Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Persistently Abnormal Liver Function Tests May Be Mar...

  • jtwagers7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2004
      Interesting indeed. In my case, I had totally normal labs, including
      normal LFT's, for the three years I complained of "feeling like crap". I had CBC's
      done, thyroid panel done, lupus panel done (all normal), and then (when I
      broke out in a rash on my chest area and thought I had lupus and went to the
      doc), that's when my LFT's were mildly elevated, and that's when they did a Hep C
      panel (positive), and that's when my biopsy showed Grade 3 / Stage 2. So, I
      was one sitting on THAT side of the fence (normal labs and LFT's which would
      indicate to the docs that I was "OK". (But I wasn't OK).

      It's very interesting to now know, also, that the exact opposite can be true
      too. (abnormal LFTs yet no sign of the virus in the blood). Hep C is a
      complicated little devil, ain't it?

      Julie

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2004
        --- jtwagers7@... wrote:
        > It's very interesting to now know, also, that the exact opposite
        > can be true
        > too. (abnormal LFTs yet no sign of the virus in the blood). Hep
        > C is a
        > complicated little devil, ain't it?

        The virus is there, but the antibodies are not, and it is the
        antibodies which are the markers detected in the routine hepatitis
        panel. Usually, virus is only looked for if the antibody screening
        test is positive. Which mean ulitmately that if no antibodies to HCV
        are present, no one is looking for it, when it's possible that HCV is
        present.