Get Some Sleep

  • Alley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2003
      I can't remember if I posted this already, if I did, sorry! ... Alley
      Get Some Sleep

      It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you'll feel better
      after a good amount of shut eye than you would if you'd stayed awake all
      night. But scientists are working to prove that theory anyway.

      Experts based in Germany monitored volunteers who received vaccines for
      hepatitis A infection. They discovered those who slept well afterward
      demonstrated a better immune reaction to the treatment.

      That means someone who had a good sleep might have an immune system that
      reacts more forcefully against a virus than those who seriously need to
      rest their eyes.

      But why might sleep be important to our health? Why does rest help our
      bodies? Those who worked on the study believe changes in hormones that
      occur when you're asleep might help immune function. They explain that
      sleep increases the release of both prolactin and growth hormone. And lab
      tests have hinted that those hormones might boost immune reaction.

      October 28, 2003

      CP24 Online news site
      Source URL: http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20031028-015/page.asp
      Related Article
      Good Night's Sleep May Benefit Immune System
      Tue October 28, 2003 02:40 PM ET
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=3707346