A warning about dental work

  • Mary Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2003
      I wish I had thought to ask the group before I went ahead and did what I
      did.

      I have been on Pegetron for nearly 3 months, and my teeth picked this time
      to fall apart. I needed 3 crowns in a row on my upper left side. My dentist
      convinced me that it was just as easy to have all 3 done at once, and I
      thought it best to limit my time in the chair as well. Two days after having
      3 molars drilled down to nothing, I had a roaring and exquisitely painful
      ear infection on that side, and have lost the hearing on the right side.

      I can't be sure I wouldn't have an ear infection anyway, but I think 2 hours
      of drilling is very hard on the delicate little structures of the inner ear
      and was too much combined with the immune comprimising effects of
      Interferon.

      After 2 weeks of antibiotics, my hearing still hasn't returned so now
      another round of doctors visits etc.

      I would STRONGLY urge anyone who is considering heavy dental work to put it
      off if you can, and if you can't, consider taking prophylactic antibiotics.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2003
        Hi Mary

        My goodness, do you mean you had 3 root canals and crowns done at the same time? It takes awhile to do one, nevermind 3. How long were you in the chair getting this done? I can't believe a decent dentist would do all that work in one shot....it's too much. I'm not on tx, but the pills I take make my mouth very dry which leads to tooth problems....I just broke a tooth over Christmas, not bad enuff to be a root canal but I need some fillings done. Oooops I just noticed you said 2 hours of drilling, that's a lot...too much to suit me. I hope your hearing comes back soon. Keep us posted and good luck.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2003
          I didn't have to have root canals for all 3, but all 3 teeth had to be
          drilled to a stub. It took about 3 hours in the chair, with drilling going
          on for about half of that. The dentist is very good, and not many could have
          done so much so quickly. He wanted to do them at once because of the
          interferon, and not have me coming back over and over again, which increases
          risk of infection.
          Sorry to hear that you broke a tooth over Christmas; I have done that too.
          Why don't teeth ever break at a more convenient time, like just before you
          have to go out for a bad meal?