inf/riba after malignant hematoncology

  • Alley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2004
      (now my curiousity is aroused and I'm looking for instances of using riba after malignant cancers and which ones etc. I'll share what I find. tho I may not understand what I find lol. .. Alley)
      ----------------------
      Interferon plus ribavirin may benefit pediatric cancer survivors with
      HCV infection
      5th October, 2000
      Pediatrics 2000;106:e53 -

      WESTPORT, CT (Reuters Health) - Results of a pilot study suggest that, like
      adults infected with hepatitis C virus (HCV), children with chronic HCV
      infection after cure of malignancy may benefit from combination therapy with
      recombinant interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha) and ribavirin. Dr. Herwig Lackner
      and a team from Karl-Franzens-University, Graz, Austria, report the finding
      in the October Pediatrics electronic pages.
      Dr. Lackner and colleagues treated 12 such children with recombinant
      IFN-alpha and ribavirin for 12 months, using a regimen similar to that often
      used in adults. The children had ranged in age from 0.1 to 14.7 years at the
      time of diagnosis of the underlying disease.

      The investigators report that half of the patients achieved a sustained
      response, defined as undetectable HCV RNA levels for more than 1 year after
      completion of combination therapy. "This response rate is of note," the
      authors write, "because all patients were survivors of previous malignant
      hematooncologic diseases and all patients had HCV genotype 1, factors
      usually predicting a poor response to IFN treatment."

      Treatment-related side effects were "moderate and reversible," according to
      the authors. All patients experienced a decrease in blood counts and all
      developed flu-like symptoms. In three of the 12 patients the interferon dose
      had to be lowered by 10%.

      Dr. Lackner and colleagues say that the results are "encouraging" and should
      prompt further study. But it is noteworthy, they point out, that 50% of
      patients did not respond to combination IFN-alpha/ ribavirin therapy.
      "Whether these patients will respond to higher doses or longer courses of
      treatment or new antiviral drug combinations needs to be investigated."

      Sheree Martin mailto:martins@...
      Co-Owner Hep B Info & Support List:
      www.geocities.com/Mamablondie/hblist.html
      Hep B Archives: http://dispatch.mail-list.com/archives/hbv_research/