Thank You All

  • Mscue40@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2004
      Hi Everyone,
      I want to thank Gene, Micky Willem, Carol and the Dr. for your quick replies,
      advise and well wishes.
      My boyfriend and son were here from Norway for Christmas so I tried not to
      think about it all much. The only ones I have told are you all.
      The Dr. treating me had thought I had beat the dragon too but ... he
      mentioned to me about getting on a clinical trial.
      The clinical trial director called yesterday about a trial doing the exact
      same treatment I had taken for 48 weeks Sherling-Plough peglated interferon
      alpha 2b and ribavirin on a weight based dose. If after 12 weeks I clear the
      virus I would continue for a year. If I didn't clear I would or would not continue
      on a low dose interferon for 3 years I believe is what she said. Since it is
      a study I guess some get the small dose and some don't.
      The Dr. will call back Wednesday after hearing from the clinical director
      about what trial study she found I was eligible for.
      I am confused and curious about my options.
      What treatment would a Dr. prescribe for me to take outside of the clinical
      trial?
      How long will my liver last without treatment?
      How would my body take treatment again?
      How could I support myself without working on treatment?
      Which is the better alternative for my family? Put my 12 year old through
      another year of me on treatment or just let it go and continue on living a
      normal life like we are now.
      Mickey you have made it..you will feel so much better once off treatment. It
      is just around the corner.
      Gene, how is your salon business going?
      Updates on everyone will be nice to hear.
      Your Friend Donna who wishes she didn't have to make any decisions right now.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2004
        Hi Donna

        I really feel for you having to make all these decisions in such a short amount of time. How bad is you liver? What did your last biopsy show? If you've said it before, welllll you know about brain fog....fogging up here. Until I know that, I can't make an informed opinion for you...which, remember, would only be my opinion. Hang in sweetie and get back to us ok?

        Hugggs

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2004
          Donna-

          I am really sorry to read of the bad news. It is a real big let-down to go
          through treatment and then relapse. A doctor could prescribe Roche's
          pegylated interferon-which is different than Schering's plus Ribavirin.
          Also, Amgen is working on a pegylated version of Infergen-which is a real
          ass kicker-but actually, the original non-pegylated Infergen at this time is
          the only 'FDA approved' treatement for relapsers. I don't know what shape
          your liver is in, but the time on treatment will have allowed it to heal a
          bit. Your reaction to a second round of treatment will depend on what
          treatment you get, dosage, which interferon you take, etc. My belief is
          that any treatment after relapsing must be stronger than the original
          treatment or it will not work. It doesn't sound like the trial you
          mentioned here will be effective. Again, I am sorry to hear of your
          relapse. My guess would be to give yourself some time to let things sink in
          before making a decision about re-treatment.

          gail

          _____

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • GWhel@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2004
            Hi Donna,

            I failed Interferon twice, and then combo with Ribavirin. I'm 1a and am
            hopeful about some of the therapies that attack the virus rather than stimulate the
            immune system. I suppose that will be 2007 or 2008. In the meantime, I'm
            eating well, resting well, keeping the stress at a minimum, and am abstaining
            completely from alcohol.

            I'll bet the treatment has helped you some. I wouldn't be afraid of trying it
            again.

            Yes, our salon is doing well. Just finished our 15th year in the same spot.
            Are you doing manicures?

            Good to hear from you.

            Gene

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
              Hi Donna,
              I also am very sorry to hear of your relapse. I wanted to say
              that I agree with what Gail has said. I think if you retreat it
              should be either with a different interferon or a stronger treatment.
              However, if your fibrosis is advanced then any treatment may be of
              benefit to help stop or slow progression. Have you had a biopsy, or
              are you planning a biopsy, any time soon? Even though you relapsed
              it's possible that the treatment helped your liver anyway.
              Good luck! I know you have really tough decisions to make.

              Claudine