RE: I'm giving up too / Carol

  • C.J.
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2003
      Hi Carol~`As I said, I just dropped into to check one everyone. Gee,
      I hope you folks rem me. Carol, you have waited so long for
      treatment~~~I don't EVEN know how you have been so patient. Please
      don't give up on it. You said you had to have some blood tets that
      showed high ALT's. This totally BLOWS MY MIND! I know it's a good
      thing that you are showing near normal ALT, but I too have read that
      showing normal alts and ast's the disease can still be wreaking havoc
      on your body. Can you not take in copies of your blood work where
      your enzymes were high and show them~~~~wouldn't that help some? Some
      people show a yo-yo effect as I'm sure you are aware of. I just can't
      belive when you were so close to treatment, and now this. Again, same
      with Tatezi in her case, there has to be someone over top of whoever
      is trying to deny you treatment!! You can't give up~~~~you have
      showed so much strength! Please don't give up. But, really, can't you
      get your past blood work where it shows your enzymes were high and
      that make you eligible for treatment. Please just don't give up.
      Cher
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 23, 2003
        Thanks Cher....I basically answered this on your forum....but NOPE, I can't get around this b.s. The rules state ALT level must be one and a half times normal to qualify for tx. It even blew my GIdocs mind that I tested this time so low. I saw my regular Dr. today and he gave me bloodtest forms for every 2-3 months. I also have edema and blood pressure that he says is a "little high". So I'm on diuretics everyday and have to go back in a few weeks for another blood pressure reading. I've always had rather lowish blood pressure....argggggg. However, I don't have ascities "yet". I told my doc that I was going to take MSM to raise my level, and he asked what MSM was.....argggggggg. All this fun is just too amusing LOL.

        Huggggs

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 23, 2003
          Well, I'm in Dallas, and my alts were normal when I did tx.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 24, 2003
            Alley, I'm in Canada....socialized medicine blab blab blab. A whole different ball park.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 24, 2003
              Ah well Carol, that explains it. Sorry I didnt remember. However, I have read that people with cirrhosis and even end stage liver disease will have normal liver enzymes because there are no more liver cells to kill (oversimplification but at 2am it'll do, you know what I mean :). So, if that is your case, what do they base no treatment on then? How do they know? (curious)

              What is your bp? Mine has always been a little low, though now on these anti depressants it's up to "normal" and seems high to me. My normal runs 100 - 110 / 60 - 70. On these meds it runs 120 - 130 / 70 - 90 Usually, if my top number gets above 120, I got a migraine, but on the antid's, that's not the case (thankfully).

              On the drinking thing.. I think the last time I had a glass of wine was in Amsterdam with Willem! :) Maybe I'll have another one next year with you. I dont' think alcohol is any more a killer than a aspirin or Tylenol (in fact, I think Tylenol is worse for the hepper liver than an occasional drink). It's all in how it's used. If you're smart about your health, you know if you can have an occasional drink or not. Most heppers don't drink, or drink so rarely it isn't worth mentioning. It can be a balance of age, liver health and heart health.

              About a month ago I went to my first (and so far only) Overeaters Anonymous meeting. One lady was whining about a meeting she attended at work where only high calorie carbs were served and she felt put out over it. As if they were forcing the food down her throat. Was that right or wrong? For her, obviously it wasn't a good situation. She's a food addict. It greatly impacts her health. But do we say every carbohydrate is a killer? Instead of becoming proactive and working within the system to change the menu to include things that would be more beneficial to her health, she chose instead to feel slighted and whine about it. Well, those of you who know me, know that I can't jive with that. I thought if this is the kind of behavior they enable, it's not the kind of support I need. So I haven't returned.

              A lot of my life is lived for the now. I think most of us live that way, though we may not realize it. I don't condone any " - isms ". But I do condone living and enjoying life. At my age and liver health, I'm far less worried about an occasional beer (ug I hate beer, change that to white russian or pina colada) or glass of wine than I am about getting cancer or clogged arteries. I excercise, eat my broccoli, and take my fish oil, and guess what? I'm still gonna die someday :)

              Judy, if you're doctor wants to list you, why not? I would think the sooner you get listed, the sooner you get results. It often takes years to get a liver, is my understanding, so it's not like you get listed then get a liver. Most people DON"T get a liver, sad but true. I'd advise getting listed and pray for the best.

              Just my late night ramblings :)

            • Suzy Balone
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                what level does msm raise? and guess i will have to keep reading to find ot
                what happened to tat

                I told my doc that I was going to take MSM to raise my level,

                Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month
                (depending on the local service providers in your area).
                https://broadband.msn.com
              • Greg L Newman
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Hi Carole, I found these 2 sites, the 1st leads to the 2nd, where I got the quote. According to this, whatever else it raises, it also raises the level of permeability of the cell tissues wherever it is applied. Greg Newman
                  Where it speaks of toxic buildup, in the news yesterday was something from a top university, UCSD, about a substance found in red meats called Neu5Gc or Neu3Gc that is ooo eee ooo non-human. Sounds funny at first I know, but ... they mean nonhuman as in humans don't produce it, don't use it, don't need it, actually fight against it with immune cells. This stuff, like the toxins mentioned below, also gets imbedded in the body. It comes from red meats (and something about dairy products too). Bummer hmm?

                  Imbedded in the body and causes immune responses everytwhere. Inflammation. Leads to aging, deterioration, illness, debilitation. Makes sense to me from what I know and experienced as a dietician/nutritionist since the mid sixties. Get me a week on bad food & drink and I'm twitching and sick and slow and pale and you know what I mean. And I won't touch milk anymore though I am trying to reinstate my self-imposed ban on ice cream. I stumbled and haven't been able to say no for some time.

                  Anyway, about MSM, it sounds real interesting to try. Generally, a gentle flow of nutrients through the body is good. IF you got too much A-Z 900 bottles plus meals etc you take each day, that actually wears one down from overload. Digestion requires a lot of work for the body. Lots of times, people don't need to eat that meal at the table. Just take the salad. We store a lot of nutrients, and mostly our bodies use our food stores pretty good, especially the better we eat and exercise (moderately consistently). I have prob 200 dif types of health pills from herbs to vitamins & minerals to aminos to non-alcoholic extracts. All of them are great, but you can't eat them all everyday. Some are staples of the diet you should take everyday, but others no. If MSM will stop your pain or solve your problem, if it's not toxic as stated by many, then what's the harm in trying it to see. It might be one for daily application. I must say it looks good for pain relief and cleansing, but it appears
                  to do it very well which might mean a person needs to take it very very slow at first and watch the effects. And do like I do, take some info to one of your doctors and ask them for a qualified opinion, not just a comment, but if they don't kow, read the info, verify it, and next appt give you a qualified (as in 'researched') opinion. I don't mean a new doctor, but one who knows you and your condition(s).

                  Gotta go,

                  Greg
                  http://www.arthritisinformation.net/toc.htmhttp://www.bulkmsm.com/Basically MSM can be used both internally and externally. When applied on the outside of the body it penetrates through the skin (or scalp) very rapidly and improves the health of that area where it is absorbed.You can also swallow MSM as a loose powder (by the teaspoonful) or in capsules, tablets and in other ways.MSM is often referred to as a "penetrant." It makes the walls of individual cells more "permeable." This means that the cells can more easily get rid of garbage that is constantly being created inside the cell, and the cell can also absorb nutrients more easily.This characteristic of "increasing permeability" of cells explains its ability to relieve pain. Pain if often caused by an accumulation of toxic buildup in the joints, muscles and fluids. Inflammation of joints is often also caused by toxic buildups in those areas -- the MSM is a powerful detoxifier.Vibrant Life has the exclusive license to
                  represent one of the largest manufacturers of MSM in the world, and brings you this wonderful substance at prices that are generally lower than any other source.Our MSM is also the only MSM on the US market with a certificate of analysis and purity from an independent testing lab. In fact, the testing lab is probably the largest testing lab service in the world, with offices and laboratories in more than 100 different countries.Finally, B&B International brings you the widest range of MSM products offered by anyone in the world. You name it! If it is logical for some product to be made with MSM, we have it.

                  Open a PayPal Account today for online purchases &/or for Credit/Debit Cards

                  Get a $5 Bonus just for signing up & opening an account with a funds transfer! Fast & Easy! Pay for auction purchases or buy at 1000s of online stores. Click here:
                  https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=WJXYDUMUSEY8W