Growth Hormone Secretion & Sleep

  • AlleyPat
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2003
      (I only copied part of this article, because it went on to suggest a product, but the part I copied is useful and agrees with many studies I've read that stage 4 sleep is required for the body to heal itself.... Alley )

      Studies Show Disrupted Growth Hormone Secretion Among Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia Patients
      ProHealthNetwork.com

      10-04-2001

      Sleep is crucial to everybody's health. Sleep acts like the oil we put in the car-it keeps everything running smoothly, and when the oil level is low, things begin to go wrong. Growth hormone is replenished during deep sleep, but when sleep is disturbed, how will you produce enough of the hormone? There are four stages of sleep that each of us experiences, with most of the time spent in deep, stage four sleep, characterized by the presence of delta waves. Approximately 60-90% of Fibromyalgia patients report trouble sleeping (some reports suggest that as many as 100% of patients have un-refreshing sleep.) Likewise, David Bell, M.D., reports that sleep disturbance is present in almost all [CFS] patients.

      Growth hormone is almost entirely produced during delta- wave present deep sleep. Simply, if you're not sleeping deeply, you're probably not producing adequate levels of growth hormone. This theory was tested specifically with Fibromyalgia patients.

      In a study led by Robert Bennett, M.D., PhD from the Oregon Health Sciences University, 70 female FM patients and 55 health controls were evaluated to see if the stage four sleep disruption seen in the FM patients disrupted growth hormone secretion. The results showed that a distinct disruption in growth hormone was found in the majority of FM patients. Researchers also suggested a correlation between disturbed sleep and predisposition to muscle pain.

      Some of the symptoms of growth hormone deficiency are remarkably similar to the symptoms of CFS and FM. They include, diminished energy, impaired cognition, muscle weakness, reduced exercise capacity, cold intolerance, depression, and poor general health.

      http://www.prohealthnetwork.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/226/T/Health/cat/sleep/

    • Greg L Newman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2003
        thanks for the good article on hgh levels and delta sleep
        Greg

        Open a PayPal Account today for online purchases &/or for Credit/Debit Cards

        Get a $5 Bonus just for signing up & opening an account with a funds transfer! Fast & Easy! Pay for auction purchases or buy at 1000s of online stores. Click here:
        https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=WJXYDUMUSEY8W