Wendy Marx dies awaiting her 3rd transplant at 36 yrs old

  • Alley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      I like to read these not because I'm a morbid person or one of those necropheliacs ! haha but because I want to know who and why and how. Here it says she got her hep b from getting her wisdom teeth removed and so that has me wondering, you don't usually receive blood when having one removed (some instances require extensive work and the patient must be put out and the jaw bone laid open (ie out of socket). Mine were impacted and had to see an oral surgeon and had them all removed. Easiest time I ever had at the dentist! Perhaps this comes from the fact that hep b is resistant to certain sterilization procedures, most actually and the sterilization may get rid of most of the virus, but often, not 100% in autoclave. I think there are new standards now about dental sterilization which kills em dead, not just pretend dead. I hope.

      Anyway I thought yall might find this interesting..... Alley

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031031/ap_on_re_us/deaths_35

      Wendy Marx

      STANFORD, Calif. (AP) - Wendy Marx, president of the Wendy Marx Foundation for Organ Donor Awareness, died Tuesday awaiting her third transplant. She was 36.

      Wendy and Jeffrey Marx and Olympic champion Carl Lewis (news - web sites), a family friend, founded the Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit organization in 1990 to increase public awareness about the need for organ donors.

      Marx received her first transplant in 1989 at age 22 after a severe case of hepatitis B destroyed her liver. She had a second transplant in 1992 after the virus struck again, and although she remained in good health with the aid of medication until about a year and a half ago, she never knew when the virus might return.

      Doctors theorized she may have first contracted the highly infectious virus that attacks the liver while having her wisdom teeth removed.

      Over the last decade, she traveled across the country, publicizing the need for organ donations and working with local hospitals, organ banks and community groups.

      The Marx Foundation has helped start a fellowship program to educate young doctors about organ transplants. In 1990, the Marx group and the National Kidney Foundation launched the U.S. Transplant Games.

      The foundation has also worked on transplant and donor awareness programs in more than 25 states, as well as national and regional programs.