Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] astragalus

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
      --- Pamela Venus <goddesspv@...> wrote:
      Does anyone have any info. on liver safety of this
      > herb? I
      > did a limited internet search and didn't see anything that
      > indicated that it
      > is unsafe for the liver-but wanted to get more feedback. Thanks,

      I haven't heard of any negative affects of astragalus. I've heard of
      lots people with HCV taking it.

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • Pamela Venus
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2004
        Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like it's safe for Philip to use
        astragalus to boost his immune system to avoid colds/flues. When you have
        heard of people using astragalus by others with Hep C, do you know if it was
        to boost the immune system or to fight the Hep C virus (or both)? If it's
        the latter is there any info. on dosages that you're aware of? The only
        thing I found was on boiling down the raw herb to make a tea and we're
        wanting to use the standardized capsules. Thanks, Pamela

        Pamela Venus <goddesspv@...> wrote:

        Does anyone have any info. on liver safety of this

        > herb? I

        > did a limited internet search and didn't see anything that indicated

        > that it is unsafe for the liver-but wanted to get more feedback.

        > Thanks,

        I haven't heard of any negative affects of astragalus. I've heard of lots
        people with HCV taking it. C

        Astragalus would be an excellent herb to take! I am glad you wrote asking
        about this herb. I have looked it up in several books, and what I have

        found is extremely good. Here are two excerpts from my books

        'Astragalus is widely used in China to rebuild the immune system of people
        undergoing radiation or chemotherapy........ Astragalus may also protect
        bone marrow from the immune-sprressing effects of chemotherapy, radiation,

        toxins and viruses. Two separate studies conducted in China showed that

        astragalus can benefit people with heart disease. The first study revealed
        that if astragalus was taken within 36 hrs. of a heart attack, it could
        bolster the functioning of the heart's left ventricle, the chamber that
        pumps oxygen-rich blood throughout the body. The second study examined
        whether astragalus could lessen chest pain (angina). The herb was compared
        to nifedipine, a prescription medication commonly used to treat this
        condition. The study found that astragalus produced better results than the
        drug......In addition, astragalus widens blood vessels and increases blood
        flow, which makes it useful in controlling excessive perspiration (such as
        night sweats) and lowering blood pressure.' (1 )

        'Astragalus membranaceus increases cardiac output in patients with angina
        pectoris. Astragaloside IV (one of the compounds in Astragalus) improves
        left ventricular end-diastolic volume, left ventricular end-systolic volume
        and slows heart rate in heart failure.... An ethanol extract of the root of
        Astragalus membranaceus alleviated liver injury through a reduction of
        elevated SGPT levels and subacute toxicity..... The herb stimulated
        macrophages, promotes antibody formation, and increased T lymphocyte
        proliferation.' (2)

        (1) Reader's Digest Guide to Drugs and Supplements-Vitamins Minerals &
        Herbs

        ISBN 0-7621-0367-1 (In case any one wants to get this book-highly

        recommended!)

        (2) PDR for Herbal Medicines

        ISBN 1-56363-361-2 (Also highly recommended!)

        Hope you guys find this helpful-I certainly am glad I got curious and looked
        this up.

        gail

        Love & blessings,

        Pamela Venus

        Love is all there is

        Peace is all there is

        Joy is all there is

        Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om

      • Gail Samples
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
          Ii is used to boost the immune system, which then could become more
          effective against the C virus. The only thing I have found in literature
          about its antiviral properties have been against coxsackie B-3 virus (a
          virus that attacks the heart) and possibly HIV-please note that it is only
          thought that it could possibly help against HIV-I did not find anything
          about any trials or research of that nature. You must remember that the HCV
          virus is called a 'survival virus', it is very effective at bypassing our
          immune systems. This herb alone will not be an effective treatment against
          HCV. Possibly in conjuction w/RX, it could help-who knows? I wish someone
          somewhere would do trials using complementary treatments along with RX!
          Anyway here are doses given in PDR for Herbal Medicine- powdered root
          capsule (250-500mg) take two capsules three times daily. Hope this helps.
          Also, a good place for supplements is iHerb.com. Good prices, good
          selection, very fast at shipping.

          gail

> [...]

          pectoris. Astragaloside IV (one of the compounds in Astragalus) improves
          left ventricular end-diastolic volume, left ventricular end-systolic volume
          and slows heart rate in heart failure.... An ethanol extract of the root of
          Astragalus membranaceus alleviated liver injury through a reduction of
          elevated SGPT levels and subacute toxicity..... The herb stimulated
          macrophages, promotes antibody formation, and increased T lymphocyte
          proliferation.' (2)

          (1) Reader's Digest Guide to Drugs and Supplements-Vitamins Minerals &
          Herbs

          ISBN 0-7621-0367-1 (In case any one wants to get this book-highly

          recommended!)

          (2) PDR for Herbal Medicines

          ISBN 1-56363-361-2 (Also highly recommended!)

          Hope you guys find this helpful-I certainly am glad I got curious and looked

          _____

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Sally Hines
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
            Searching iherb for astragalus I found this among the
            others.

            _______
            Hep Support (formerly Hep C), Gaia Herbs, 60 Liquid-Filled
            Capsules
            with Astragalus and Maitake
            Extra Strength
            Liquid Phyto-Caps
            For Deep Liver Support
            100% Vegetarian
            A Dietary Supplement

            Liquid Phyto-Caps - Gaia Herbs' patented technology delivers
            a concentrated full spectrum alcohol-free liquid extract in
            a 100% vegetarian capsule. Now you can have the superior
            bioavailability and fast absorption of a liquid delivery
            system, from certified organic and ecologically wildcrafted
            herbs, in a convenient capsule.

            Suggested Use: Take 1 capsule with a small amount of warm
            water 2 times daily between meals. Not to be used during
            pregnancy or lactation. Keep away from children. Use only as
            directed on label. Safety sealed for your protection. Keep
            bottle capped at all times and store in a cool dry place.
            Natural separation may occur. This does not affect product
            quality.

            Supplement Facts:
            Serving Size 1 Capsule
            Servings Per Container 60

            Amount per 2 capsules
            Calories 18
            Alcohol Free concentrated Extracts Of:
            Astragalus root (Astragalus membranaceous) *** 200 mg †

            Chinese Skullcap root (Scutellaria baicalensis) *** 100
            mg †
            Chinese Bupleurum root (Bupleurum falcatum) *** 60 mg †

            Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) *** 30 mg
            †
            Maitake mushroom (Grifola frondosa) *** 20
            mg †
            Licorice root (Glycyrriza glabra) ***
            20 mg †
            † Daily Value not established.

            Other Ingredients: Vegetable glycerin, vegetable gelatin
            (capsule).

            ***= Untreated Chinese Origin
            Each 2 capsules contain 3,000 mg crude herb equivalent
            Gaia Herbs Liquid Phyto-Caps Patent pending.

            Expiration Date: Approx. 2 years from the date of the
            purchase.

            Brand: Gaia Herbs
            60 Liquid-filled Capsules
            _________

            I'm not promoting it at all, just found it interesting that
            there is a supposed "hep" formula with astragalus available.

            Sally Hines

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
              Do NOT take this formula if you are on treatment! It contains
              Bupleurum root, which interacts with interferon and has caused
              deaths. It is a great Chinese herb if you are NOT on treatment
              though. If you have high blood pressure or portal hypertension you
              should be very cautious with this formula (or just avoid) due to the
              Licorice root.
              Claudine

            • w.m.landstra
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
                HI.THANK YOU CLAUDINE.Oh boy I hve told a friend of mine who has hep C and
                is on treatment about this herb and forwarded all mail reg. this herb to
                him.I told him to be carefull and informed him about the dangers.Willem.
> [...]
                > > 20 mg ?
                > > ? Daily Value not established.
                > >
                > > Other Ingredients: Vegetable glycerin, vegetable gelatin
                > > (capsule).
                > >
                > > ***= Untreated Chinese Origin
                > > Each 2 capsules contain 3,000 mg crude herb equivalent
                > > Gaia Herbs Liquid Phyto-Caps Patent pending.
                > >
                > > Expiration Date: Approx. 2 years from the date of the
                > > purchase.
                > >
                > > Brand: Gaia Herbs
                > > 60 Liquid-filled Capsules
                > > _________
                > >
                > > I'm not promoting it at all, just found it interesting that
                > > there is a supposed "hep" formula with astragalus available.
                > >
                > > Sally Hines

                > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > Deze e-mail is door E-mail VirusScanner van Planet Internet gecontroleerd

              • Sally Hines
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
                  Claudine,

                  Thank you so much for the information and warning.

                  Sally