My Introduction

  • Sally Hines
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2004
      Thank you all for the wonderful welcomes. It looks like this
      list may replace the wonderful list I was on since
      diagnosis, in 1996. I finally had to leave that list as it
      was no longer support for me.

      In addition to the HCV diagnosis in 1996 I was diagnosed
      with Diabetes 2. Because of a biopsy that showed early
      cirrhosis at that time I was put onto Insulin therapy for
      the DM2.

      As mentioned above I was diagnosed with HCV in 1996. I was
      diagnosed non-a non-b in 1988. Elevated lft's were found in
      1975. My gall bladder was removed in 1969. I was severely
      anemic in 1954, and got my blood tested in the doctor office
      weekly. The nurse did the entire test herself, from lancing
      my finger to reading the slide. She used used lancets, that
      she kept in a dish of alcohol. They were dull, and hurt like
      the devil when she poked me with them. I had liver
      discomfort and "flu" from that time, with few respites.

      I'm a 55 year old grandmother, and all my children and
      grandchildren have been tested, just to be sure. All
      negative. I'm very thankful for that.

      Back in my young and dumb years I did some IVDU. Big
      mistake, I know. I could have gotten the virus then, but
      since my symptoms preceed that time, I fear its more likely
      that I was a contributor. But who knows by this time.

      At any rate, I did combo therapy in 1998/99, responded
      during therapy, and relapsed immediately after, if not
      before. I had to move from the town I lived in, and take
      another job in another city to get the chance to receive
      treatment. Doctors in my home town, where I was diagnosed,
      refused to offer me treatment of any kind.

      The way I did combo was to use Infergen three times a week,
      and through a non-profit in New York City I got imported
      Ribavirin from Mexico. I strongly believe that the Riba I
      took then was superior to the Riba I finished my "combo"
      with. I got donated left over Riba from the Intron that was
      just starting to be dispensed. I know the blister packs for
      the US dispensed drugs were very "old fashioned" blister
      packs, with unperforated cardboard backing and very tough
      plastic blisters. I hadn't seen this type of packaging for
      20 years before that. The blister packs I got from Mexico
      were foil backed, and softer plastic blisters, no problem at
      all getting the capsules out of the package. I was negative
      all during using the Mexican drug. The only test I had after
      my switch was the US drug was 2 weeks after stopping the
      treatment. I was positive again by then, and by high
      numbers.

      During treatment I got horribly depressed <no surprise> and
      was put on Prozac. I thought it helped. A previously
      existing sleep disorder, severe sleep apnea, was diagnosed,
      and I started using a CPAP machine to get sleep at night.
      Even with that I was exhausted. I was short of breath. I
      could barely climb the flight of stairs to my apartment. I
      had horrible migraines, and got mouth sores, blisters all
      over inside my mouth. My hair fell out, and it was never
      very thick and full. My response to insulin changed during
      treatment. I needed considerably less. I couldn't make it to
      work, and finally, 9 months into treatment I had to take
      disability leave.

      Treatment ended in the fall of 99 and am still suffering the
      migraines, exhustion, and general "flu" symptoms most days.
      My hair grew back, thicker than it had ever been. And it
      grew back wavy, previously it had been limp as a wet
      dishrag. I started a new job after Christmas, was out of
      work for over 2 years, and now my hair is falling out again.
      My throat is sore, my muscles and joints ache. I'm
      exhausted, can't get enough sleep. If I can get health
      insurance again I bet my viral load will be high again.

      I learned a lot on the list I was on before. I've been
      looking for the level of information and medical related
      hepatitis discussion that was once there for some time. This
      list looks like it may be as good, or perhaps even better.

      Again, thanks for the welcomes.

      Sally Hines
      Shines@...
      HCV, DM2, early cirrhosis, hypothyroid, high blood pressure
      (controlled), sleep apnea, visual migraine, migraine, severe
      edema.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2004
        Hi Sally,
        You have sure been hit with your share of problems, but you also
        sound like you have pretty much taken charge, which is a good thing.
        Have you been screened for autoimmune disorders?
        We used to have someone else in this group who had a similar
        weird hair thing happen while she was on treatment. If I am
        remembering right, she had curly hair and woke up one morning with it
        all straight. Crazy!

        Good luck,

      • w.m.landstra

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2004
            ((((((((((Sally))))))))))) Thanks for sharing that and for giving us your
            experience and a look into your life. (You've been through so much). You
            mentioned that your hair is falling out again, and that made me remember that my
            hair (prior to diagnosis) seemed to be "falling out" (I was getting noticably
            "thin"). I remember complaining to my GYN doc several years ago about
            feeling so tired, about having night sweats, about having no sex drive anymore, and
            about my hair getting thin. He commented "it might mean you're
            pre-menopausal". (Yeah right - blame it on being premenopausal -- LOL! ) Since having
            been diagnosed, I look back at those times I felt was having weird symptoms
            and complaints, and now -- I attribute ALL of those "weird symptoms"
            (exhaustion, rashes, tingling sensations, sleeplessness, hair thinning, etc.) to the
            natural interferon my body was apparently producing when my viral load was
            apparently "going up". And yes.... (at least in my opinion), I will have to agree
            with you -- that your feeling poorly again and you hair thinning again
            probably does mean your viral load is up. It's frustrating feeling "OK" one month
            (or for several months) and to then "crash" again. In my case (over the
            past five or six years) it seems I have "come and gone" with my energy level.
            I think it ALL has to do with the fact that the symptoms of chronic Hep C seem
            to "wax and wane" (come and go). We might feel OK one month and feel like
            pure poo pa doo the next. And the treatment surely brings about further
            complications with other "systems" for many who go through the treatment. It's
            like "trading this for that" (get rid of the virus but take on other illnesses
            to do so).

            You hang in there. You're a fighter!

            Julie

          • Alley
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2004
              Dear Willem, I can mail you some straight blonde hair... for a price. Email privately for cost.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2004
                --- "w.m.landstra" <lands142@...> wrote:
                > Dear Madam.With interest I read yr message about someone with curly
                > hair who woke up the nxt morning with straight hair.I.am a coloured
                > man from jamaica and very much would like to know more about

                I guess it was the magic interferon.... your hair should be very
                straight by now!

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 16, 2004
                  --- Alley <alleypat@...> wrote:
                  > Dear Willem, I can mail you some straight blonde hair... for a
                  > price. Email privately for cost.

                  It's probably a good deal Willem - I doubt if Alley would charge you
                  as much as the interferon costs. (of course, insurance may not cover
                  blonde hair.)