Insomnia

  • Mary Johnson
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2003
      Is insomnia something that settles down after the first few weeks; or am I
      doomed to 4 hours a night for the next year? I shouldn't complain (I know
      mothers often don't sleep as much) but I am tired enough without the
      insomnia.
    • Alley
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2003
        I had a lot of insomnia while on treatment (and has progressed to my normal state of affairs after treatment). My doc gave me some meds to take at night. He says getting good rest is very important esp during treatment. I had to experiment with a few to find the one that I liked. Don't hesitate to talk to your doc about it.

      • w.m.landstra

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2003
            on 11/1/03 3:06 PM, Mary Johnson at mej42@... wrote:

            > Is insomnia something that settles down after the first few weeks; or am I
            > doomed to 4 hours a night for the next year?

            Insomnia comes with treatment. See if your doc can prescribe something.
            Flexeril is good for putting you to sleep plus koncking out muscle pain at
            the same time. I started out with 10mg, but 5mg (half a pill) is sufficient
            for most people.

            gail
          • Alley
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2003
              Willem said <<let him give you a massage,massage only!!, >>
              Willem you are no fun at all! :)

              <<your buddy use a slashhamer>>
              now you're talking

              The further you get away from doing treatment, when you finish, the better your sleep will be. It may never go back to what you had before treatment, but believe us, it's the treatment and it is common.

              Did everyone have a happy halloween? (what a cliche). My grandsons visited and dressed up as ninjas (they are 5 and 6) and they brought home some good candy yum yum :) so much for Grandma's diet!

              Alley
              Grand Prairie, Tx, USA
              http://alleypat.home.comcast.net
              alleypat@...

            • w.m.landstra

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 6, 2003
                  Mary,
                  I had insomnia from day one of treatment and it continued the
                  whole year. INSIST on something to help with sleep! It doesn't get
                  better, and combined with normal fatigue from treatment it can be a
                  major problem. Besides drugs specifically for sleep some doctors will
                  prescribe cyclobenzaprine (Flexerill), Xanax, Valium, or
                  amitriptyline (Elavil). Also, you might try the following
                  suggestions:

                  Bathe or shower no less than 30 minutes prior to bedtime. Showering
                  just before getting into bed can interfere with sleep.

                  Go to bed at the same time every night.

                  Develop a prebedtime routine to 'wind-down'. Soft light, relaxing
                  music, etc.

                  Drink an herbal tea such as Sleepytime or Chamomile before bed, 1 or
                  2 cups. (You can incorporate this into the prebedtime routine.)

                  Eliminate ALL Caffeine from your diet.

                  Try Melatonin, 300mcg (3mg) taken 15 minutes prior to bedtime. It
                  works for some, not everyone.

                  If you aren't on an antidepressant get on one. If you are, check the
                  one you are on. Side effects can vary from person to person, and some
                  can aggravate insomnia while others can help.

                  Benedryl (this is the ingredient in Tylenol PM which makes you
                  drowsy). Ask your doctor about it too. I've know some people who's
                  doctors prescribed between 80 to 125 mg nightly. These are
                  prescription strength doses so discuss with your MD. A normal dose is
                  25 to 50 mg.

                  Exercise everyday, but early in the day, not in the evening. This
                  will help in other areas besides the insomnia. I know it sounds
                  impossible when you are feeling wiped out, but start slowly and work
                  up to at least a good 30 minutes a day. Walking, especially outside
                  in some fresh air, is especially good.

                  Avoid high protein foods close to bedtime. Eat a high complex
                  carbohydrate snack about 30 minutes to an hour before bed. Not much,
                  just something like a piece of whole wheat toast. The exception to
                  the protein rule is turkey. It has compounds which make you drowsy.

                  Good luck. I hope sometime here helps!

                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 6, 2003
                    --- "w.m.landstra" <lands142@...> wrote:

                    > A year after I stopped
                    > I sleep normal again,the brainfog is still there hence my sometimes
                    > weird emails.Willem.

                    I see! So THAT'S the excuse you are claiming???!!

                    PS: What's a 'slashhamer'? :)
                    <<your buddy use a slashhamer>>

                    (You know we really love your weird emails)

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 7, 2003
                      HI.A slashhamer is a rather heavy hamer ,you can slash with it.Glad you hve excepted my excuse.After stopping treatment I.am still very speedy.I don.t know the cause,mabye my liver is function again at pre-Hep-level or it.s the the treatment which changed something in my nerve-whatever-system.After TX the energy came back,not bouncing but very gradually.I bought a racing bike and a racing outfit.Last sunday I went to see my brother who lives 20 mls away,when I arrived,mind you I.am not a youngster,I must hve looked silly in that outfit,tight rainbow coloured panti,a racing helmet,sneaky shoes,and wearing armani-sunglasses.My brother had doubts about me and afterwards brought me back in his van,he considered it irresponsible going back another 20mls in the dark,I protested but in reality I was happy he did so.Anyway biking is lovely and I suppose in Texas it must be a feast,flat,no crowded roads and sunshine.Willem.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 7, 2003
                          Willem said <<Texas it must be a feast,flat,no crowded roads and sunshine.>>

                          haaaaaaaaaaaaaa Mostly flat yes.

                          Sunshine yes (except today, it's finally raining and we are finally getting some autumn weather, it's been late this year)

                          No crowded roads? Well, maybe not out in the boonies but round these parts it's bumper to bumper.

                          And hepper to hepper :)

                          Univ of SW Medical School is doing a study about HIV and HBV and other STD's in men. The guy never said anything about HCV. He said that isn't considered an STD. Interesting huh.

                          It's FRIDAY! Which means hubby will be home for 4 days, taking vacation, and I dunno if I'll get anything done while he's here lol. But at least I'll have the car so I can get out and about. We're planning on seeing The Matrix. (whatever the 3rd one is called)

                          Have a safe and fun weekend yall!

                        • EnViolet@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                            I am expereincing insomnia too, real bad. My doctor does not seem to want to
                            prescribe anything for it and says to take Benadryl. I take two 25mg of
                            Benadryl but that isnt working anymore. It definitely adds to the exhaustion level
                            that you already have on treatment. Anyone know why he might be hesitant? I
                            checked out as non detectable at month 3 and have 2 monthe of treatment left. I
                            was grade 2 fibrosis so stil in a safe zone there. Has anyone tried anything
                            over the counter that works for them ?

                          • Alley
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                              Try Melatonin (sp) it's over the counter and is a natural thingy that's in the brain to make you sleepy. It didn't keep me asleep but it will help me doze off.

                              My primary doc says he'd rather I take a prescription sleep med and not take benadryl for sleep. It makes me groggy for 24 hours, not just 12 and it slows reaction time, he says worse than drinking the night before, for things like driving etc.

                              I don't know why your doc won't give you meds to help sleep. I suggest talking to your primary care doc maybe to get some. What worked best for me was Elavil, an old antidepressant that isn't used for depression anymore but works great to help people with these kinds of problems sleep. It doesn't work for everyone of course, but it did work for me. Trazadone also works well, as does Ativan. I know people with end stage cirrhosis who take meds to help them sleep. So I don't know why your doc wouldn't unless he is just being very very careful with the meds he gives you. However, you are the only one who can know how your sleep is going, so either insist with him (he does work for you after all), or find a suppement doc to work with you in getting the extra meds you need to sleep.

                              I get my sleep meds from my primary care physician. My gastro only prescribed my treatment meds. My psychiatrist and my primary doc did all the other prescribing (antidepressant, sleeping med, pain meds).

                              Good luck! Let us know what happens.

                            • w.m.landstra

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                                  Thanks for the info Ally, I haven't tried my primary yet, so I will do that
                                  and you are so right about the benadryl, it makes me feel the same way , groggy
                                  and wiped out .

                                • EnViolet@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                                    Thanks Willem for the advice.
                                    I just lost my job and my dogs hind legs stopped working this week. It seems
                                    like everything happens at once sometimes. I have to get him to a neurologist
                                    which will be very expensive but I have no choice, dogs are like children to
                                    me and I have to know I am doing everything I can even if I end up living under
                                    a bridge in the process hahaha. But I do feel lucky to be a responder so far
                                    so I am trying to only focus on that good news at this time and look at the
                                    other stuff as life and its ups and downs.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                                      --- Alley <alleypat@...> wrote:
                                      > Willem said <<Texas it must be a feast,flat,no crowded roads and
                                      > sunshine.>>
                                      >
                                      > haaaaaaaaaaaaaa Mostly flat yes.
                                      >
                                      > Sunshine yes (except today, it's finally raining and we are finally
                                      > getting some autumn weather, it's been late this year)
                                      >
                                      > No crowded roads? Well, maybe not out in the boonies but round
                                      > these parts it's bumper to bumper.

                                      I think Willem has been watching too many Western's! We have LOTS of
                                      hills down here, and in west Texas, and the roads are pretty much
                                      crowded everywhere - except like you said, out in the boonies.

                                      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                                        --- EnViolet@... wrote:
                                        > I am expereincing insomnia too, real bad. My doctor does not seem
                                        > to want to
                                        > prescribe anything for it and says to take Benadryl. I take two
                                        > 25mg of Benadryl but that isnt working anymore.

                                        Tell him that 25mg of Benadryl is not working any more, and that this
                                        is a MAJOR problem in your life and you NEED your sleep! If he won't
                                        help, and none of the other things I suggested help, try seeing your
                                        primary care doctor for something to sleep.

                                        Good luck,

                                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 8, 2003
                                          There is a small amount of Valerian in 'Sleepytime' tea, but any more
                                          than that MIGHT not be too good since it can sometimes cause
                                          elevations in liver enzymes. I don't think the small amount in
                                          Sleepytime would hurt. Combining it with Port is probably NOT a good
                                          idea, especially not while on treatment. Benedryl is VERY commonly
                                          prescribed for insomnia while on treatment. I haven't heard of any
                                          problems with it liver-wise, although it can affect different people
                                          differently.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                                            HI.OK claudine you.re the expert but I know how bad insomnia is and personally I don.t think a glass of port hurts, the valerian I don.t know I asked my healthfood supplier and she said it was save to take,in moderation mind you.While I was on treatment and the two trials I was allowed to drink two glasses of wine a day but they advised against drinking tea or coffee.It.s a matter of choosing between two things,insomnia or a little help from your friends,valerie and portella.Willem.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                                                Hi.I have only been in the dallas and houston area and there everyting was flat.I was looking for texans with rednecks but I did.nt see any,where are they?Or do they round them up and use them in spagetti-westerns,where we europeans get the wrong picture of Texas.Same like you think that all dutch wear woodenshoes and smoke clay pipes.alley know better.Willem.

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                                                  Hey I got my wooden shoes! :) And my cowboy hat and 2 pair of cowboy boots.

                                                  Have a good weekend :)

                                                  Alley
                                                  Grand Prairie, Tx

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                                                    No, I'm no expert! Just opinionated, lol! I don't think the Valerian
                                                    is bad in small amounts either, but there is just a tendency to think
                                                    if a little is ok a lot is better. As for the port, and wine - my
                                                    doctor had told me an occasional glass of wine was ok too, and all my
                                                    docs say it's ok for me to have an occasional glass of wine right
                                                    now, as long as that is all it is. I have no liver damage, and I'm
                                                    not on treatment. But there is some evidence in studies that alcohol
                                                    while on treatment can reduce your chance of a response. Nothing
                                                    proved, but who knows? Actually, while alcohol can make you feel
                                                    drowsy and fall asleep it can interfere with the deep restful sleep
                                                    which you need to feel rested.
                                                    Claudine

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 9, 2003
                                                      ROFLMAO.....you are something else Willem....spagetti westerns LOL. And I know how it is in Holland, Francina sends me pics....we have the same weather too.

                                                      Hugggggs

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                                        Hi Willem, thanks for the encouraging words, I was able to borrow money from
                                                        a friend that I can pay back over the next year so now its just a wait and
                                                        see, it can take a while for them to recover and walk again if they are going
                                                        too. He was overweight so we have to be strong and keep him on a diet. He is such
                                                        a cute begger that we broke down too many times and fed him when we should
                                                        not have.