 2004
                        Hi Claudine....I honestly don't know what we'd do without you. I always know that if you say something, it's the right thing to do....you are wiser than my doc....thank God you're on this forum. Happy Easter to you and all of you....waving towards to Holland at Willem.....don't let Tats know about that ;-)

                        > I've not done any iron...I going to see what happens by dropping
                        > that extra ribavarinn once a day. I'm sure I will know if that is
                        > working because I've discovered anemia to be almost debilitating.

                        While at this point a little iron probably wouldn't hurt, it really
                        won't help much since this is not iron-deficency anemia, it's
                        hemolytic anemia - red cells being destroyed and an inability to
                        replace them. Factors that can help in the production of blood cells
                        may help some. (Epogen or Procrit would be the best!) Lots of good
                        quality protein (I'd shoot for at least 80 gm per day), extra
                        B-complex vitamins with C and E, and water. You might also try some
                        liquid chlorophyll which is essentially plant blood, and has just
                        about every single ingredient in it which is necessary for your body
                        to efficiently build up it's red cells again. It does contain some
                        iron, but not enough to be harmful, and maybe just enough to be
                        helpful. Also drink lots of water, and don't let anyone put off
                        checking your thyroid since the thyroid hormones seem to affect
                        EVERYTHING in your body in one way or another.

                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

                      • Mary Johnson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 11, 2004
                          After doing the treatment for 14 weeks, I took a break because I had lost
                          the hearing in one ear and I wanted to see if it had come back. Besides, I
                          had cleared the virus and even though my doc and everyone else said that it
                          would almost certainly return, I wanted to explore that "almost".
                          Well, my hearing didn't return, but the virus did. When I went off the
                          treatment, my enzymes were completely normal. Now, 2 months later, my ALT is
                          267, AST 136 and even the Gamma GT is elevated.
                          So, I'm going back on the treatment but I am planning on not working this
                          time as I don't think I can face that nightmare again.Does anyone know how
                          long you can have high ALT's before real damage is done? This is the highest
                          they have ever been for me.

                        • land

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 11, 2004
                              In a message dated 4/11/2004 1:19:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              lands142@... writes:
                              Does anyone know how
                              long you can have high ALT's before real damage is done? This is the highest
                              they have ever been for me.
                              Since I aquired this disease through an intravenous shot of nothing but HCV,
                              my situation is somewhat different than yours. That occurred in 1987. Nobody
                              was terribly surprised that my ALT and AST's soared. Since there was
                              zip,zilch, nada for treatment at that point, there wasn't much I could do. I had a
                              liver biopsy in 1995. It really wasn't too bad....minor portal damage...no
                              cirrhosis....bear in mind that I wasn't a heavy drinker. Over the years my lab
                              results have varied. Although I was a non-responder to treatment. The
                              rebetrol ended up doing more damage than anything tried prior to. And yes, I did the
                              hemolytic anemia run, too.......not fun. At any rate, I had a liver biopsy
                              done on the 26th of March, don't have the results, yet, but the ALT's and AST's
                              have been in the normal range for quite some time. Maybe it's all those
                              sweet potato muffins :-). I don't know if this really answers your question, but
                              remember this is a blood borne pathologen, so while your liver is the main
                              filter, it isn't the only one.
                              Hope I helped, some.

                            • Mzgee1@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 11, 2004
                                HI Tat...I was pulled from treatment several times during my 13 months due to
                                anemia. Eventually, I was managed fairly well with Procrit 40,000 units
                                weekly. Are u on it? I remember when the anemia first hit and my counts bottomed
                                out..OMG! I could not get out of bed. It's a terrible feeling..the
                                shortness of breath etc. My doc also had me on Vit A, Folic Acid, Vit E. It took me
                                8 months before I became jundectable, but I've remained that way (at least I
                                still was at my last test last year.) I was never able to take the proper dose
                                of Riba because of the anemia. Anemia is really nothing to fool around
                                with...better to drop the Riba down or altogether, or even to stop treatment for a
                                few weeks than put your body in jeopardy. Hang in there..this too shall
                                pass! magee

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 11, 2004
                                  I'll add my comments to this discussion.

                                  Odd's are, although of course there is no way to know for sure, that I contracted HCV in the late 60s/early 70s. My doctor has always monitored my LFTs because of my past and I've not had any high LFTs. When I told him I wanted tested for HCV, he bet me I didn't have because he always monitored my LFTs and kidney function. Well, I have HCV, he paid up and even though my biopsy was Grade 2, Stage 2 I have yet to have elevated LFTs.

                                  Ofcourse, LFTs are no indication of the virus...they've proven that as time goes by. The only way to know the amount of liver damage is a biopsy and the only way to know the viral load is to do a quantitative RNA or PCR as you will often hear them refered to.

                                  I can't imagine what happened to your hearing. I've never heard of any hearing loss due to treatment or HCV. But just in the last couple months they have been releasing study results that consistent users of vicodin (or hydrocodone, the generic) have been losing their hearing.

                                  And it is true that when you finish treatment, if you aren't a sustained responder, your viral load returns with a venegence.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 11, 2004
                                    Hi McGee...

                                    No, the interns did not prescribe procrit or epogen...this is the problem with using a county facility...the knowledge level is even lower than with MDs.

                                    Had I known then what I now know, I would have made a fuss and demanded one or the other. I never had this problem with the last treatment and I honestly "assumed" it was my thyroid again. I am in constant battle with my thyroid when on treatment.

                                    It is a terrible feeling...and each time I push myself to do one little thing around the house, I end up taking a couple hours nap. I feel helpless and I don't do helpless well.

                                    If County won't do anything tomorrow, I'll go get some accupuncture. I don't know what I'm going to do about work. I'll just have to play that by ear (or breath <g>)

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 11, 2004
                                      I wouldn't worry too much about the high LFT's. They are probably
                                      high now due to the re-infection, similar to what is seen in acute
                                      HCV. Remember, the liver is an amazingly regenerative organ. Just get
                                      back on treatment ASAP. Good luck!
                                      Claudine
                                      PS: Which interferon were you on before? Just a suggestion, but you
                                      might consider doing the other brand this time.

                                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 12, 2004
                                        In a message dated 4/11/2004 8:09:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, csean@...
                                        writes:
                                        Tatezi, I am worried about your rapid heartbeat too.....I had that when I
                                        tried the old combo....in fact, I still have it and am going to a cardiologist
                                        after having an ECG. That's one of the many reasons I quit the treatment....my
                                        heart was racing so fast I couldn't take my pulse and then I started getting
                                        chest pains. I think it's from the riba rather than the interferon....which
                                        could be why they told you to drop a pill. But that's not acceptable in your
                                        case. Try to sleep as much as you can this weekend and go to the hospital
                                        immediately if you get chest pains or your heart is racing. I don't know the
                                        numbers like Claudine does but you're way too low for hemoglobin. I'll feel better
                                        knowing you can get ahold of your doc on Monday....please, do nothing
                                        physical ok?
                                        I agree take it slow. I had that same problem while on treatment, but I put
                                        it off to the fact that I received two air emboli with the same injection that
                                        gave me Hep C. So........

                                      • gailsamples@earthlink.net
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 12, 2004