Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Insomnia

  • EnViolet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
      I am expereincing insomnia too, real bad. My doctor does not seem to want to
      prescribe anything for it and says to take Benadryl. I take two 25mg of
      Benadryl but that isnt working anymore. It definitely adds to the exhaustion level
      that you already have on treatment. Anyone know why he might be hesitant? I
      checked out as non detectable at month 3 and have 2 monthe of treatment left. I
      was grade 2 fibrosis so stil in a safe zone there. Has anyone tried anything
      over the counter that works for them ?

    • Alley
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
        Try Melatonin (sp) it's over the counter and is a natural thingy that's in the brain to make you sleepy. It didn't keep me asleep but it will help me doze off.

        My primary doc says he'd rather I take a prescription sleep med and not take benadryl for sleep. It makes me groggy for 24 hours, not just 12 and it slows reaction time, he says worse than drinking the night before, for things like driving etc.

        I don't know why your doc won't give you meds to help sleep. I suggest talking to your primary care doc maybe to get some. What worked best for me was Elavil, an old antidepressant that isn't used for depression anymore but works great to help people with these kinds of problems sleep. It doesn't work for everyone of course, but it did work for me. Trazadone also works well, as does Ativan. I know people with end stage cirrhosis who take meds to help them sleep. So I don't know why your doc wouldn't unless he is just being very very careful with the meds he gives you. However, you are the only one who can know how your sleep is going, so either insist with him (he does work for you after all), or find a suppement doc to work with you in getting the extra meds you need to sleep.

        I get my sleep meds from my primary care physician. My gastro only prescribed my treatment meds. My psychiatrist and my primary doc did all the other prescribing (antidepressant, sleeping med, pain meds).

        Good luck! Let us know what happens.

      • w.m.landstra

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
            Thanks for the info Ally, I haven't tried my primary yet, so I will do that
            and you are so right about the benadryl, it makes me feel the same way , groggy
            and wiped out .

          • EnViolet@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
              Thanks Willem for the advice.
              I just lost my job and my dogs hind legs stopped working this week. It seems
              like everything happens at once sometimes. I have to get him to a neurologist
              which will be very expensive but I have no choice, dogs are like children to
              me and I have to know I am doing everything I can even if I end up living under
              a bridge in the process hahaha. But I do feel lucky to be a responder so far
              so I am trying to only focus on that good news at this time and look at the
              other stuff as life and its ups and downs.

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                --- Alley <alleypat@...> wrote:
                > Willem said <<Texas it must be a feast,flat,no crowded roads and
                > sunshine.>>
                >
                > haaaaaaaaaaaaaa Mostly flat yes.
                >
                > Sunshine yes (except today, it's finally raining and we are finally
                > getting some autumn weather, it's been late this year)
                >
                > No crowded roads? Well, maybe not out in the boonies but round
                > these parts it's bumper to bumper.

                I think Willem has been watching too many Western's! We have LOTS of
                hills down here, and in west Texas, and the roads are pretty much
                crowded everywhere - except like you said, out in the boonies.

                http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                  --- EnViolet@... wrote:
                  > I am expereincing insomnia too, real bad. My doctor does not seem
                  > to want to
                  > prescribe anything for it and says to take Benadryl. I take two
                  > 25mg of Benadryl but that isnt working anymore.

                  Tell him that 25mg of Benadryl is not working any more, and that this
                  is a MAJOR problem in your life and you NEED your sleep! If he won't
                  help, and none of the other things I suggested help, try seeing your
                  primary care doctor for something to sleep.

                  Good luck,

                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                    There is a small amount of Valerian in 'Sleepytime' tea, but any more
                    than that MIGHT not be too good since it can sometimes cause
                    elevations in liver enzymes. I don't think the small amount in
                    Sleepytime would hurt. Combining it with Port is probably NOT a good
                    idea, especially not while on treatment. Benedryl is VERY commonly
                    prescribed for insomnia while on treatment. I haven't heard of any
                    problems with it liver-wise, although it can affect different people
                    differently.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                      HI.OK claudine you.re the expert but I know how bad insomnia is and personally I don.t think a glass of port hurts, the valerian I don.t know I asked my healthfood supplier and she said it was save to take,in moderation mind you.While I was on treatment and the two trials I was allowed to drink two glasses of wine a day but they advised against drinking tea or coffee.It.s a matter of choosing between two things,insomnia or a little help from your friends,valerie and portella.Willem.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                          Hi.I have only been in the dallas and houston area and there everyting was flat.I was looking for texans with rednecks but I did.nt see any,where are they?Or do they round them up and use them in spagetti-westerns,where we europeans get the wrong picture of Texas.Same like you think that all dutch wear woodenshoes and smoke clay pipes.alley know better.Willem.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                            Hey I got my wooden shoes! :) And my cowboy hat and 2 pair of cowboy boots.

                            Have a good weekend :)

                            Alley
                            Grand Prairie, Tx

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                              No, I'm no expert! Just opinionated, lol! I don't think the Valerian
                              is bad in small amounts either, but there is just a tendency to think
                              if a little is ok a lot is better. As for the port, and wine - my
                              doctor had told me an occasional glass of wine was ok too, and all my
                              docs say it's ok for me to have an occasional glass of wine right
                              now, as long as that is all it is. I have no liver damage, and I'm
                              not on treatment. But there is some evidence in studies that alcohol
                              while on treatment can reduce your chance of a response. Nothing
                              proved, but who knows? Actually, while alcohol can make you feel
                              drowsy and fall asleep it can interfere with the deep restful sleep
                              which you need to feel rested.
                              Claudine

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                                ROFLMAO.....you are something else Willem....spagetti westerns LOL. And I know how it is in Holland, Francina sends me pics....we have the same weather too.

                                Hugggggs

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                  Hi Willem, thanks for the encouraging words, I was able to borrow money from
                                  a friend that I can pay back over the next year so now its just a wait and
                                  see, it can take a while for them to recover and walk again if they are going
                                  too. He was overweight so we have to be strong and keep him on a diet. He is such
                                  a cute begger that we broke down too many times and fed him when we should
                                  not have.