RE: [GIWorld-Hepatitis]Smoking pot while on treatment

  • cable mom
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
      Sorry Claudine,
      I forgot to thank you for your info too. I had known about it helping
      nausea & appetitie, but, of course, I had forgotten :))

      Pam

      >From: claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>
      >To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: RE: [GIWorld-Hepatitis]Smoking pot while on treatment
      >Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:49:58 -0800 (PST)
      >
      >Hi Pam,
      > I used to have some information on this but I've dug through my
      >files and can't find it. There is (of course) contradictory
      >information, but this is what I remember:
      >Yes, it helps with sleep. It also helps with nausea and poor
      >appetite. And, surprisingly, people who used pot during treatment had
      >a higher response rate than those who did not. Too bad it's illegal.
      >Some people in some states have been prescribed Marinol (think thats
      >the name of it). If I should find my old info I'll post it.
      >Claudine
      >
      >--- cable mom <parend53@...> wrote:
      > > I have a question that maybe people on the list might help me with.
      > > I don't
      > > think I've seen anything about this, but that doesn't mean it
      > > hasn't been
      > > discussed - LOL. My memory is pretty shot.
      > >
      > > A friend of mine started treatment last week. She asked the nurse
      > > if
      > > smoking pot to help her sleep would interfere with treatment. The
      > > nurse got
      > > all bent out of shape and spluttered that it was illegal ending
      > > further
      > > discussion. She asked me, but I haven't had anything to do with
      > > pot since
      > > the 60s except to discuss drug usage with my children when they
      > > were
      > > teenagers. So what do I know?
      > >
      > > Has anyone heard about whether or not pot actually helps with
      > > sleeping and
      > > does it have any effect on treatment? Is it in the same class as
      > > cigaretter
      > > smoking? And what do they say about that and treatment?
      > >
      > > Thanks for any help you can give me.
      > >
      > > Pam in Maine

      >Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.
      >http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

      Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1!
      (Limited-time offer)
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
        In a message dated 4/1/2004 4:11:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        lands142@... writes:
        HI.In Holland you can go to the Doc.and he.ll fill you out a prescribtion for
        pot.The pharmacy has it in stock.The government pays for it.National
        health-scheme.The world upside down (when you smoke it).In the summer Amsterdam is
        crowded with,to name but a few,with young americans,students from the
        midwest,etc.Going first to the anne frankhouse,the vincent van gogh museum and then to
        the coffeeshops to blow.You see them sitting and really going stupid,laughing at
        all kinds of things a normal person would.nt laugh at.They.re so boring and
        stereotype.After they.re being shaking in the coffeeshops they go out stoned in
        the streets where,big red eyes,swaggering and laughing and then ofcourse they
        are getting robbed by the people who are looking for these kind of innocent
        stupid americans and they clean them out from what they hve
        left,pasport,tickets etc.In the summer they hve a special dept. for the americans college boys
        and girls who are being cleaned out in Amsterdam.Yes,yes,yes..you can call your
        mum from here....Don.t talk about pot,I hate it.It.s become,at least in
        Amsterdam,a maffia-related means of making big,big,money.It also gives my beloved
        city a bad name.If I travel abroad and they see I.am from Amsterdam,even at my
        age,I hve to strip,it.s allright when it.s a nice young custom officer but I
        always meet the old bags.I also know many people who are addicted to pot.Po tis
        addictive.Sorry folks that I.am so negative about pot but come here for the
        summer and you might change yr. mind.Stick to Jack Daniels.Love and peace from
        the 70-ties and you know what that means,Willem.
        Dear Willem,

        Thank you for saying that. I was about to write my Motherly lecture on not
        smoking pot. Yes, it is addictive, more so than cigarettes and it's harder on
        your lungs. Marijuana sticks like the gunk it is. I don't like Jack Daniels,
        but if you gave me an order to take one or the other, I'd choose the Daniels
        ahead of the pot. I don't know if it's harder on the liver than alcohol, but I
        do know that drugs in general are. That includes some prescription drugs.

        FYI, I was in Amsterdam in the 70's, briefly. I skipped the "street scene"
        and came home with my passport. Beautiful city, it's a shame it's laws aren't
        stricter.

        Okay, I'm off my soap box.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
          Hi Willem...hmmm, Francina has never mentioned Amsterdam as being that bad....she sure complains about the Hague though.....she has a job at foreign affairs and doesn't have to go through there anymore, Thank God.

          Huggggs and waves across the pond

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
            Hey, who said you could borrow my soap box.....<g>

            Okay, I'm off my soap box.

          • Dawnbeliever@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
              Oh, and I think .. from observation of users of marijuana over a long time
              period.. for whatever reason.. do show.. that it seems to kill some personality
              traits... such as ambition... like that commercial of the older guy still
              living with his mom and no job... just retards your maturation, I believe.

              Had to get my input in on this,
              Dawn

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                In a message dated 4/3/2004 1:58:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                Dawnbeliever@... writes:
                Oh, and I think .. from observation of users of marijuana over a long time
                period.. for whatever reason.. do show.. that it seems to kill some
                personality
                traits... such as ambition... like that commercial of the older guy still
                living with his mom and no job... just retards your maturation, I believe.
                I agree, but I'll add something of a personal experience. A person that I
                know who was a non-cigarette smoker, but a heavy pot smoker for years, died at
                the age of 52 from lung cancer.
                What more can I say? We've got enough problems without adding on any. Plus
                I would think it would take away what little energy any of us have. That I
                don't need.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                  In a message dated 4/2/2004 5:28:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  tatezi@... writes:
                  Hey, who said you could borrow my soap box.....<g>
                  Sorry, I don't do that often :-). How goes the new job?