re. astragalus

  • Pamela Venus
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4 8:16 AM
      Thanks everyone for all the feedback. It was very helpful.

      Love & blessings,

      Pamela Venus

      Love is all there is

      Peace is all there is

      Joy is all there is

      Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om

    • Pamela Venus
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5 7:22 PM
        Tatezi,

        Thanks for all the info. on astragalus! What dosage do you take and for
        what length of time? I read (Dr. Weil) that it can be taken on an ongoing
        basis (unlike echinaccea) to prevent colds/flues and also to treat a cold or
        flu. He said suggested taking a standardized formula. (I know in
        traditional Chinese medicine, the raw herb is recommended and then you boil
        it down to make a tea. I tried that years ago with some blend of herbs that
        were recommended by a local Chinese herbal doctor but couldn't deal with the
        taste). Since I have started taking it-I got over a persistant upper
        respiratory virus and haven't been sick since. I have CFS and am prone to
        upper respiratory virus etc. I have felt so much stronger and better since
        I've been taking it. I hope I can stay on it at least through the winter.
        My husband has Hep C and generally is not prone to colds and flu but had a
        bad upper respiratory virus before the holidays. He is considering taking
        the astragalus because it has helped me so much, but I'm not sure whether he
        should or not after the conflicting info. re. stimulating the immune system
        with Hep C.

        Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:13:55 -0600

        From: "Tatezi" <tatezi@...>

        Subject: Astragalus Root

        Yep, it's me and I'm back, sorta...and undetectable mid treatment. I just
        couldn't sit back while this discussion of astragalus was going on with no
        one really knowing much about it.

        Note: I'm having some problems with my mail client and my font size keeps
        changing. I don't know how it will come through because incoming mail font
        size is messed up too. So bear with any changes in the font.

        Ya'll are talking chinese here and if you want to research a chinese herb,
        it would help to know it's chinese name: tian men dong or more commonly,
        huang qi (commander of blood).

        Chinese herbs are difficult to truly research because of the nature of
        oriental medicine. The balance of yin and yang and the Eight Principals are
        crucial to oriental medicine. Chinese never treat with just one herb...they
        use a combination of herbs along with specific nutrition because an excess
        or stagnation of Qi (blood) requires different herbs dependent on your type
        (hot/dry, hot/moist, windy/dry, etc.). It is a very involved way of treating
        the whole essence.

        For instance, if you were to look astragalus root up in a chinese herb book,
        you would find something like 'indicated for yin deficiency of the lung and
        kidneys when there are signs of false heat because of the yin deficiency.'

        Yeah, right...I follow oriental medicine and don't understand what that is
        telling me.

        With the popularity of chinese herbs in american culture, the western
        herbalists have tried to isolate the exact properties of astragalus and they
        have done a pretty good job.

        Astragalus does strenghen the immune system, supports the lungs and
        strenghens the digestive system, including the liver. By strenghening the
        blood (Qi, pronounced Chi), it strenghens the body's vital energy.

        Here is some information on astragalus root. I've been taking it for many
        years and have no problems with it. With the other two main immune boosters
        (echinacea and Pau de Arco) you can't take them all the time or they lose
        their effectiveness. It's not a new herb...it's a very ancient herb...

        Astragalus, or Huang Qi, as it is sometimes called, is a common component of
        traditional Chinese herbal formulas. It is used by the Chinese to strengthen
        the spleen, blood and liver. The Chinese have used Astragalus for many
        thousands of years as a superior tonic that is often combined with ginseng
        [note: ginseng is not good for those with Hep C and liver disease] for
        replenishing a persons vital energy. The root of this plant is said to
        strengthen the body's surface resistance and is supposed to invigorate and
        promote tissue regeneration. It's also been seen as an immune system
        stimulant as well as a protector of adrenal cortical function. Astragalus
        Root is considered to have a normalizing effect on the body's functions.

        Chinese medicine is very different from the scientific approach we are used
        to. It is based on the promotion of health and does not limit its treatment
        to only one part of the body. Health is represented as a balance of yin and
        yang - two forces that represent the bipolar manifestation of all things in
        nature. In the Oriental medicine a doctor is often paid only when the
        patient is well, not sick. This practice would probably not be greeted with
        enthusiasm by western medical professionals.

        In Traditional Chinese Medicine Astragalus is considered a deep immune tonic
        that increases the "bone marrow reserve", increasing the body's ability to
        produce more immune effector cells (such as T-cells), protecting us from
        "pathogens". Also used as a daily tonic when one is not feeling well; it has
        the ability to build the energy reserves in the body and exhibits several
        anti-stress properties.

        Astragalus is used medicinally in China as an immune strengthener and
        general tonic. In fact, it is one of the best herbs in the world for
        enhancing the protective effects of the immune system. Astragalus incresaes
        the levels of certain immune cells that fight viruses and other microbial
        intruders. Astragalus also stimulates the secretion of a powerful anti-viral
        chemical known as interferon, which prevents viruses from replicating. In
        addition, it has been shown that astragalus has a supportive effect on bone
        marrow, the core of the bones where white blood cells mature. Astragalus
        boosts the levels of anti-bodies in the body.

        It has been used to optimize immune function and as a tonic to build
        stamina. Ancient Chinese texts record the use of astragalus for tonifying
        the spleen, blood and qi (chi). Astragalus builds energy and helps warm up
        the body. It is one of the most important double direction immune modulating
        herbs in the world. Astragalus is said to strengthen the primary energy of
        the body and strengthen all metabolic, respiratory and eliminative
        functions. Tonifies the three burning spaces, increases Qi, overcomes
        weakness, Tonifies the Lungs and Spleen, raises Yang, reduces perspiration,
        facilitates excretion of water and eliminates edema (swelling).

        As an adaptogen, it helps the body regain balance and is the most popular
        herb in Chinese medicine for its tonifying, diuretic, cardiotonic,
        vasodilating and other useful qualities, to help maintain normal functions
        of the liver, lung, kidney, stomach and heart, to boost energy, defer aging,
        detoxify, etc., to bolster white blood cells growth, support the immune
        systems, and to promote the effect of other herbs, and help reduce side
        effect of chemotherapy and radiation.

        In the United States, Astragalus is used to stimulate the immune system when
        treating colds and flu. It improves adrenal gland function and digestion.
        Astragalus produces spontaneous sweating by increasing the metabolism, and
        enhances energy levels and helps protect your body from the effects of
        stress. Although many people take Astragalus at the onset of cold or flu
        symptoms, the Chinese believe taking Huang Qi at that time will cause the
        infection to go deeper. They instead use it while healthy as a defense
        shield against future illnesses.

        One study showed that astragalus increases the production of interferon-an
        important component of the immune system's defensive network. When combined
        with interferon, astragalus root helped promote and maintain respiratory
        health in study group participants. Astragalus also enhances the body's
        production of immunoglobulin and stimulates macrophages. It can help
        activate T cells and natural killer cells. Research shows that astragalus
        has immunostimulatory properties. It increases the number of stem cells in
        bone marrow and lymph tissue and encourages their development into active
        immune cells. It appears that this herb helps trigger immune cells from a
        "resting"state into heightened activity.

        In studies performed at the Nation Cancer Institute and 5 other leading
        American Cancer Institutes over the past 10 years, it has been positively
        shown that Astragalus strengthens a cancer patient's immune system.
        Researchers believed on the basis of cell studies that Astragalus augments
        those white blood cells that fight disease and removes some of those that
        make the body more venerable to it. There is clinical evidence that cancer
        patients given Astragalus during chemotherapy and radiation, both of which
        reduce the body's natural immunity while attacking the cancer, recover
        significantly faster and live longer. It is evident that Astragalus does not
        directly attack cancers themselves, but instead strengthens the body's
        immune system. In these same studies, both in the laboratory and with 572
        patients, it also has been found that Astragalus promotes adrenal cortical
        function, which also is critically diminished in cancer patients. Astragalus
        also ameliorates bone marrow pres! sion and gastrointestinal toxicity caused
        by chemotherapy and radiation.

        Animal studies have shown that Astragalus is effective at controlling
        bacterial infections, stimulating the immune system, and protecting the body
        against a number of toxins. It seems to work by binding to cholesterol on
        the outer membranes of viruses, destabilizing their defenses and allowing
        for the body's immune system to attack the weakened invader. Astragalus also
        increases interferon production and enhances NK and T cell function,
        increasing resistance to viral conditions such as hepatitis, AIDS and
        cancer. Astragalus shows support for peripheral vascular diseases and
        peripheral circulation.

        ***Not to be used when experiencing acute fever. ***

        Love & blessings,

        Pamela Venus

        Love is all there is

        Peace is all there is

        Joy is all there is

        Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6 5:36 PM
          Now that I'm in poor times, I only take 450mg a day, 225am and 225pm...I used to take 450mg in the morning and at night but that was before our wonderful current administration and lays offs and no jobs to apply for. (Jobless recovery...who does he think he's kidding.) Oops, sorry, I try not to get on my soapbox but sometimes words come out my mouth or finger tips like vomit.

          I don't know how many years I've been taking astragalus...long before I knew I had hep c. I don't get colds and have never had the flu (knock on wood). If there is a bug going through the office, I'll add echinacea or Pao de Arco for a while just to give my immune system a little extra boost.

          I don't know of anything that you can't take astragulus root with other than a high fever...and you never take it when running a high fever.

          Yeah, those herb decoctions are pretty awful. I've never taken them because I don't trust the quality or purity of the herbs. Give me a solid name brand in a capsule even if I have to take 10 of them a day.