RE: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Digest Number 1392

  • Gail Samples
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2004
      Hello ALL newcomers!

      I don't know much about fatty liver, except that lecithin is a very good
      dietary supplement to take for that. It is an emulsifier and helps the
      liver digest fats. Lecithin contains phosphatidylcholine, which the body
      breaks down into the B vitamin choline, another nutrient that helps the
      liver process fats. Again, this helps prevent fat build-up in the liver.
      Possible sides: High doses of lecithin/choline can cause sweating, nausea,
      bloating, and diarrhea (I can vouch for that side!) Doses of 10grams a day
      of choline can cause heart rhythm problems and make you smell like a fish
      (!?); high levels of acetylcholine can worsen the depressive stage of
      bipolar disorder- these are from Reader's Digest Guide to Drugs and
      Supplements. This is a good, cheap book on supplements, giving proper
      dosages, sides, drug interactions, etc.

      Anyway-I hope you stay negative and attain the coveted status of SR!

      gail

      From: "Alley"
      2. I'm kind of confused, but that's nothing new - LOL
      From: "Julie"
      3. RE: I'm kind of confused, but that's nothing new - LOL
      From: Gail Samples
      4. "TRUE" AMBER ALERT-(Virus Screened)-Child Missing-Pass it on! Marty
      From: 2byteme@...
      5. Re: I'm kind of confused, but that's nothing new - LOL
      From: "w.m.landstra"
      6. Re: Amber Alert with Photo. Sorry for the problems with the last one, it
      did not post. Marty
      From: 2byteme@...
      7. Treatment considerations in patients with hepatitis C and cirrhosis
      From: claudine intexas
      8. Re: I'm kind of confused, but that's nothing new - LOL
      From: claudine intexas
      9. Re: Re: Amber Alert with Photo. Sorry for the problems with the last one,
      it did not post. Marty
      From: "Connie Ray"

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:45:22 -0600
      From: "Alley"
      Subject: Kemin Pharma Developing Two New Molecules That Appear Promising in
      the Battle A

      Kemin Pharma Developing Two New Molecules That Appear Promising in the
      Battle Against Hepatitis C
      Monday January 12, 4:53 pm ET

      HERENTALS, Belgium, Jan. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Kemin Pharma has identified two
      different molecules that appear to have very good biological effects against
      the hepatitis C virus (HCV). The first of these molecules is already being
      tested in Phase II clinical trials. Kemin Pharma discovered molecule
      KPE02003002, a synthetic derivative of a phytochemical with several chiral
      centers, in October 2002, through a collaborative effort with the National
      Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and the Rega Institute for
      Medical Research in Leuven, Belgium. The second molecule, KPE00001113, was
      discovered in 2003 as part of the same collaborative, in vitro, antiviral
      screening program.

      http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040112/dam050_1.html
      <http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040112/dam050_1.html>

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:33:20 -0000
      From: "Julie"
      Subject: I'm kind of confused, but that's nothing new - LOL

      Hi Everyone. I haven't used this forum before, but I must have
      signed up to be a member because I'm getting emails from this group
      now (I'm GLAD to be).

      I am hoping this note (my first here) will post, and I'll get used to
      using this support forum, too. I've got chronic Hep C, have had it
      for about 27 years, began treatment in Oct 2003 but didn't do well
      due to rapid drop in wbc's and platelets (but not low enough to start
      Neupogen). Since there was a risk of overwhelming infection due
      to "underlying peridontal disease" that flared up two weeks into Hep
      C treatment, my GI doc decided to stop treatment "temporarily", get
      my peridontal disease treated, and then attempt treatment again.

      I went under the care of a periodontist in November and had my
      periodontal disease (which was termed "silent" peridontal disease)
      treated. I have since begun feeling 100% better, and although I want
      to try the Hep C treatment again (Pegasys / Copegus combo), I'm
      still undecided if I want to go through it again.

      Anyhow.... I look forward to being a part of this group! Good luck
      and hugs to everyone.

      Julie

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:24:29 -0500
      From: Gail Samples
      Subject: RE: I'm kind of confused, but that's nothing new - LOL

      Hi Julie. I understand why you're hesitant to go with treatment again if
      you feel so much better. Have you had a liver biopsy? This is really the
      landmark to go by when considering treatment. If your biopsy shows little
      damage, then you can drag your feet in regards to treatment. If it shows
      damage-moderate to severe, then you should consider treatment-even if you
      don't respond, treatment will slow progression of liver damage, even help it
      heal during the treatment. Some doctors will prescribe low dose, long term
      interferon treatment for that purpose only. Either way you go-you will be
      mostly supported here-we have all agreed to disagree now and then.

      gail

[...]

      web/S=1705061698:HM/EXP=1074101609/A=1750744/R=0/*
      http://servedby.advertisin <http://servedby.advertisin>
      g.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1074015209110514> Click to learn more...

      l/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=718299526>

      _____

      .

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:37:59 -0500
      From: 2byteme@...
      Subject: "TRUE" AMBER ALERT-(Virus Screened)-Child Missing-Pass it on! Marty

      Maybe if every one passes this on someone will see this child, that is
      how the girl from Stevens Point was found by circulation of her picture
      on tv. The internet circulates even overseas South America, and Canada
      etc. Thanks

      We have a store manager (Wal-Mart) from Longs, SC who has a 9 year old
      daughter who has been missing for 2 weeks. Keep the picture moving on.
      With luck on her side she will be found.
      I am asking you all, begging you to please forward this email
      on to anyone and everyone you know, PLEASE. My 9 year old girl, Penny
      Brown, is missing. She has been missing for now two weeks..
      It is still not too late. Please help us. If anyone anywhere knows
      anything, please contact me at: zicozicozico@...

      I am including a picture of her. All prayers are appreciated!! It only
      takes 2 seconds to forward this on. If it was your child,
      you would want all the help you could get. Thank you for your kindness.

      Message: 5
      Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:48:26 +0100
      From: "w.m.landstra"

      HI.Welcome to the group Julie.You.ll find a lot of support and knowledge
      here,frome novices to old troopers,from Canada to Holland.Good Luck,Willem.

      Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:24:19 -0500
      From: 2byteme@...
      Subject: Re: Amber Alert with Photo. Sorry for the problems with the last
      one, it did not post. Marty

[...]

      Message: 7
      Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:10:23 -0800 (PST)
      From: claudine intexas
      Subject: Treatment considerations in patients with hepatitis C and cirrhosis

      NATAP - www.natap.org

      Treatment considerations in patients with hepatitis C and cirrhosis

      All NATAP reports are posted & archived at NATAP website

      J Clin Gastroenterol. 2003 Nov-Dec;37(5):395-8.
      E Jenny Heathcote
      University Health Network, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto,
      Ontario, Canada.

      ABSTRACT
      Patients with cirrhosis due to hepatitis C have a high chance of
      dying from progressive liver disease and thus have much to gain from
      successful antiviral therapy.

      The highest sustained virologic responses in patients with cirrhosis
      have been achieved using pegylated interferon alfa plus Ribavirin;
      43% or more remain with undetectable virus 6 months after the
      cessation of 48 weeks of treatment.

      In those who achieve a sustained virologic response, the degree of
      fibrosis is less as judged on post-treatment liver biopsy; cirrhosis
      may even regress. In those individuals with cirrhosis who achieve a
      sustained virologic response, the risk of developing hepatocellular
      carcinoma is significantly reduced and it is likely that their chance
      of developing liver failure is less.

      Patients who do not achieve sustained virologic response can still
      show histologic improvement as demonstrated on liver biopsy
      post-therapy as compared to baseline.

      Patients with compensated cirrhosis can benefit from therapy while
      those who are decompensated are prone to more safety issues. Thus,
      individuals with any evidence of hepatic decompensation should
      generally not be given interferon-based antiviral therapy, but
      treatment should be encouraged for those whose status is Child Class
      A.

      BACKGROUND

      Successful antiviral therapy in patients with cirrhosis due to
      hepatitis C is potentially lifesaving, but those with cirrhosis are
      unfortunately a "difficult to treat" patient population. They are
      difficult to treat because not infrequently they have
      contraindications to current anti viral therapies, have a high side
      effect profile, and a lower rate of sustained virologic response to
      interferon (IFN)-based treatment compared with those without
      cirrhosis. Liver biopsy plays a vital role in the pre treatment
      assessment of liver disease severity. Without liver biopsy, the
      presence of underlying cirrhosis will often go unrecognized.

      CONTRAINDICATIONS TO ANTI-VIRAL THERAPY IN CIRRHOSIS CAUSED BY
      HEPATITIS C

      Peripheral Blood Count

      Cirrhosis gives rise to portal hypertension that is frequently
      complicated by features of hypersplenism, specifically
      thrombocytopenia with or without leukopenia. Although
      thrombocytopenia may on occasion be immune-mediated in individuals
      with hepatitis C, it is most often a manifestation of hypersplenism.
      It is, however, extremely unusual for the platelet count to fall
      (with or without antiviral therapy) to such an extent that it
      promotes a bleeding disorder, although easy bruising and gum bleeding
      (often promoted by periodontal gum disease) complications may occur.
      Spontaneous episodes of septicemia are well-recognized in patients
      with cirrhosis. Such events are thought most often to be secondary to
      intra- and extrahepatic shunting of bacteria delivered to the liver
      via the portal vein. Although the precise role of leucopenia in
      promoting episodes of spontaneous sepsis in patients with cirrhosis
      remains undefined, IFN has a known bone marrow-suppressive effect and
      could produce a severe enough neutropenia to put the patient in
      danger. It is for these reasons that guidelines with regards to
      minimal acceptable numbers of circulating absolute neutrophils and
      platelets have been proposed. Most industry-initiated studies have
      prohibited the start of anti viral therapy in patients with cirrhosis
      with a platelet count of less than 70 x 106/mL or an absolute
      neutrophil count of less than 1.5 x 106/mL. In addition, guidelines
      recommending dose reduction and possible treatment discontinuation if
      the platelet count falls below 50 x 106/mL or the absolute neutrophil
      count falls to less than 0.5 x 106/mL. These guidelines have not been
      formally validated.

      Hepatic Decompensation

      Although the data are scant, there is good evidence that IFN-based
      therapy is inadvisable in individuals with decompensated cirrhosis
      due to hepatitis C.1 Early complications, mostly due to sepsis have
      been described and such individuals generally tolerate the treatment
      poorly. In addition, treatment may promote hepatic decompensation.

      Tolerance of Antiviral Therapy in Patients With Cirrhosis

      Intolerance, particularly due to neuropsychiatric side effect of IFN
      therapy, has been best described in individuals with cirrhosis due to
      hepatitis B.2 All forms of IFN therapy may be associated with a wide
      array of neuropsychiatric side effects. Although never formally
      examined, it is possible that anti viral therapy in cirrhotics could
      accentuate subclinical hepatic encephalopathy. The latter, depending
      on the method of assessment has been reported to be common in
      otherwise asymptomatic individuals with cirrhosis.3 Recent
      information suggests that individuals infected with hepatitis C virus
      (HCV), even in the absence of underlying cirrhosis, have significant
      neuropsychiatric deficiencies, particularly in the field of
      cognition.4, 5 It possible that this may in part explain the poor
      tolerance of IFN by individuals with hepatitis C.

      Efficacy of Anti Viral Efficacy in Cirrhosis caused by Hepatitis C

      Sustained Virologic Response

      The early studies using standard IFN monotherapy showed disappointing
      results in patients with cirrhosis.6 When the data from 6 European
      trials were pooled, the likelihood of a sustained virologic response
      (undetectable HCV RNA 6 months after completing therapy) was
      negligible in treatment-naive individuals with cirrhosis infected
      with HCV genotype 1. The response rates were somewhat improved once
      the combination of IFN alfa 2b plus ribavirin was introduced.
      Sustained virologic responses were reported in as many as 20% of
      patients with cirrhosis infected with HCV genotype 2 or 3.7

      Early studies with peginterferon alfa-2a (40KD) (PEGASYS) indicated
      that this long-acting form of IFN, even when given as monotherapy,
      markedly enhanced the sustained virologic response in individuals
      with cirrhosis or bridging fibrosis. In one study that recruited only
      patients with cirrhosis or bridging fibrosis, the overall sustained
      virologic response was 30% when peginterferon alfa-2a 180 [million
      units]g was given once weekly for 48 weeks. This represented a marked
      improvement over the 8% rate achieved with unpegylated IFN alfa-2a.8
      Efficacy was poorest in those infected with HCV genotype 1 (sustained
      virologic response of 12%), whereas in those with HCV genotype non-1
      infections, the sustained virologic response was 51%.

      In a large, randomized study, Pegylated IFN alfa-2b 1.5 [million

      === message truncated ===

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cm8dtgd/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroup
      web/S=1705061698:HM/EXP=1074171831/A=1945637/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def
      ault?mqso=60178397&partid=4116732> click here

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
      l/S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=226114000>

      _____

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Alley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2004
        Howdy Mick! Welcome to the list :) I went undetecteded while on
        treatment too, but relapsed at the 6 mo post pcr. I'm genotype 1b.
        Good luck on this round!