Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Insomnia

  • Alley
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 7, 2003
      Willem said <<Texas it must be a feast,flat,no crowded roads and sunshine.>>

      haaaaaaaaaaaaaa Mostly flat yes.

      Sunshine yes (except today, it's finally raining and we are finally getting some autumn weather, it's been late this year)

      No crowded roads? Well, maybe not out in the boonies but round these parts it's bumper to bumper.

      And hepper to hepper :)

      Univ of SW Medical School is doing a study about HIV and HBV and other STD's in men. The guy never said anything about HCV. He said that isn't considered an STD. Interesting huh.

      It's FRIDAY! Which means hubby will be home for 4 days, taking vacation, and I dunno if I'll get anything done while he's here lol. But at least I'll have the car so I can get out and about. We're planning on seeing The Matrix. (whatever the 3rd one is called)

      Have a safe and fun weekend yall!

    • EnViolet@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
        I am expereincing insomnia too, real bad. My doctor does not seem to want to
        prescribe anything for it and says to take Benadryl. I take two 25mg of
        Benadryl but that isnt working anymore. It definitely adds to the exhaustion level
        that you already have on treatment. Anyone know why he might be hesitant? I
        checked out as non detectable at month 3 and have 2 monthe of treatment left. I
        was grade 2 fibrosis so stil in a safe zone there. Has anyone tried anything
        over the counter that works for them ?

      • Alley
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
          Try Melatonin (sp) it's over the counter and is a natural thingy that's in the brain to make you sleepy. It didn't keep me asleep but it will help me doze off.

          My primary doc says he'd rather I take a prescription sleep med and not take benadryl for sleep. It makes me groggy for 24 hours, not just 12 and it slows reaction time, he says worse than drinking the night before, for things like driving etc.

          I don't know why your doc won't give you meds to help sleep. I suggest talking to your primary care doc maybe to get some. What worked best for me was Elavil, an old antidepressant that isn't used for depression anymore but works great to help people with these kinds of problems sleep. It doesn't work for everyone of course, but it did work for me. Trazadone also works well, as does Ativan. I know people with end stage cirrhosis who take meds to help them sleep. So I don't know why your doc wouldn't unless he is just being very very careful with the meds he gives you. However, you are the only one who can know how your sleep is going, so either insist with him (he does work for you after all), or find a suppement doc to work with you in getting the extra meds you need to sleep.

          I get my sleep meds from my primary care physician. My gastro only prescribed my treatment meds. My psychiatrist and my primary doc did all the other prescribing (antidepressant, sleeping med, pain meds).

          Good luck! Let us know what happens.

        • w.m.landstra

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
              Thanks for the info Ally, I haven't tried my primary yet, so I will do that
              and you are so right about the benadryl, it makes me feel the same way , groggy
              and wiped out .

            • EnViolet@aol.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                Thanks Willem for the advice.
                I just lost my job and my dogs hind legs stopped working this week. It seems
                like everything happens at once sometimes. I have to get him to a neurologist
                which will be very expensive but I have no choice, dogs are like children to
                me and I have to know I am doing everything I can even if I end up living under
                a bridge in the process hahaha. But I do feel lucky to be a responder so far
                so I am trying to only focus on that good news at this time and look at the
                other stuff as life and its ups and downs.

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                  --- Alley <alleypat@...> wrote:
                  > Willem said <<Texas it must be a feast,flat,no crowded roads and
                  > sunshine.>>
                  >
                  > haaaaaaaaaaaaaa Mostly flat yes.
                  >
                  > Sunshine yes (except today, it's finally raining and we are finally
                  > getting some autumn weather, it's been late this year)
                  >
                  > No crowded roads? Well, maybe not out in the boonies but round
                  > these parts it's bumper to bumper.

                  I think Willem has been watching too many Western's! We have LOTS of
                  hills down here, and in west Texas, and the roads are pretty much
                  crowded everywhere - except like you said, out in the boonies.

                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                    --- EnViolet@... wrote:
                    > I am expereincing insomnia too, real bad. My doctor does not seem
                    > to want to
                    > prescribe anything for it and says to take Benadryl. I take two
                    > 25mg of Benadryl but that isnt working anymore.

                    Tell him that 25mg of Benadryl is not working any more, and that this
                    is a MAJOR problem in your life and you NEED your sleep! If he won't
                    help, and none of the other things I suggested help, try seeing your
                    primary care doctor for something to sleep.

                    Good luck,

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                      There is a small amount of Valerian in 'Sleepytime' tea, but any more
                      than that MIGHT not be too good since it can sometimes cause
                      elevations in liver enzymes. I don't think the small amount in
                      Sleepytime would hurt. Combining it with Port is probably NOT a good
                      idea, especially not while on treatment. Benedryl is VERY commonly
                      prescribed for insomnia while on treatment. I haven't heard of any
                      problems with it liver-wise, although it can affect different people
                      differently.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                        HI.OK claudine you.re the expert but I know how bad insomnia is and personally I don.t think a glass of port hurts, the valerian I don.t know I asked my healthfood supplier and she said it was save to take,in moderation mind you.While I was on treatment and the two trials I was allowed to drink two glasses of wine a day but they advised against drinking tea or coffee.It.s a matter of choosing between two things,insomnia or a little help from your friends,valerie and portella.Willem.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                            Hi.I have only been in the dallas and houston area and there everyting was flat.I was looking for texans with rednecks but I did.nt see any,where are they?Or do they round them up and use them in spagetti-westerns,where we europeans get the wrong picture of Texas.Same like you think that all dutch wear woodenshoes and smoke clay pipes.alley know better.Willem.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                              Hey I got my wooden shoes! :) And my cowboy hat and 2 pair of cowboy boots.

                              Have a good weekend :)

                              Alley
                              Grand Prairie, Tx

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                                No, I'm no expert! Just opinionated, lol! I don't think the Valerian
                                is bad in small amounts either, but there is just a tendency to think
                                if a little is ok a lot is better. As for the port, and wine - my
                                doctor had told me an occasional glass of wine was ok too, and all my
                                docs say it's ok for me to have an occasional glass of wine right
                                now, as long as that is all it is. I have no liver damage, and I'm
                                not on treatment. But there is some evidence in studies that alcohol
                                while on treatment can reduce your chance of a response. Nothing
                                proved, but who knows? Actually, while alcohol can make you feel
                                drowsy and fall asleep it can interfere with the deep restful sleep
                                which you need to feel rested.
                                Claudine

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                                  ROFLMAO.....you are something else Willem....spagetti westerns LOL. And I know how it is in Holland, Francina sends me pics....we have the same weather too.

                                  Hugggggs

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                    Hi Willem, thanks for the encouraging words, I was able to borrow money from
                                    a friend that I can pay back over the next year so now its just a wait and
                                    see, it can take a while for them to recover and walk again if they are going
                                    too. He was overweight so we have to be strong and keep him on a diet. He is such
                                    a cute begger that we broke down too many times and fed him when we should
                                    not have.