My latest update, and another question

  • Arkhepcgal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2003
      Hi everyone.

      Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!

      I had gotten pulled from Pegasys/Copegus a couple of weeks ago because my
      platelets and wbc had dropped so low. I finally got some numbers on them so I
      can understand what is happening a little better...and thanks to so many of you
      who wrote gave me some great advice.

      I had a 5 day treatment of Neupogen and it shot my counts way up, so I
      started back on the Pegasys. The doc is consulting with an oncologist to figure out
      how much Neupogen I will need to take as maintainance to keep my counts
      steady.

      Now, something has happened and the doc isn't sure what the cause is, but he
      was going to check with the oncologist to see if the Neupogen was a factor. I
      was told that I could get some 'bone' pain while on the Neupogen and that for
      once, it would be a good pain as it meant the bone marrow was kicking in.

      I started on the Neupogen on Tuesday evening. On Friday had a pretty good
      backache, and my back felt really stiff. On Monday, I noticed a lump in the
      tailbone area...about the size of a grapefruit (around) and it was very sore
      around it and very painful to touch it.

      Since I had been diagnosed with Denergenative Disc Disease, with extreme
      sciatic nerve pain in both legs last May, and the lump is in the same area the doc
      couldn't be sure if it could be from that or the Neupogen. I hope to get
      some info Tuesday on what to do about or who to see with this lump.

      I'm having a very difficult time sleeping because I can't lay on my back
      because of that lump, yet I need to, to get relief from the sciatic pain. So, I
      have to lay on my side, which helps my neck but makes the sciatic nerve go
      crazy. I'm currently not having a lot of pain with that lump but my back is
      still really stiff and I have to be really careful about turning from my waist.

      I'm hoping someone out there may have some ideas/suggestions about this
      lump and what I can do to get more comfortable.

      Thanks to all of you,

      Betty in Arkansas

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2003
        Hi Betty,
        I have never heard of this happening before! I have no real
        ideas, but since your WBC was very low (leaving you open to
        infections) I would not rule out some other problem unrelated to the
        Neupogen, like maybe a cyst. Be sure and let us know if you find out
        what the problem is.

        Good luck,
        Claudine

        http://photos.yahoo.com/