astragalus

  • Pamela Venus
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
      I have recently started taking astragalus (after reading a recommendation by
      Dr. Weil) to help boost my immune system and avoid colds & flues and have
      felt so much stronger and better. My husband, Philip, has Hep C and early
      stage cirrhosis. He asked me to check out if it is safe for him to take the
      astragalus too. Does anyone have any info. on liver safety of this herb? I
      did a limited internet search and didn't see anything that indicated that it
      is unsafe for the liver-but wanted to get more feedback. Thanks,

      Love & blessings,

      Pamela Venus

      Love is all there is

      Peace is all there is

      Joy is all there is

      Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
        --- Pamela Venus <goddesspv@...> wrote:
        Does anyone have any info. on liver safety of this
        > herb? I
        > did a limited internet search and didn't see anything that
        > indicated that it
        > is unsafe for the liver-but wanted to get more feedback. Thanks,

        I haven't heard of any negative affects of astragalus. I've heard of
        lots people with HCV taking it.

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • Pamela Venus
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2004
          Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like it's safe for Philip to use
          astragalus to boost his immune system to avoid colds/flues. When you have
          heard of people using astragalus by others with Hep C, do you know if it was
          to boost the immune system or to fight the Hep C virus (or both)? If it's
          the latter is there any info. on dosages that you're aware of? The only
          thing I found was on boiling down the raw herb to make a tea and we're
          wanting to use the standardized capsules. Thanks, Pamela

          Pamela Venus <goddesspv@...> wrote:

          Does anyone have any info. on liver safety of this

          > herb? I

          > did a limited internet search and didn't see anything that indicated

          > that it is unsafe for the liver-but wanted to get more feedback.

          > Thanks,

          I haven't heard of any negative affects of astragalus. I've heard of lots
          people with HCV taking it. C

          Astragalus would be an excellent herb to take! I am glad you wrote asking
          about this herb. I have looked it up in several books, and what I have

          found is extremely good. Here are two excerpts from my books

          'Astragalus is widely used in China to rebuild the immune system of people
          undergoing radiation or chemotherapy........ Astragalus may also protect
          bone marrow from the immune-sprressing effects of chemotherapy, radiation,

          toxins and viruses. Two separate studies conducted in China showed that

          astragalus can benefit people with heart disease. The first study revealed
          that if astragalus was taken within 36 hrs. of a heart attack, it could
          bolster the functioning of the heart's left ventricle, the chamber that
          pumps oxygen-rich blood throughout the body. The second study examined
          whether astragalus could lessen chest pain (angina). The herb was compared
          to nifedipine, a prescription medication commonly used to treat this
          condition. The study found that astragalus produced better results than the
          drug......In addition, astragalus widens blood vessels and increases blood
          flow, which makes it useful in controlling excessive perspiration (such as
          night sweats) and lowering blood pressure.' (1 )

          'Astragalus membranaceus increases cardiac output in patients with angina
          pectoris. Astragaloside IV (one of the compounds in Astragalus) improves
          left ventricular end-diastolic volume, left ventricular end-systolic volume
          and slows heart rate in heart failure.... An ethanol extract of the root of
          Astragalus membranaceus alleviated liver injury through a reduction of
          elevated SGPT levels and subacute toxicity..... The herb stimulated
          macrophages, promotes antibody formation, and increased T lymphocyte
          proliferation.' (2)

          (1) Reader's Digest Guide to Drugs and Supplements-Vitamins Minerals &
          Herbs

          ISBN 0-7621-0367-1 (In case any one wants to get this book-highly

          recommended!)

          (2) PDR for Herbal Medicines

          ISBN 1-56363-361-2 (Also highly recommended!)

          Hope you guys find this helpful-I certainly am glad I got curious and looked
          this up.

          gail

          Love & blessings,

          Pamela Venus

          Love is all there is

          Peace is all there is

          Joy is all there is

          Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om

        • Gail Samples
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
            Ii is used to boost the immune system, which then could become more
            effective against the C virus. The only thing I have found in literature
            about its antiviral properties have been against coxsackie B-3 virus (a
            virus that attacks the heart) and possibly HIV-please note that it is only
            thought that it could possibly help against HIV-I did not find anything
            about any trials or research of that nature. You must remember that the HCV
            virus is called a 'survival virus', it is very effective at bypassing our
            immune systems. This herb alone will not be an effective treatment against
            HCV. Possibly in conjuction w/RX, it could help-who knows? I wish someone
            somewhere would do trials using complementary treatments along with RX!
            Anyway here are doses given in PDR for Herbal Medicine- powdered root
            capsule (250-500mg) take two capsules three times daily. Hope this helps.
            Also, a good place for supplements is iHerb.com. Good prices, good
            selection, very fast at shipping.

            gail

> [...]

            pectoris. Astragaloside IV (one of the compounds in Astragalus) improves
            left ventricular end-diastolic volume, left ventricular end-systolic volume
            and slows heart rate in heart failure.... An ethanol extract of the root of
            Astragalus membranaceus alleviated liver injury through a reduction of
            elevated SGPT levels and subacute toxicity..... The herb stimulated
            macrophages, promotes antibody formation, and increased T lymphocyte
            proliferation.' (2)

            (1) Reader's Digest Guide to Drugs and Supplements-Vitamins Minerals &
            Herbs

            ISBN 0-7621-0367-1 (In case any one wants to get this book-highly

            recommended!)

            (2) PDR for Herbal Medicines

            ISBN 1-56363-361-2 (Also highly recommended!)

            Hope you guys find this helpful-I certainly am glad I got curious and looked

            _____

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Sally Hines
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
              Searching iherb for astragalus I found this among the
              others.

              _______
              Hep Support (formerly Hep C), Gaia Herbs, 60 Liquid-Filled
              Capsules
              with Astragalus and Maitake
              Extra Strength
              Liquid Phyto-Caps
              For Deep Liver Support
              100% Vegetarian
              A Dietary Supplement

              Liquid Phyto-Caps - Gaia Herbs' patented technology delivers
              a concentrated full spectrum alcohol-free liquid extract in
              a 100% vegetarian capsule. Now you can have the superior
              bioavailability and fast absorption of a liquid delivery
              system, from certified organic and ecologically wildcrafted
              herbs, in a convenient capsule.

              Suggested Use: Take 1 capsule with a small amount of warm
              water 2 times daily between meals. Not to be used during
              pregnancy or lactation. Keep away from children. Use only as
              directed on label. Safety sealed for your protection. Keep
              bottle capped at all times and store in a cool dry place.
              Natural separation may occur. This does not affect product
              quality.

              Supplement Facts:
              Serving Size 1 Capsule
              Servings Per Container 60

              Amount per 2 capsules
              Calories 18
              Alcohol Free concentrated Extracts Of:
              Astragalus root (Astragalus membranaceous) *** 200 mg †

              Chinese Skullcap root (Scutellaria baicalensis) *** 100
              mg †
              Chinese Bupleurum root (Bupleurum falcatum) *** 60 mg †

              Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) *** 30 mg
              †
              Maitake mushroom (Grifola frondosa) *** 20
              mg †
              Licorice root (Glycyrriza glabra) ***
              20 mg †
              † Daily Value not established.

              Other Ingredients: Vegetable glycerin, vegetable gelatin
              (capsule).

              ***= Untreated Chinese Origin
              Each 2 capsules contain 3,000 mg crude herb equivalent
              Gaia Herbs Liquid Phyto-Caps Patent pending.

              Expiration Date: Approx. 2 years from the date of the
              purchase.

              Brand: Gaia Herbs
              60 Liquid-filled Capsules
              _________

              I'm not promoting it at all, just found it interesting that
              there is a supposed "hep" formula with astragalus available.

              Sally Hines

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
                Do NOT take this formula if you are on treatment! It contains
                Bupleurum root, which interacts with interferon and has caused
                deaths. It is a great Chinese herb if you are NOT on treatment
                though. If you have high blood pressure or portal hypertension you
                should be very cautious with this formula (or just avoid) due to the
                Licorice root.
                Claudine

              • w.m.landstra
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
                  HI.THANK YOU CLAUDINE.Oh boy I hve told a friend of mine who has hep C and
                  is on treatment about this herb and forwarded all mail reg. this herb to
                  him.I told him to be carefull and informed him about the dangers.Willem.
> [...]
                  > > 20 mg ?
                  > > ? Daily Value not established.
                  > >
                  > > Other Ingredients: Vegetable glycerin, vegetable gelatin
                  > > (capsule).
                  > >
                  > > ***= Untreated Chinese Origin
                  > > Each 2 capsules contain 3,000 mg crude herb equivalent
                  > > Gaia Herbs Liquid Phyto-Caps Patent pending.
                  > >
                  > > Expiration Date: Approx. 2 years from the date of the
                  > > purchase.
                  > >
                  > > Brand: Gaia Herbs
                  > > 60 Liquid-filled Capsules
                  > > _________
                  > >
                  > > I'm not promoting it at all, just found it interesting that
                  > > there is a supposed "hep" formula with astragalus available.
                  > >
                  > > Sally Hines

                  > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  > Deze e-mail is door E-mail VirusScanner van Planet Internet gecontroleerd

                • Sally Hines
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
                    Claudine,

                    Thank you so much for the information and warning.

                    Sally