marijuana and treatment

  • Mark Middle Mountain
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2004
      For some reason I never saved it, and now can't find it, but I remember
      reading a report on methadone users on treatment. the main point of the
      paper was whether to withhold treatment from them, and the part that made it
      into the NIH official position was that they responded at the same rate as
      nonmethadone users, so no reason to withhold treatment. The part that didn't
      make it into the NIH position was that those people using marijuana while
      being treated had a 20% better response to treatment than nonusers. If it
      were not the politically charged marijuana involved, but some pharmacuetical
      company drug that had that response, there would ahve been major followup
      clinical trials. Ribavarin, for instance, is widely used and has a 20%
      increase ascribed to it.

      This study was not in any way conclusive, so no real guideline can be
      derived from it, but......

      Marijuana is illegal and treatment in jail could be stressful.
    • cable mom
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 4:06 AM
        Thank you for your replies which I will pass along to my friend. I knew I
        would get some good information if I asked you guys.

        Mark - This woman has been my friend since 1963 - we met in college - and
        she knows the risks. When she asked the nurse she was just looking for
        answers not trying to light up in the office! I remembered that I read
        somewhere that Queen Victoria used to smoke marijuana for menstrual cramps.

        Carol - If a government is enlightened enough to permit medical use of an
        herb you'd think they could provide something with decent quality! Not to
        mention allowing treatment for persons with low alts.

        Willem - I'm sorry about the Americans who can't hold their pot. My son,
        who teaches English in the Czech Republic was visiting in Belgium 2 years
        ago. They went to a small town in southern Holland (begins with M I think)
        and he bought pot just to say he had. But alcohol is addictive too, and I
        feel that the problem is political. I have read that the reason pot is
        illegal in the states was at least in part due to a strong liquor lobby.
        Remember "Reefer Madness"? A movie put out by the US goverment illustrating
        the horrors of pot smoking. In the 60s people used to get stoned to watch
        it and have a good laugh!

        As for the old bags in immigration, think of it as a charitable act on your
        part! LOL

        Pam in Maine